Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF Fighting Gun(s): Getting Thoughts on Paper - Feedback Welcome

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    If you are going to discuss "SHTF Fighting Guns", then in my mind you are talking about a carbine and a pistol per person.

A Glock 17/19 or an M&P in your holster and an AR of your choice (Colt 6920 for me).

Any more and you need a golf cart to transport.
    Very true on the golf cart The weight adds up quick!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varmint6 View Post
    Very true on the golf cart The weight adds up quick!
    It sure does add up. I know just a day in the woods with a deer rifle and jframe in my pocket and enough food and water for the day and I am Damn tired. For those of us with young children bugging in or bugging out by vehicle is the only real option.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotguyo540 View Post
    If you are worried about gas tube failure as a reason to go with carbine gas system, you are looking way too hard for a flaw. If you would have to cannabilize another rifle for its gas tube, why not just swap uppers??? If you are going to swap uppers, why not run the better one (middy) in the beginning???

I own both stoner and kalashnikov rifles. I would rather have my AR. Just a personal preference. Ergonomics second to none. I would never be without a rifle in a SHTF world.
    I'd probably argue a SBR would be my SHTF weapon rather than a middy with a 16"+ barrel. Any engagements outside it's range are better avoided and it's handier.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian1/75 View Post
    I'd probably argue a SBR would be my SHTF weapon rather than a middy with a 16"+ barrel. Any engagements outside it's range are better avoided and it's handier.
    Well said. SBR for me too. Concealment is a huge plus.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner_guy View Post
    ...others would bring up the AK-particularly the Arsenal, Inc. ones made in Nevada. They shoot tighter groups than regular Kalashnikovs yet keep all the attributes. Like your Glock, its more likely to continue functioning in the worst conditions imagineable. Ammo for it is plentiful and cheap-even here in the States. Talk about a SHTF or zombie gun, this is it!
    Honestly, as someone who's doing everything they can to get their hands on an SGL21-71.

I can tell you, I would absolutely not carry that gun in a SHTF.

I guarantee you at least double probably triple or quadruple the amount of civilians have AR's as AK's, every LE department has AR's just about, the entire military has AR's.

Which means parts, bullets and magazines are very accessible.

To me that matters most.

Honestly as for the SHTF weapons.

I'm thinking an AR SBR of whatever flavor, frankly, if you leave your house you're going to be carrying it everywhere, even on your own property you'll be carrying it everywhere. You'll be carrying it a heck of a lot more than using it (if you're smart, just because you have a rifle doesn't mean you need to shoot it, honestly, and frankly, getting into a gun fight in a situation where you may or may not get medical attention is a bad idea.).

The size and weight savings, availability of spare parts, IMHO, something like a Colt 6933 (or save yourself $300-400 and get an BCM 11 NFA Carbine (same thing, virtually, adheres to all the same tests/standards)) would be ideal.

I'd say that with an Aimpoint, EoTech's are out, the battery life sucks, and if it's a situation when you use what you can carry, I wouldn't bother with an EoTech, I want something I can leave on for years. I think the Comp M4 looks good for that because it can take AA batteries and has the longest battery life (Approximately 100,000 hrs was it?) in a 2 MOA dot.

That's how I'd run it.

Handguns... Honestly I don't know if I'd bring a handgun... maybe, but... if you're carrying everything you own and weight matters, why carry 4-5 extra lbs, when you could carry 3-4 more AR magazines than a handgun?

Just my opinion.

Glocks are great, M&P's are great, don't think you could go wrong, with a 3rd gen Glock 17 though, they're out there for cheap too.

ETA: I'd say the most important thing is a gun that can A) Run on less/reliably and B) you can most likely find parts/magazines/ammunition for.

That's a boring way to view it, but IMHO, the best way to view it.
    Last edited by BWT; 12-04-10 at 00:06.

Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    Definitely a rifle would be primary. Preferably an AR for me. A handgun will fill a role. If SHTF and in a "grid down" situation, there will be periods of manual labor needed where it won't be practical to have a rifle on ones self. This is where a handgun will allow immediate access to a way to defend yourself....until you can get back to your rifle.
    Just something else to think about.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I own 3 AR's two have M4's because of the excellent battery life and ease of locating batteries. The third gun has a TR24G all three are good to go. If it came down to weight I would ditch the aimpoints and trijicon for an A1/2 upper or a fixed DD, LMT or LaRue rear sight and take a pistol with me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian1/75 View Post
    Sound logic sir. I was mainly arguing against the gas tube argument. An sbr would be awesome. Where I live, they are strictly forbidden. I would have an upper sitting around just in case, but I think there would be problems with "constructive intent." I could build an ar pistol so I can have the upper I want. It is a catch 22 for those of us referred to as "citizen." I would add that if going the SBR route, run your gun hard and make sure you have any bugs worked out ahead of time.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    A Kahr PM9 and one extra mag for self-defense.

A Ruger 10/22 or break-down Marlin Papoose with threaded barrel and suppressor.

If there is all-out war in the streets then you are going to be dead, so you might as well load up some magic mushrooms and heroin so you can enjoy your last day or so on earth.

If you are bugging out, however, I think the above set up is ideal. They can be broken down and hidden in your car or backpack so you don't get shot by someone who is afraid of your being armed. The pistol is to shoot those who come to get your stuff and rape your family ( or to rape your stuff and get your family if they are really bad) and to kill hungry dogs who attack you while you are taking a leak.

The 10/22 with suppressor and 4x scope will feed you as squirrels and rats will be the only edible animals left after about 4 months. You can also use them to kill people quietly in a pinch (I wouldn't advise this, bad karma).

GHB
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Sorry to bring back this old thread, but with all that's going on in the world with our weak ass POTUS, I thought it would bring it back up.I'm more concerned with a Russia/China EMP over Denver that puts us back into the age before electronics.
    Anyway, I'm contemplating a 5.45 AK from Definitive Arms or a PSA/BCM build in 5.56. All reasoning points the AR bc of parts, mags, and ammo during SHTF. However, the ability to store copious amounts of 5.45 is affordable plus, it's hard to deny the shear survivability of anything AK.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast