Thread: Reliability: Is the AR10 there yet?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Reliability: Is the AR10 there yet?

So are the AR10 and other .308 AR variants almost as reliable as their 5.56 brothers yet?

What things need to be done to them to improve reliablity?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My experience has always been magazine issues with the Armalites. Rumor has it they are working on a new magazine to solve some of these problems. With the sunset of the AWB they won't have to rely on modified M14 mags anymore.

Feedback Score
    I thought that there new mags were available already... Or are they working on another design?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by altav
    I thought that there new mags were available already... Or are they working on another design?
    You may be right. I haven't kept up with it of late.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I believe that it depends on who you talk to.

Lots of people are operating under the once burned theory, and still quoting their experiences with early ArmaLite AR-10B's. From circa 1996 or so.

That was a decade ago.

However, there are still lots of those uppers, lowers, bolts and mags floating around -- from dealer to dealer -- and user to user.

I'd have to say that, from my experience, they are as reliable as the 5.56 smaller cousins.

I've actually had about 3 more 5.56 rifles than I have had AR-10 rifles and in that time I've had 3 more 5.56 uppers be complete duds.

On my 8th or 10th AR-10 now, sold off most of them to make room for M16's, but only one needed a return trip to Geneseo, IL for TLC.

When it came back, after 3 weeks, it was a perfect specimen. That was around 2000.

The ArmaLite SASS adjustable gas system looks extremely promising as many users state the guns are over gassed.

They are certainly worth the time and money, IMO.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'd really like a clone of the original Dutch manufactured AR-10, preferrably the Portugese model but I could live with the Sudanese style, just wish they didn't have the brass deflector.

Shivan, have you heard if they're going to develop their own mag system rather than base it on the M14?
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    The new ArmaLite mags are more user friendly, but I've never had reliability problems with any FACTORY ArmaLite AR10 mag.

I believe that a propery maintained (lubed) AR10 with good ammo and mags can hold its own against an AR15. Much of the 'legacy' of AR10 problems can be traced to bubba-built mags, and WECSOG-work.

I agree with Shivan - Buy all the .308 Port you can find (if you can find any).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

SASS

We actually got to mess with all the submitted SAS rifles and decided to come up with our own.

Using a DPMS LR .308 (The one with the forward assist that Rem used which was on the property books from I don't know when) we took parts from all three guns (Armalite, KAC and Rem). This is what our build sheet consisted of:

1. DPMS LR .308 Receiver
    2. Magpul Stock
    3. Daniel Defense 12.0 Lite Rail
    4. Kriger 1/10 20" BBL
    5. Accuracy Speaks Trigger
    6. Leupold M2 3.5-10x40mm TMR w/ illum reticle
    7. ARMS #22 Medium Rings
    8. OPS Inc. .30 cal 12th Model MBS
    9. Armalite SASS Adjustable gas system
    10. KAC Front and rear sights
    11. GG&G Heavy Bipods.

During the build we had to mill the DD Rail System to fit the Armalite SASS Gas system but it was not much of a problem. We already had data on the Adjustable gas system settings for unsuppressed fire so all we had to do is strap on the can and work out a couple of issues. The gun is VERY capable using M118LR (AMU Loads) and is shooting aroud 1/2 moa. I however don't think that it will replace a good bolt gun anytime in the future.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some experience from the non-tactical side of things.

Back in the 1997 - 1999 time frame, David Tubb tried to make the SR-25 in 6.5-08 work as a NRA Match Rifle. He had untold problems with broken parts of all sorts. It took several modifications to get it all to work. He finally won the National Championship with it on his third attempt in 1999. He decided that the gun was never going to be as accurate and as reliable as his bolt guns, so he ditched it and went back to the Model 70s he had so much success with.

Tubb did like the AR-15-like ergonomics so much that he incorporated them in his own-design bolt gun. While the TUBB2000 looks like an AR-10 turned into a bolt gun, it is not. It does not share the upper/lower receiver design of the AR series and the bolt design is completely different.

Target version:

Tactical version: