Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Failed Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads

Feedback Score

Failed Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads

Just thought I would ask what rounds failed and why.

Feedback Score
    They all have at one time or another.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor

Aimpoint USA ProStaff

www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com

Feedback Score

Define "failure"

To answer the poster's question, one must first have one or more working definitions of "failure," i.e., failed to do what?

For examples, "failure" could be defined as being unable to find or purchase certain ammunition. Another definition might be not meeting the minimum of 12" penetration. Another definition might be failure to produce a "one shot stop." (Gag! )
    Last edited by BuckskinJoe; 07-30-10 at 03:49.
    That's the life of an outlaw...tough, ain't it.--Sam Elliot as Conagher

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For the purposes of the FBI, failure is any load that does not penetration up to 12" in ballistic gel. Optimal is 12"-18" of penetration, while exceeding 18" is considered to be a waste of energy and wounding ability.

There is also the expansion component which is of secondary importance. The bullet needs to have rapid and reliable expansion in order to maximize the total wound volume. The expanded bullet also acts as a wadcutter which cuts more tissue instead of just pushing it aside as a FMJ bullet does.

If either component is "lacking", then the ammunition usually does not make Dr. Roberts' list of recommended duty ammunition.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Common failure points include projectiles not penetrating 12", projectiles having inadequate expansion--primarily with the 4 layer denim or heavy clothing test, and projectiles demonstrating poor intermediate barrier performance, particularly against automobile windshields. Well designed projectiles generally do not have any of these issues.

Feedback Score

I understand the FBI requirement

I'm asking about the ammo that has been tested and failed and why.

I'm OCD like that.
    Last edited by kh86; 07-30-10 at 13:47. Reason: P.S.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckskinJoe View Post
    For examples, "failure" could be defined as being unable to find or purchase certain ammunition.
    I totally get this point too.

Feedback Score
    I am not sure of failure loads but I wouldn't think you would have any failure for the 44mag in any load. Just my 2cents

Feedback Score
    "I am not sure of failure loads but I wouldn't think you would have any failure for the 44mag in any load. "
    Upon what verifiable FACTS are you basing your hitherto unsupported supposition or is it mere meretricious conjecture?

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude Robert View Post
    I am not sure of failure loads but I wouldn't think you would have any failure for the 44mag in any load. Just my 2cents
    Even a .44magnum load can fail to expand resulting in nothing more than a clean .44" hole through the body. If you compare total wounding volume, a reliably expanding 9mm would likely be better as it will take out more of the person's anatomy than a non expanding .44magnum.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast