Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: After Action Report Vickers AK Class 4-5 Aug 07

Bulldog1967 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I disagree with both statements. If you use quality components and properly assemble it will work just fine (Use blue Loc-tite on the Ultimak and Aimpoint and it'll stay on the gun).

That said on my Arsenal SLR-106FR I use an Ultimak optics rail with an Aimpoint C3, a S.W.I.F.T safety, Gordon Technologies FCG, a Red Star plate (replaces the Shepards hook), a Primary Weapons mag latch extension, a Vickers CAG sling and a Ergo grip. It runs 100% now, mine was an early 106 with teething problems..........after a trip back to Arsenal it now runs like an AK should and will even cycle 50gr HP .223 rounds.

Good to know Robb. Which Aimpoint and mount are you using? Does it co witness?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1967 View Post
    Good to know Robb. Which Aimpoint and mount are you using? Does it co witness?
    C3 (2MOA dot) in the OEM ring (comes with the C3s) yes on co-witness but just barely.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I disagree with both statements. If you use quality components and properly assemble it will work just fine (Use blue Loc-tite on the Ultimak and Aimpoint and it'll stay on the gun).

That said on my Arsenal SLR-106FR I use an Ultimak optics rail with an Aimpoint C3, a S.W.I.F.T safety, Gordon Technologies FCG, a Red Star plate (replaces the Shepards hook), a Primary Weapons mag latch extension, a Vickers CAG sling and a Ergo grip. It runs 100% now, mine was an early 106 with teething problems..........after a trip back to Arsenal it now runs like an AK should and will even cycle 50gr HP .223 rounds.

I see where you are coming from, and Im sure these guns do run well, it was just my impressions that you NEEDED this stuff to be effective, so I built one up. I used all the best parts and had a kickass builder put it together. I figured the FCG was the weakest link (Century per NDS Rec.) and it broke.
    I ran the rest of the class with a bone stock Polish UF. I'll keep my "ninja gun" and tweak it a bit (ditch the EOTech), but I know that I can pick up any AK anywhere and be effective with it, regardless of that mods it has.

As for the WW2 Technology, the AKM wasn't designed for rails, optics, stocks, grips, etc. like the M4. Its not a modular platform.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Another point...about the only time I see an AK go down hard, is when an American has been screwing with it.... i.e. US trigger groups or a US assembled rifle.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinger646 View Post
    I see where you are coming from, and Im sure these guns do run well, it was just my impressions that you NEEDED this stuff to be effective, so I built one up.
    Need is a funny word.

Robb performed extremely well in the inaugural course partly because of the simplicity of using his optic as opposed to finding the sometimes difficult to acquire front sight of the AK.

While a good optic isn't strictly necessary on the AK, I know that if I had to do any serious social work with one I would certainly welcome an Aimpoint because I would be faster and more accurate with one. I would be a lot more effective with Robb's weapon than with my plain jane VEPR-K were the fertilizer to actually impact the oscillating air movement device. The difference between the performance is the difference between making a bad guy duck and punching his ticket to go meet Allah, at least in my hands....

YMMV.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrwilcox View Post
    If you are left eye dominant...then try shooting left handed rifle and right handed pistol. There are some advantages to this when transitioning (though I don't remember what they are specifically...someone remind me please)
    I'm interested in this statement. Would anyone care to share?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    IIRC, Its better juju to shoot a long gun with the same side (left eye, left hand) The benefit in transitioning is the rifle is already on your left side when you go to whip out the pistola with your right hand.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thats Bulldog1967? My how times have changes since Blackwater.

Mike

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Always take the tension off the malfunction, it makes it easier to clear.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAP View Post
    What are you guys doing with the front sights in these pictures?

-RD62

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast