Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF Fighting Gun(s): Getting Thoughts on Paper - Feedback Welcome

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt_Overide View Post
    IMO for a situation like any of the myriad of SHTF scenarios, a sidearm is nothing more than a backup or a tool to help you get to your rifle. Once your rifle is in hand, it should always be the primary.
    I agree. The pistol is just easier to carry and you could use it to fight to your long gun. If you were truly in a combat situation you would not want your rifle more than arms length away.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Son of Vlad Tepes

I'm with on the mid gas vs. carbine gas. There would be more parts available for carbine in my area due to the fact the LEOs carry them for duty rifles. Sad fact is most of them have DPMS and Bushmasters sitting in their crusiers.

I'm not sure what the odds of having to replace the gas tube are, but sure as hell it would happen to me. I might order some now. lol
    Dead men tell no tales!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I agree. The pistol is just easier to carry and you could use it to fight to your long gun. If you were truly in a combat situation you would not want your rifle more than arms length away.
    I agree that in a combat situation the rifle is the way to go.

But I also would argue for the importance of a handgun for a SHTF incident, in addition to a rifle/carbine.

During many types of SHTF incidents within CONUS, a handgun that can be carried at all times and also concealed can be vital. Being armed while being able to attend to non-combat related tasks and the ability to maintain a "low profile" has it's advantages. Especially during incidents such as natural disasters. Situations in which the "fighting" hasn't started yet, but local Law Enforcement is overwhelmed handling the incident. This is where the handgun plays more of a primary role than the secondary role it would play during a combat type environment.

I am not arguing that the handgun replace the rifle/carbine, but that one should have both at their disposal during such an incident.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 11-26-10 at 17:15.

Feedback Score

It may be an M4 site, but...

...others would bring up the AK-particularly the Arsenal, Inc. ones made in Nevada. They shoot tighter groups than regular Kalashnikovs yet keep all the attributes. Like your Glock, its more likely to continue functioning in the worst conditions imagineable. Ammo for it is plentiful and cheap-even here in the States. Talk about a SHTF or zombie gun, this is it!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you are worried about gas tube failure as a reason to go with carbine gas system, you are looking way too hard for a flaw. If you would have to cannabilize another rifle for its gas tube, why not just swap uppers??? If you are going to swap uppers, why not run the better one (middy) in the beginning???

I own both stoner and kalashnikov rifles. I would rather have my AR. Just a personal preference. Ergonomics second to none. I would never be without a rifle in a SHTF world.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotguyo540 View Post
    If you are worried about gas tube failure as a reason to go with carbine gas system, you are looking way too hard for a flaw. If you would have to cannabilize another rifle for its gas tube, why not just swap uppers??? If you are going to swap uppers, why not run the better one (middy) in the beginning???

I own both stoner and kalashnikov rifles. I would rather have my AR. Just a personal preference. Ergonomics second to none. I would never be without a rifle in a SHTF world.
    There is always the battle field pick up. Use what ever you can to keep in the fight.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    My current standings are:
    Primary: Noveske 16" middy AR with Aimpoint
    Secondary: Springfield 1911 Mil-spec with Wilson mags
    Third: Sar-8 in 308 (HK91 contract rifle made in Greece)
    Wildcard: 10/22 with bull barrel & 3-9 scope

This covers everything in my book from taking small game for food to taking large "varmints" that present a threat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
    rifle, first, last, and always
    damn right, a pistol ain't good for nothing but fighting your way to a rifle

Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    Primary: Right now it would be my 16 Daniel Defense middy with an ACOG.

Secondary: I would have to say my G19. I have a M&P Pro in 9mm that is new. Once I have enough rounds through it to where I am comfortable with the gun it might take the G19s place.

Third: I have a M1A but it is in a JAE stock with a 6.5-20 Mark 4 scope so I am not going to carry that thing anywhere, lol. I would pick one of my .22 rifles for this.

Wildcard: I really don’t have one for this. If I was staying near the house and not on the go I would pick one of my bows. It’s a nice and silent way to harvest game.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy1981ehfield1943 View Post
    damn right, a pistol ain't good for nothing but fighting your way to a rifle

To clarify my position here: If stuff is already bad (i.e. a war) the obviously the rifle takes the primary role, but anything short of that, the pistol is concealable, and maintaining a low profile is very important. Thus, for everyday life, and until war ensues, the pistol is the primary.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast