Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tired of all the talk about mil spec.

Feedback Score

Tired of all the talk about mil spec.

Well I am probably going to get flamed for this post by all the keyboard commandos but here it goes. I am tired of all the mil spec and kool aid. There are many great rifles out there and anything that a civilian ( non issued military) gets is not mil-spec. I have seen many mil-spec items including weapons fail and break.Just because a manufacture does not produce weapons to mil-spec or mil-standard does not make it inferior product. I say stop worrying about what everyone else thinks and get what suits you. Those of you who think colt consumer products are mil-spec quite deluding yourselves. There are only four carbines and 4 m16's currently made by Colt Defense LLC that are Mil-spec. They are the following

RO901 : Flat top, Safe/Semi/Full Auto
    RO905 : Flat top, Safe/Semi/Burst
    RO701 : Fixed handle, Safe/Semi/Full Auto
    RO705 : Fixed handle, Safe/Semi/Burst
    for m16
    RO977 : Flat top, Safe/Semi/Full Auto
    RO979 : Flat top, Safe/Semi/Burst
    RO777 : Fixed handle, Safe/Semi/Full Auto
    RO779 : Fixed handle, Safe/Semi/Burst
    for carbines.
    Colt confirms this with this statement. "Colt Defense LLC is the sole source supplier of the M4 Carbine to the US military and the only manufacturer worldwide that meets or exceeds all US military specifications for the weapon"

Military Division ISO9001 FN Manufacturing, LLC is the other maker of the M16's that are true Mil-spec.

Now lets talk Mil-Spec. Here are some exerts from a few other websites.
    Aramlites website.

The purpose of this Technical Note is to explain ArmaLite's conformance to MIL-R-63997, the MILSPEC for the M16A2 Rifle.

1. All claims from any manufacturer that they produce commercial rifles fully in conformance with the MILSPEC are false. Only M16A2 rifles produced by Colt or FNMI, and accepted by the Army’s Tank automotive and Armaments Command fully meet the requirements of the MILSPEC, and they are not legally producible for sale to the public. Even Colt brand commercial rifles are not in conformance with the drawing portion of the MILSPEC. In fact, ArmaLite’s rifles are closer to the government designs than Colt’s.

2. The M16A2 Rifle is manufactured in accordance with MILSPEC MIL-R-63997. A MILSPEC (military specification) describes a product. There are two key elements to a MILSPEC; a verbal description of what the product is and does, and a list of reference documents governing production of the product. In the case of the M16A2 Rifle, the key document is Drawing 9349000, which is a package of drawings setting forth the dimensions and tolerances for the M16A2 Rifle.

3. No commercial, semiautomatic rifle from ANY manufacturer meets both the verbal descriptions of the M16A2 and the technical drawing package.

4. ArmaLite does not claim that its rifles are made to the full provisions of MIL-R-63997. All ArmaLite/Eagle Arms rifles, however, are manufactured to the written requirements set forth by MIL-R-63997.

5. ArmaLite and Eagle Arms rifle parts feature excellent interchangeability with MILSPEC M16A1 and M16A2 parts. With the exception of parts designed for semiautomatic use only, no known incompatibilities exist.

CONCLUSION: Claims to production of fully MILSPEC rifles are untrue, and should be regarded with considerable suspicion.

"Speculating MIL-SPEC’s Meaning
    By David R. Butcher
    Predictably similar to so many other industry terms and phrases, MIL-SPEC and its numerous synonyms are amorphous. Tasking a targeted explanation is not a simple achievement. Though it lacks that one clear-cut definition -- for you, dear readers, we’ll try anyway.

MIL-SPEC, i.e., military specification, aka military standard (MIL-STD), is typically considered a United States Defense standard used to describe an item that can meet standardization objectives determined by the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD). Also referred to as MIL-STD, this defense standard aims to ensure products meet very specific requirements, commonality, reliability, compatibility with logistics systems, total cost of ownership (TCO) and similar defense-related objectives.

Additional users of defense standards include other non-defense government organizations, technical organizations and industry.

But what, exactly, are military specifications, and how are they different from military standards, and does “defense standard” encompass both terms or is it synonymous with both?

According to the Government Accountability Office (GAO) (pg. 4), “‘military specifications’ describe the physical and/or operational characteristics of a product, and ‘military standards’ detail the processes and materials to be used to make the product.” The standards, as further noted, can also describe how to manage the manufacturing and testing of a part. Further noted the GAO, some principal purposes for MIL-SPECs: to ensure interoperability between products; to provide products that can perform in extreme conditions; to protect against contractor fraud; and to promote greater opportunities for competition among contractors.

Defense standards originate from the necessary ensuring of military equipment’s proper performance, and from there they evolved. Despite the benefits of these standards’ compatibility, reliability and commonality, the proliferation of standards had a number of drawbacks. There were so many standards — nearly 30,000 by 1990, according to Wikipedia — there then came considered-unnecessary restrictions, increased cost to contractors, and an impediment of the incorporation of the latest technology. A memorandum in 1994 was issued by the then Secretary of Defense in response to growing criticism, effectively eliminating the use of most defense standards. (This has become known as the “Perry memo.”) As such, many defense standards were cancelled, and the DoD encouraged the use of industry standards in their place. (See previous article on industry standards.)

Earlier this year, however, the DoD partially reversed its previous proclamation, issuing a new memorandum that permits use of defense standards without obtaining a waiver; though it did not reinstate any cancelled defense standards.

A MIL-STD/MIL-SPEC/defense standard can also mean the actual documentation that lists, explains and altogether establishes the standard or specification itself, a compilation of prerequisites than an item must meet for DoD acceptance; whether for uniform engineering or technical requirements for processes, procedures, practices or methods.

There are considered five types of defense standards: manufacturing process; interface; design criteria; test method; and standard practices.

“According to a 2003 issue of Gateway, published by the Human Systems Information Analysis Center, the number of defense standards and specifications have been reduced from 45,500 to 28,300,” Wikipedia noted. “However, other sources noted that the number of standards just before the Perry memorandum was issued was less than 30,000, and that thousands have been cancelled since then. This may be due to differences in what is counted as a ‘military standard.’”

The DoD, with a generously in-depth explanation, defines “MILSPEC” as — wait for it — “military performance specification.” That's it."

In conclusion I would like everyone to think for themselves and handle the weapons they are considering, read true reviews, and don't just take what others have to say as gospel. Find out for yourself not just because someone says Mil-Spec. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Colt and they make fine firearms most of the time, but they are not the only manufactures that make fine weapons.

Feedback Score
    If you dont like what goes on in this FACT oriented website why even post here?
    When Mil-spec is spoken here it is in the context of mil-spec quality. Take for instance the Colt 6920 it may have a longer barrel but it is still of the same high quality of the 14.5 inch barrel. Some of the FCG parts may be sligtly different to not gicve the burst or auto feature but they are still of the same high quality.
    No one on this website is saying there is anything wrong with owening the weapons built to a lower standard. But someone in the know isnt going to say that lower quality DPMS is as well made as a Colt.

My guess since this is your first post is that you are already a member here and didnt want to make your statement under your real name.

Feedback Score
    IMHO, no matter who his other S/N may or may not be, if he in real life is in fact an 18B2V, as his S/N suggests, than he is more than qualified to form that opinion and state it.
    TANT QUE JE PUIS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    If you dont like what goes on in this FACT oriented website why even post here?
    When Mil-spec is spoken here it is in the context of mil-spec quality. Take for instance the Colt 6920 it may have a longer barrel but it is still of the same high quality of the 14.5 inch barrel. Some of the FCG parts may be sligtly different to not gicve the burst or auto feature but they are still of the same high quality.
    No one on this website is saying there is anything wrong with owening the weapons built to a lower standard. But someone in the know isnt going to say that lower quality DPMS is as well made as a Colt.

My guess since this is your first post is that you are already a member here and didnt want to make your statement under your real name.

You are incorrect in assuming that. I have been lurking here for a while and this is my first post. What makes you think the 6920 is made to the same standards as the M4 carbine? I am not saying it is or it isn't but everyone just assumes that it is because it was made by colt. I am saying just because it says colt on it does not necessarily make it better. Don't dismiss a maker because someone thinks that if it is not a colt it is not as good. Get what is best for you and not because someones opinion. Educate yourself on as much you can then decide for yourself. Don't be a sheep. If you decide that a Colt is best for you then get a colt. If you decide that some other is the best don't let what people say sway you because it is not an ABC manufacture. When this happens the opinions out weigh the true facts. It is like saying a mil-spec 1911 is superior to a ed brown 1911 just because it is mil-spec. I am all for peoples opinions, but that is what they are. Hell the millitary still gets thier equiptment from the lowest bidder, just because they have the contract does not make it the best there is.
    Like i said before I do not have anything against colt. They have saved my life many times over, I just have an issue with sheepish thoughts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclic240B View Post
    IMHO, no matter who his other S/N may or may not be, if he in real life is in fact an 18B2V, as his S/N suggests, than he is more than qualified to form that opinion and state it.
    Thankyou for your support. Yes as my SN states it is my MOS. I entered the service on feb 5 1996. Went to bassic at Ft Benning Dco2/54. Went straight to airborne school then reported to bco 1/505 in late early aug 05. Went HHC 1/505 scout platoon within a year and then to Ranger school. Asked for transfer to 313 MI LRSD in late 97 and then to millitary freefall school in early 98. SFAS in 99 and Q course in late 99. Assaigned to 7th group after 36 weeks of traning. Served with the 7th till I enlisted in the reserves in 2004 and was assaigned at the 490th CAB in Dallas Texas.

Feedback Score
    Im glad to see another Ranger in here. Out of all the manufacturers I prefer LMT, I was using Colt as an example. There is a sticky with a breakdown of what is and what isnt with the different manufacturers on the board somewhere that is accurate. This board is a information giving and recieving board and for the most part the answers are cut and dry around here. You can do a search for the questions you ask and you will find answers. If you have been lurking you will see that a good majority of posts are what do you think of XYZ brand or how does Tango compare to Foxtrot.
    Im still trying to figure out the moral of you story?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclic240B View Post
    What does his MOS have to do with the price of Iron in China?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    Im glad to see another Ranger in here. Out of all the manufacturers I prefer LMT, I was using Colt as an example. There is a sticky with a breakdown of what is and what isnt with the different manufacturers on the board somewhere that is accurate. This board is a information giving and recieving board and for the most part the answers are cut and dry around here. You can do a search for the questions you ask and you will find answers. If you have been lurking you will see that a good majority of posts are what do you think of XYZ brand or how does Tango compare to Foxtrot.
    Im still trying to figure out the moral of you story?
    Moral of the story is don't take anothers word as gospel and do the research for yourself, and that what the millitary has mil-spec is not always the best. The chart you speak of is not completly accurate on some but I do nto have the pictures right now to add to that thread. I will get those eventually when I recieve another RRA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 18b2v View Post
    Moral of the story is don't take anothers word as gospel and do the research for yourself, and that what the millitary has mil-spec is not always the best. The chart you speak of is not completly accurate on some but I do nto have the pictures right now to add to that thread. I will get those eventually when I recieve another RRA.
    Im recently retired military so I know that mil-spec isnt always best. But at least it is some spec. Im not being a jerk but what spec does your RRA follow? As for doing the research, I have. Im a dealer for every major AR manufacturer out there and can order anything that is available on the market for my customers. I normally push LMT as I feel that is the best value available in terms of price and quality and feel confident in the product. I could sell a comparable RRA for the same money and RRA has a higher profit margin than does LMT but I sell the product that is better.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 18b2v View Post
    don't take anothers word as gospel and do the research for yourself
    They are not simply "other guys", they are professionals who see more rounds going downrange in a month than I will probably shoot in a lifetime. In their classes, they observe more Ar15 variations (brands, builds, parts etc.) run really hard than most of us will ever be able to handle. When several of them speak of tight DPMS chambers, Bushmaster bolthead failures, Match triggers coming apart or faulty RRA staking jobs, I call that a clue.
    As far as my own testing is concerned, its basically the same as with car crash tests. I don't have the technical equipment to do scientific crash tests and don't want to be my own crash test dummy anyway. Besides I don't want to buy and crash a car just to be able to tell it had shitty safety construction.
    Looking at Ar15 prices here in Europe (>2000,- USD) I will gladly let others be the beta-tester while I rely on proven info the pros offer us here for free. Its your own decision to take it.

Best Regards

Cato
    my enmity is only against Tyranny, where ever I find it, wheter in Emperour, King, Prince, Parliament, Presbyters, or People.
    Richard Overton, 1646

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast