Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about long term durability

Feedback Score

Question about long term durability

We all know that for high round counts the polymer pistols are better for reliability and durability than the metal frame models. But after talking to my neighbor who is a doctor I am wondering about time taking a toll on the polymer causing it to go brittle, i.e. 20 or 30 years down the road. He said the medical field switched back from polymer to stainless on joints, one of the reasons being the polymer degraded. I know that it is a completely different polymer for frames and artificial joints but I am wondering anyway.

I think we should be able to get some insight now since various rifles have had polymer stocks since the 60s, the AUG has been out since 1977 and the Glock has been around since 82. Has there been any problem with these platforms as far as plastic degredation?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Only with the ones that people burned trying to see what would degrade a polymer frame pistol.

Check out thread on post above this one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You do know you can buy a new one, right?

B_C

Feedback Score
    Coming from a manufacturer of plastic products made from weapons grade nylon: expose it to the sun no more than is necessary.

Dave

Boonie Packer

Feedback Score
    There are Glocks from the eighties still running with over 200K through them... So I'm gonna go with "They are gonna last a while" for $500, Alex.

Just buy a spare if the idea of your gun possibly having problems decades from now bothers you.
    Last edited by wesprt; 11-28-10 at 18:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Remington's Nylon 66 .22 rifles have been around since about 1959. Not sure of the exact vintage of the two I have but the stocks on both show no evidence of aging. At one time Remington would replace any Nylon 66 stock that broke free of charge.

My understanding is that they were discontinued because the machinery for making them wore out and it was determined to be economically impractical to replace it for a somewhat saturated market. The guns themselves just seem to keep on ticking.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting question, but I think you are talking apples and oranges.

Ask your doc friend if the real problem with the plastic knee caps is the formation of wear particles that can lead to bacterial infection.

I have no concerns about the polymers used in quality weapons.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Remington's Nylon 66 .22 rifles have been around since about 1959. Not sure of the exact vintage of the two I have but the stocks on both show no evidence of aging. At one time Remington would replace any Nylon 66 stock that broke free of charge.

My understanding is that they were discontinued because the machinery for making them wore out and it was determined to be economically impractical to replace it for a somewhat saturated market. The guns themselves just seem to keep on ticking.
    Exactly the comparison I was thinking of. As I understand it, the receiver was also nylon on the 66 and I've never heard anything except how they seem to last and last.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Polymer is by far the most commonly used articular surface in artificial joints, usually high molecular weight polyethylene. I know that the debris from wear of the polyethylene can occasionally cause problems with the joint, but not infections.

The OP either misunderstood his doctor friend, or his doctor friend isn't very knowledgeable about joint replacement.
    Last edited by Hmac; 11-28-10 at 21:28.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast