18 (100%)

AAR-Vickers Tactical 1-Day Basic Handgun Class - NC‎ - Nov 20, 2010

AAR: Vickers Tactical 1-Day Basic Handgun Class - NC‎ - Nov 20, 2010

Vickers Tactical
    www.vickerstactical.com

Grey Group Training
    www.greygrouptraining.com

First and foremost, doing this on my phone, so bare with me lol

By far the most accurate level 1 class The LAV has seen and I've got to agree. Out of 24 students, there was only 3-5 that has taken a class with The LAV, and only 8-10 that has taken some sort of formal training, so needless to say, half the class hasn't had any formal handgun training. Didn't get into backgrounds of the students, nor names, but that was fine. We had a lot to cover for a single day level 1 handgun class

With The LAV, he had 3 adjunct instructors with him to make sure the line was safe (Thanks to Chris914, NCPatrol, and AMP). Dry fire drills, he had everyone on the line, and live fire drills consisted of 2 relays. Safety was paramount, and it showed by the amount of AIs he had. Not once did I ever feel unsafe.

Out of the many fundamentals of marksmanship, Vickers stressed on Trigger Control the most. And like all his other classes, stresses on accuracy the most. We did the traditional Slow Fire Ball and Dummy drills to help with trigger control. After that, we did 2 more patented LAV Ball and Dummy drills which the names can't come to me this early in the morning. We spent a good hour on trigger control. Shows you how much he stressed it. Since on the rest of the "fundamentals", it was only 5-15mins on it.

Right after trigger control we went into sight alignment, sight picture.
    One thing that Vickers did, that no other instructor I've ran into has done, is explained why we concentrated on our front sight when shooting. I'm guilty of this as well. I just tell shooters to concentrate on their front sight, but never explain why nor have I been asked. So that a neat thing to learn.

One of the cool things that I liked about the class, is how he compared training to real world actions. One that stood out in my mind was how we look at sights all the time concentrating on our front sights. In the real world, we'll be looking more at the "Assclown" we're getting ready to drop because we're looking to get accurate hits on target. Concentrating on our front sight in training is fine, so we know where our rounds. But for the most part, when you encounter a bad guy, you won't be concentrating on that front sight.

*I'll add more later, gotta get back to work....

Below is a vid from my phone. Will get the rest off my camera up later tonight hopefully ...

Last edited by C45P312; 11-23-10 at 17:24.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Vickers Tactical
    www.vickerstactical.com

Grey Group Training

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    You got pics of Tiger, Math Whiz, and the Punisher, and I can make out ol' Negligent Discharge in a couple of them.

That was an enjoyable day.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bulbvivid View Post
    You got pics of Tiger, Math Whiz, and the Punisher, and I can make out ol' Negligent Discharge in a couple of them.

That was an enjoyable day.
    Math Whiz? Come on, man, I'm suppose to be Costa. MAGPUL 4 LYFE. And in my defense, I'm an engineering student; we don't do math, we have calculators to do that for us.

All in all, a great day. Being my first formal class, I learned a Helluva lot:
    • I'm not that bad a shooter.
    • I'm not that good a shooter.
    • The ball and dummy drills I've been doing on my own is great for getting rid of tendency to snatch the trigger for first round shots without too much pressure.
    • Standard ball and dummy drills don't help as much for when shooting multiple shots under pressure; a simple time pressure can kill accuracy, to say nothing of what might happen in an actual gunfight.
    • Electronic ear pro is worth its weight in, eh, copper? Either way, a very vital piece of equipment.
    • Bring extra batteries for said electronic ear pro.
    • Reloading is simple (the catch being that the simple things are never easy).
    • Movement also ****s with your accuracy severely, even when it's just moving forward and backward (I dread to think what side to side is going to be like).
    • Classes are addicting.
    • Cole slaw on burgers is actually not too bad (although there was nary a wagon at the Wagon Chuck).

Probably a lot more that just fell out of my head, but for now, I have a lot on my plate to practice. This class was well worth the money, and I plan on taking his Level 1 class next April.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Math Whiz? Come on, man, I'm suppose to be Costa. MAGPUL 4 LYFE. And in my defense, I'm an engineering student; we don't do math, we have calculators to do that for us.
    I was toward the outside of the line, so I didn't catch a lot from the middle and the other end. I heard him call someone Costa, but didn't know it was you. How'd you get that one? We need pics of that old English MAGPUL 4 LYFE abdominal arc tattoo when you get it.

This was my first formal training too, and I took away quite a bit from the class. I'm going to be drilling on fundamentals a lot more in the future. That was the first time I'd ever done ball-and-dummy drills, and I'm going to incorporate those some as well.

Ditto on the ear pro. I don't like using muffs, but for a class the electronics are a must. I got lucky and was able to borrow some from the guy shooting beside me. I could barely pick up the timer during the morning dry-fire stuff, and many times I didn't hear it at all, even with Surefire EP-3's.

I hope ND wasn't too tore up with his, um, incident. I could understand how it could happen, especially if he wasn't wearing electronic ear pro. Even wearing them I had to make sure to pay close attention to be able to pick commands from the chatter and other distractions.

I enjoyed meeting the other shooters in the class too. Everyone seemed to take it seriously but still kept it light and had a good time.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Good Class

Folks,
    It was a good class. I enjoyed being part of it. Everyone improved over the course of the day. Keep the trigger under control and sights aligned and the bullet holes will appear where you want them to be. I am looking forward to seeing some of you again in future classes.

Chris
    "Hans"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    An outstanding Level 1 class. The students were eager to learn and most had made big improvements in their shooting by the end of the day. Everyone came away with improved shooting skills and a new vocabulary! Larry does a great job pushing the students to the next level but at the same time keeping the class fun.

I had a great time helping out and I look forward to the next one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bulbvivid View Post
    Ditto on the ear pro. I don't like using muffs, but for a class the electronics are a must. I got lucky and was able to borrow some from the guy shooting beside me. I could barely pick up the timer during the morning dry-fire stuff, and many times I didn't hear it at all, even with Surefire EP-3's.

I hope ND wasn't too tore up with his, um, incident. I could understand how it could happen, especially if he wasn't wearing electronic ear pro. Even wearing them I had to make sure to pay close attention to be able to pick commands from the chatter and other distractions.
    It ****ed the rest of the class off for me, honestly. I couldn't hear a damn thing being on that end and I made a mistake. No excuses about it, I ****ed up. Ear pro is on the Christmas list. I'm just glad he let me finish the class.

I still learned a lot. He's an awesome teacher and I had a lot of bad habits to break. That whole looking at the mag well to reload was an eye opener. I was taught never take your eyes off the target, but watching a BG shoot you would ruin your day quick so... It put a lot of things into perspective. The ball and dummy drills were worth the price of admission alone. It’s nice to know what I was doing wrong and how to fix it. I met Mr. El Snacho and it wasn’t a pleasant encounter. I'm heading off to the range in the morning to try and reboot my operating system and delete him.

V/r
    Uglyguns

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglyguns View Post
    It ****ed the rest of the class off for me, honestly. I couldn't hear a damn thing being on that end and I made a mistake. No excuses about it, I ****ed up. Ear pro is on the Christmas list. I'm just glad he let me finish the class.
    When it comes to ND's, there are those who have had one and those who haven't had one yet. I'm in the former group, but my incident wasn't quite as public as yours.

I think I have the training bug now though. I'm going to have to take a second job or win the lottery so I can get together the funds to take classes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Vickers Tactical
    www.vickerstactical.com

Grey Group Training

Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)