Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: "AK as only rifle" thread got me thinking . . .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Actually, I was thinking that kal should find himself in a TIC with an AK and run dry, without a lockback.

Then try to fumble-**** a reload, under fire, under stress, with an AK and with an AR.
    I was being polite because I'm new here, but yes I was thinking something along these lines.

Reloading at night by burning Mercedes truck light while the drivers are freaking the **** out.
    Nothing man-portable is guaranteed to end a fight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWulf View Post
    I was being polite because I'm new here, but yes I was thinking something along these lines.

Reloading at night by burning Mercedes truck light while the drivers are freaking the **** out.
    Don't forget having hands slippery with blood because you cut yourself on the dust cover again.

I try to wear gloves all the time, but don't always succeed, and sure as shit, that little bitch bites me when I don't.

Feedback Score
    Geez, 5 rounds? Is that a matter of spring pressure like the other mags, or is it more of an issue with mag shape? Is the mag tight in general and the slight spring pressure just puts it over the edge?
    In my situation, I don't believe it's the mag springs. They are not stiff compared to my romanian ak mags, for example. I think the mag lock cut-out on my c-product mags are a bit lower than spec, or it's a recurring problem in the ar15 system, some more noticable than others.

Heck, that's not a bug, that's a feature. The front of the AK mag is narrower, so you tip it up at the right angle and you get a narrow part of the mag into a wide part of the magwell, then you just move up and rock it. It's like a funnel since it isn't a perfect square.
    I never said it was a bug. I understood it was due to the magazine shape. However, I have had some trouble with that feature, but I have no other rock-n-lock rifles to compare my AK with to see if that's 100% the cause of mis-insertion.

Feedback Score
    Don't forget having hands slippery with blood because you cut yourself on the dust cover again.
    I don't think all AK dust covers are like that.

I remember shooting a romanian SAR-3 that had a SHARP corner where the casing would hit upon ejection. My 7.62x39mm romanian AK has the same stamped dust cover but the sharp corner doesn't exist.

Other romanian AK's I've seen at the gun shows/shops didn't have the sharp dust cover either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    I don't think all AK dust covers are like that.

I remember shooting a romanian SAR-3 that had a SHARP corner where the casing would hit upon ejection. My 7.62x39mm romanian AK has the same stamped dust cover but the sharp corner doesn't exist.

Other romanian AK's I've seen at the gun shows/shops didn't have the sharp dust cover either.
    Again, have you ever operated an AK under real stress? The dust cover does not have to be particularly sharp to cut the crap out of your hand. Mine is nicely radiused, but the location and and construction leaves a nice place to lacerate yourself, sharp or not.

It's not the end of the world, and it's really my fault, but it is what it is.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    I've not had any issued changing mags in my '58.

It would be nice for those who run galil's and vz58's to come forth with their experiences.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    Again, have you ever operated an AK under real stress? The dust cover does not have to be particularly sharp to cut the crap out of your hand. Mine is nicely radiused, but the location and and construction leaves a nice place to lacerate yourself, sharp or not.
    I purposely tried to cut myself with the dust cover on my AK and it just isn't happening. The edges and corners are just too smooth. The only sharp areas on my rifle is the rear sight and the side rail.

I'm convinced that not all warsaw pact AK's are the same in construction detail.
    Last edited by kal; 11-24-10 at 13:14.

Feedback Score
    I am really surprised that you don't see more AK's being run as primary rifles. Some of it probably has to do with them being seen as "cheap commie guns" and the shit ergos are probably the other part.

Pros
    -Fires a cartridge with good terminal ballistics, arguably better than the 5.56, especially with some of the new bullets being loaded for the 7.62
    -Better barrier penetration (good in some situations, not in others)
    -Cheaper ammo (You can shoot 2x the Wolf 7.62 for the same price as M193 or somthing similar) = More practice = More proficiency
    -Excellent reliability with very few parts failures.
    -Cheap, tough magazines

Can go either way
    -Accuracy, with a good build they are plenty accurate for most applications, not all though.
    -Sights. I actually like AK sights, having a common type of sights between rifle and pistol (notch-post) isn't a bad thing. Speed wise at close distances I am pretty much the same with AK sights as I am with AR irons. They are precise enough to hit man size targets at a pretty good ways, good enough for me but once again that's a personal thing.
    -Not as much of an aftermarket

Cons
    -Weird magazine insertion
    -Bolt is on the wrong side for off hand manipulation
    -Safety that is unusuable without changing grip.
    -Doesn't have the modularity of the AR (different uppers, calibers, etc)
    -Ammo is heavier
    -Doesn't shoot as flat
    -Hard to find good optic options

I think if you modded an AK to have the bolt on the left side, some kind of good top picatinny rail, a good paddle safety and magazine release similar to an AR with mags that insert straight in you'd have something hard to beat. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

It would be nice for those who run galil's and vz58's to come forth with their experiences.

I've never had any issues with my vz-58 or the IMI Galil's (in either 5.56x45mm or 7.62x51mm). Mag changes are a little different with the '58 than it is with a Kalashnikov. Galils and Valmets are AK's made to a higher standard.

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My 58 has never given me much trouble but I don't have enough time in on AK platforms to compare them well.

The only issues I have had from 58-pattern rifles is when they come from the factory with a 2mm thick coat of grey enamel all over everything, including the mag, and the inside of the magwell.

Once you strip the mag bodies down a bit though they are fine. I have never tried to swap mags on one while being shot at, however. I am pretty confident I could find a way to **** it up under those circumstances.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast