Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you always keep in your vehicle?

Feedback Score

What do you always keep in your vehicle?

I'm interested to hear what items everyone keeps in their truck or car at all times. I have a truck and a car, I usually drive the car (better gas mileage), but would probably use the truck for a BOV. I'm currently trying to get the truck set up for normal and possibly emergency use. My car's "emergency" kit includes a basic tool kit with flashlight, jumper cables, a small first aid kit, a change of clothes including extra socks, boots, coat and a blanket. Right now, under the back seat of the truck (extended cab), I have a basic tool kit with flashlight, tie downs, the trailer hitch, jumper cables, bolt cutters, a tarp, a chain, and a tow strap and my snow brush.
    I'm limited on space under the seat, so I know that I'm not going to be able to have everything I need at all times, and my go-bag has many other essentials. I'm thinking of adding an entrenching tool to both vehicles, and a change of clothes for the truck as well. I'd like to keep a small supply of water in each vehicle, but with the Ohio winter approaching, I'm concerned about freezing water breaking the bottles. If anyone has suggestions about that I'd like to hear it.
    Is there anything I'm missing here? Do you have anything else that you keep in your vehicle that you consider a "must have" for every-day driving, general preparedness, or SHTF scenarios? I appreciate your input.

Feedback Score
    As a survival instructor I never go anywhere without a knife and a lighter. I would definitely include a strong sheath knife and a reliable source for starting fires in your vehicles.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I have a multi-tool in the glovebox, but a larger fixed-blade in the tool box would be a good addition to my small folding knife that I always carry with me.

What kind of lighter do you recommend, something like a Zippo or just a cheap bic lighter?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Work Truck:cz82, extra mag, blanket, jacket and tools.

Car:sig p225 p6 extra mag, blanket, jacket, tools, and AAA card

And of course flashlights and jumper cables in both.
    Last edited by rattlesnake; 11-21-10 at 16:01.

Feedback Score
    I prefer the no-name clear bodied gas station lighters. They have adjustable flame and can be dried out in less then 10 minutes if dunked. Plus they are cheap so you can buy a pack at the dollar store and stash them around. Cotton balls and petroleum jelly are easy tinder, throw in a baggy or film canister and if your lips are chapped they will help with that in a pinch!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Zippos are cool but if you're like me they dry out and don't work when you need them. The clear lighters with the adjustable flame is better.

I have some small hand tools, tow chain, tow straps, tie down straps an MRE several lighters. A few spare Glock mags. Several flashlights some 550 cord.

If you want to store water just do not fill it full and it should not burst. Test it out in your freezer.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    That's good advice, I have 550 cord in my bug-out-bag, but having some in my tool bag would be a good idea too, there are so many uses for it. I'll be picking up some lighters tomorrow.

Does anyone have a good source on entrenching tools? Should I go to the local Army-Navy store, or order one online? I'd rather not spend $50/shovel unless the cheaper ones are useless.

Feedback Score
    I feel fairly paranoid after reading these first few responses.

I keep basically a BOB type pack in my car with some necessities,
    several methods of firestarting, a couple of MREs, several bottles of
    water, a change of clothes, several pair of socks, a small toiletries kit(
    toothpaste, brush, deoderant,) a good fixed blade knife, 550 cord,
    flashlight with extra batteries, roll of duct tape, roll of TP in ziplock, and a Glock entrenching tool.

Then theres the guns. Always have my Glock 19gen4 and sometimes

my Ruger LCR, My Sabre m4(in TN we are allowed to carry shotgun

or rifle in vehicle provided no chambered round but loaded mags ok,

with carry permit of course). Then a handful of loaded mags for the rifle and a couple for the Glock.

Also a small tool kit, after all its not all preparing for SHTF.....sometimes shit actually breaks.....
    Last edited by Jerik1m4; 11-21-10 at 21:25.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eo500 View Post
    That's good advice, I have 550 cord in my bug-out-bag, but having some in my tool bag would be a good idea too, there are so many uses for it. I'll be picking up some lighters tomorrow.

Does anyone have a good source on entrenching tools? Should I go to the local Army-Navy store, or order one online? I'd rather not spend $50/shovel unless the cheaper ones are useless.
    A friend of mine had one of the cheap surplus store ones and he didn't like it, I bought one of the Glock ones and have used it camping on several occasions honestly best 50 bucks I've spent in a long time, It's compact when closed very durable and light weight I liked it so much I bought 2 more 1 is a gift though.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice, I'll have to start considering the Glock e-tool. Do you have any experience with the Gerber, SOG, or the new GI e-tools?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast