Thread: Pistol grip shotgun now a destructive device?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Pistol grip shotgun now a destructive device?

http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/ffl-n...er-2009-11.pdf

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...tes-new-danger

For example, firearms that come equipped with a pistol grip in place of the buttstock are not shotguns as defined by the GCA.
    Last edited by 500grains; 11-16-10 at 15:23.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What a bunch of convuluted BS...
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Congress needs to head this off at the pass...
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did find this interesting under the 5320.20 form section...

Note that there is no requirement for any person to
    receive permission to move a silencer or firearm classified as
    an “any other weapon” across State lines.
    ... and here I'd been including it on the 5320.20 each time. They never noted anything regarding it being on the form.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Did find this interesting under the 5320.20 form section...

... and here I'd been including it on the 5320.20 each time. They never noted anything regarding it being on the form.
    Yeah when I moved residences I noticed that but my friend (big NFA guy at the time) and also our local NFA dealer mentioned it was a good idea to add it as a "courtesy" so I did. However, when going with just the "silencer" I have never bothered with the 5320.20 due to that

Chad
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    Congress needs to head this off at the pass...
    Google :
    BATFE reform and modernization bill

Already has over 260 co-sponsors . The Brady Bunch is going spastic trying to stop it from becoming law.
    "... in common use at the time... for all lawful purposes... "

Feedback Score
    Pistol grip shotguns are not DDs, they are just classed as 'Firearms' which is why you can now have a PG shotgun w/ a barrel thats only 17(or less if you can find a PG long enough to take inches off the barrel) inches long to maintain a minimum length of 26" because they are not classed as a shotgun, so the barrel length thing is null and void for factory PG shotguns
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saginaw79 View Post
    Pistol grip shotguns are not DDs, they are just classed as 'Firearms' which is why you can now have a PG shotgun w/ a barrel thats only 17(or less if you can find a PG long enough to take inches off the barrel) inches long to maintain a minimum length of 26" because they are not classed as a shotgun, so the barrel length thing is null and void for factory PG shotguns
    Exactly. People are running around thinking the sky is falling (but I guess they're getting some exercise ).

A shotgun is designed (by ATF definition) to be fired from the shoulder....aka it's a long gun.

A pistol gripped (no stock) shotgun ISN'T designed to be fired from the shoulder. It's a standard Title 1 firearm but isn't a 'shotgun'. On the 4473 you must be 21yrs old to buy a pistol gripped only shotgun, if it has a stock you must be least 18yrs old. It isn't a destructive device because 12ga is a normal sporting cartridge.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Exactly. People are running around thinking the sky is falling (but I guess they're getting some exercise ).

A shotgun is designed (by ATF definition) to be fired from the shoulder....aka it's a long gun.

A pistol gripped (no stock) shotgun ISN'T designed to be fired from the shoulder. It's a standard Title 1 firearm but isn't a 'shotgun'. On the 4473 you must be 21yrs old to buy a pistol gripped only shotgun, if it has a stock you must be least 18yrs old. It isn't a destructive device because 12ga is a normal sporting cartridge.
    Correct, it goes in the "other firearm" category. Similar to a stripped lower. When you fill out the 4473, check underneath your signature on the second page. The clerk has three choices for your gun purchase: handgun, long gun and essentially, other. 21 for PG shotty, 18 for long gun.