Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliability: Is the AR10 there yet?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Reliability: Is the AR10 there yet?

So are the AR10 and other .308 AR variants almost as reliable as their 5.56 brothers yet?

What things need to be done to them to improve reliablity?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My experience has always been magazine issues with the Armalites. Rumor has it they are working on a new magazine to solve some of these problems. With the sunset of the AWB they won't have to rely on modified M14 mags anymore.

Feedback Score
    I thought that there new mags were available already... Or are they working on another design?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by altav
    I thought that there new mags were available already... Or are they working on another design?
    You may be right. I haven't kept up with it of late.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I believe that it depends on who you talk to.

Lots of people are operating under the once burned theory, and still quoting their experiences with early ArmaLite AR-10B's. From circa 1996 or so.

That was a decade ago.

However, there are still lots of those uppers, lowers, bolts and mags floating around -- from dealer to dealer -- and user to user.

I'd have to say that, from my experience, they are as reliable as the 5.56 smaller cousins.

I've actually had about 3 more 5.56 rifles than I have had AR-10 rifles and in that time I've had 3 more 5.56 uppers be complete duds.

On my 8th or 10th AR-10 now, sold off most of them to make room for M16's, but only one needed a return trip to Geneseo, IL for TLC.

When it came back, after 3 weeks, it was a perfect specimen. That was around 2000.

The ArmaLite SASS adjustable gas system looks extremely promising as many users state the guns are over gassed.

They are certainly worth the time and money, IMO.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'd really like a clone of the original Dutch manufactured AR-10, preferrably the Portugese model but I could live with the Sudanese style, just wish they didn't have the brass deflector.

Shivan, have you heard if they're going to develop their own mag system rather than base it on the M14?
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar
    Shivan, have you heard if they're going to develop their own mag system rather than base it on the M14?
    ArmaLite's mags are in production, and as far as I can tell shipping out to fill previous orders. I have two of the new ones on my bench.

The new mags are very nice.

No more plunger on the back of the follower for the bolt hold open, which makes loading far easier. I suspect it also deletes tension on the back of the follower that makes, or could make, the follower bind during its cycle.

The function of test mag 1 and 10 were superb. I fired ~160rds through both mags and had only one problem unrelated to the mags -- IIRC it was a full primer strike with no detonation of the round. Or some such ammo related SNAFU.

I think the price is still a little high at $44 MSRP, but they should be commended and paid for the R&D they put in with the new mags. I suspect the street price will settle around $39-$40/mag, which is reasonable in my estimation.

HTH...

Feedback Score
    ArmaLite has a bunch of the new mags for sale at Camp Perry right now. They look nice, but all my old style mags work just fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have never had good luck with the AR10T's Majority are mag issues --I've found for a "working gun" go Mk11 (and suck up the $) -- but even them they are not a 5.56mm reliable system.

Feedback Score
    I hope so.
    Gonna try mine out tomorrow.

SHIVAN since you are the AR10 guru, (I have an AR-A4) any ammo that you recommend/stay away?
    Thanks
    Eric (new to the .308 thing)
    NRA
    USPSA
    VCDL

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast