Thread: Raven Concealment

Feedback Score

Raven Concealment

I am thinking about buying my first kydex holster and mag carrier and the Raven Concealment company has my attention. The holster will be for a M&P 9 FS (Thanks Grant) and i am aware of the wait. I am going to try to carry OWB atleast for the winter and will probably have to transition to IWB in the summer. The ability of the Phantom to do that was a big plus for me. Ive read through numerous threads about the holsters and see they have their positives and negetives depending on the person. So that leads me to some questions.

- On the Phantom ive read some people had some fit or comfort issues. A Raven customer service rep suggested i should go with the skinny guy bend and i think i should stay away from the MD cut atleast on the holster. When you carry it IWB what are the problems for those of you with issues? Could it be solved by a different bend or some stick on felt? Like i said since i carry IWB or OWB depending on clothing the Phantom is very interesting.

- Whats the story with the Ghost for OWB carry? I know it isnt for IWB but it looks kind of sleek for OWB. I havent seen hardly any mention of it in my searches.

- On the mag carriers what do the bulk of you carry for reloads with doublestack autopistols? I carried a officers 1911 and ushually had a 8 rnd magazine and a 7 rnd magazine for spares. That gave me 23 rnds. Im thinking with one extra full size magazine that SHOULD be pleanty unless i really screw up and get into the wrong place at the wrong time.

- I know this is more of a presonal preferance but on the colors if i wear khaki colored pants and jeans most of the time should i go with the tan? Also note almost all my coats are black and i could see that pushing me to the black color since it wont stick out so much as a tan especially on jeans.

Thanks for any help.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like you, I was attracted to the reputation and versatility of the RCS Phantom. I bought one this summer for my G26, but unfortunately I will have to sell it off.

I am 5'9", 150lbs, somewhat slim/athletic build with a 30" waist. My problem with the RCS IWB is that it I prefer to carry near 9:00, up near the point of my hip. The Phantom rides like a shovel blade and gaps out my waistband fore and aft.

For contrast, my existing EDC holster for several years and a few classes is an Aholster IWB carried ~9:00. Note that it doesn't really ride closer, but doesn't gap out my waistband nearly as much as the Phantom.

To answer at least one of your questions, perhaps my issue could have been addressed by the "skinny guy bend", but your post is the first I have heard of this option.

I really wanted to like the Phantom and having the clips offset so they do not add to the thickness of the gun and holster, but I don't like carrying further back around my hip (at ~7:30 above the cheek) in order to get to a "flatter" part of my torso so that holster will lie flat.

The Phantom is probably a great OWB that can also be a good IWB on occasion, but I think I am looking for a great IWB that can serve as an OWB on occasion.

Sorry, no experience with the mag holders or color choices. I find the basic black quite dashing.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

RCS Ghost is GTG

I use the Ghost for EDC my G26. Great little holster that conceals very well. RCS is a good bunch of blokes with excellent customer service. The wait time is a direct product of their success.

I still like the Phantom LC for my G19 and G21, though -- since they both have rails and wear lights.

Since my G26 doesn't have a light or a rail, the Ghost fit the bill very well, especially for EDC use.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    Yeah you really can not go wrong with Raven. I know they are pricey and take a while to get but it is really one of those "Buy Once, Cry Once" type deals. Unless you have multiple pistols than your bank account might be doing a lot of crying like mine. I as far as their magazine carriers. They are nice and thin especially with double stack magazines where they get thick quick. One thing to possibly think about is how many magazines do you intend on carrying. If one then obvious a single. But if you are carrying 2 then its personal preference as to go with a double or 2 singles.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I use the Ghost for OWB, it fits the M&P, Pro (when I had one) and a Glock 19. Very versatile holster.

I use the Phantom with the TLR1 light when needed.

I tried the IWB feature but wasn't totally satisfied due to the holster's wide foot print and not enough curvature.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tradja View Post
    Like you, I was attracted to the reputation and versatility of the RCS Phantom. I bought one this summer for my G26, but unfortunately I will have to sell it off.

I am 5'9", 150lbs, somewhat slim/athletic build with a 30" waist. My problem with the RCS IWB is that it I prefer to carry near 9:00, up near the point of my hip. The Phantom rides like a shovel blade and gaps out my waistband fore and aft.

For contrast, my existing EDC holster for several years and a few classes is an Aholster IWB carried ~9:00. Note that it doesn't really ride closer, but doesn't gap out my waistband nearly as much as the Phantom.

To answer at least one of your questions, perhaps my issue could have been addressed by the "skinny guy bend", but your post is the first I have heard of this option.

I really wanted to like the Phantom and having the clips offset so they do not add to the thickness of the gun and holster, but I don't like carrying further back around my hip (at ~7:30 above the cheek) in order to get to a "flatter" part of my torso so that holster will lie flat.

The Phantom is probably a great OWB that can also be a good IWB on occasion, but I think I am looking for a great IWB that can serve as an OWB on occasion.

Sorry, no experience with the mag holders or color choices. I find the basic black quite dashing.
    A holster on your side at 3:00 is super tough for concealment, even for those of us who aren't as svelte as you are. This is why most good IWB holsters are made for carry around 4:00 to 4:30, or for the appendix position. Of course, at 4:00 or 4:30, you're going to want some cant, to keep the grip of pistol present for ready access, and a good draw.

You can probably bend that Phantom to conform better to your waist, by heating the side flanges with your hair dryer, if you have one. Just beware that the rivets will get really hot before the Kydex is hot enough to bend (wear some Mechanix gloves or oven mitts, or something).
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and there is the land of Bliss. ~ Miyamoto Musashi

DISCLOSURE: I represent SECRET CITY WEAPONEERS, purveyor of K-25 Multi-Role Concealment Holsters. I may, therefore, be biased...

Feedback Score
    tradja,
    I appreciate your post. I am the exact same build as you and even have the same Wilderness Tactical belt. I have been eying those holsters for a while, but wondered if this issue would arise.

Even my MTAC does this slightly at 9 o'clock. I do tend to position that holster further back on my hip, but it is a real pain (read: almost impossible) to draw left handed from 7:30 while seated in your vehicle.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    As an alternative for you skinny guys, try out www.rmholsters.com.

His "low rider" model is much like the Aholster mentioned above. These are very comfortable. I carry at 3:00 as well, because I spend a lot of time driving. For that, 4:00 equals lower back pain. The low rider does a great job.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    We have a slight modification that we affectionately call the "skinny guy bend" for people with a waist size under 32" or so. The footprint is most pronounced if you are carrying directly on the hip. In that location, it can be quite difficult to fit a holster to somebody.

The Ghost will ride just like a Phantom for an OWB holster, but you lose modularity and sleek looks. It is functional, but definitely fits into the 'form follows function' category. Its construction is more crude than a Phantom.

Regarding your mag carrier question, I typically carry a double mag carrier (Glock 9mm). I am a huge fan of our new Pancake Wings, especially on our mag carriers. This system rides very tight to the body and is quite flexible on what specific location you wish to wear it on the hip.

No holster will fit every single person, but the items we offer are what we have found to fit the majority of people in the majority of circumstances. We offer a 30 day return policy and a no-questions-asked unconditional lifetime guarantee. If you have any further questions, I can be reached by email, pm, my direct phone (see sig), or in our industry forum here on M4C.

Thanks,

Tom
    Last edited by TomF; 11-21-10 at 17:22.
    The opinions posted above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.