Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing a 1-4x mount - High or Standard Height?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I've got the centered the middle of the rings and the mount all the way forward on the upper. I've I got another farther forward I loose my eye relief sweet spot. The MBUS is about 1/8" too tall to fit. The eye piece on the Nikon M223 is very large, larger than most others I looked at so that may be the issue.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fried Chicken Blowout View Post
    I'm looking for a QD optic mount for a 1-4x optic to mount on an AR, and I'm not sure if I want the High version or the standard version. It would be nice to be able to get the BUIS under the optic incase I needed to pop it off. This would call for the high mount, but I don't want to give my self cheek weld problems by jacking the optic up higher than it needs to be. How do I make this decision and what factors am I missing?
    What you're missing is that you won't know what works best for you until you try it. If you can, mock up the scope with each height and mount it to the rifle. With your eyes closed, set your body and mind as if you're shooting and mount the rifle to your shoulder. Open your eyes and look through the sight. If everything is set right, you should be looking though the sight without having to adjust your head. It will show you what the effect of mounting height will be

Feedback Score
    Which position will you be shooting from primarily? Bench or prone?

If your going to mock up the mounting system, be sure to try both positions to see what works best.

Last edited by DTHN2LGS; 12-18-10 at 13:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DTHN2LGS View Post
    Which position will you be shooting from primarily? Bench or prone?

If your going to mock up the mounting system, be sure to try both positions to see what works best.

Absolutely!

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    You shouldn't have an issue with most optics and irons with the 1.5" height.

The 1.93" is nice that its a lot easier for rapid shots as the way the gun recoils you get on target quicker.

Downside is for precision shooting its a little bit harder to get a solid cheekweld.

Ideally Id like a 1.75" mount but they dont make that.

So if most of for your shooting is drills Id get the taller mount. Most od it precision based with some drills the 1.5.
    +1 and I do like the additional height over the front sight tower, especially with a smaller objective lens scope. I almost ended up going with two Larue Aimpoint mounts to get a 1.8" height.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    You shouldn't have an issue with most optics and irons with the 1.5" height.

The 1.93" is nice that its a lot easier for rapid shots as the way the gun recoils you get on target quicker.

Downside is for precision shooting its a little bit harder to get a solid cheekweld.

Ideally Id like a 1.75" mount but they dont make that.

So if most of for your shooting is drills Id get the taller mount. Most od it precision based with some drills the 1.5.
    Ditto.
    I have the 1.93 to clear the FSP on a 16" carbine. I just ordered an upper with no FSP and was going to get a 1.5 until I realized how easy it is to shoot up close at 1X. I can get my eye behind the optic easier while keeping my head up.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I have a TR24 in a 1.93 mount. I like how you do not loose your vision to the side because you have a low stock/cheek weld. It also makes it easier for me to keep both eyes open.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    For an AR I would discourage people from using a mount that is so high that you can simultaneously use your BUIS. IMO this is only relevant to reflex optics where you can get a proper co-witness.

If you're using a magnified optic get it as low as possible for a proper cheek weld.

Instead I would emphasize a QD mount. If the magnified optic goes down, then you can detach it quickly to use your irons.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12