Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about long term durability

Feedback Score
    -Well, what we can prove for sure is there are lots of Gen1 and Gen2 one pin polymer framed 9mm Glocks that are 20+ years old being used and used hard on a regular basis today. So far they seem to be holding up just fine. A lot of them have also been exposed to the elements including constant exposure to the sun with open carry by officers and competition shooters, being stored in hot cars, and various chemical agents (not to mention questionable ones) to clean the guns.

-If for the sake of argument, worst case scenario, that polymer frames do start deteriorating after 30-50 years it would be pretty devastating to the firearms industry since practically every major handgun manufacturer today is so heavily invested and geared towards polymer framed guns.

- We know Glock frames have a certain minimum shelf life and will increase as time goes on. Same goes for other polymer frames who have been around almost as long like H&K, Walther, or even XD. But what about polymer formulas used by other manufacturers. I'm assuming they're fairly similar. But do each manufacturer have their own proprietary formula? How good is their QC or their knowledge of working with polymers? Will a relatively new polymer frame gun made by Taurus, Beretta, or the S&W M&P prove to have a shelf life as long as a Glock?

-Chemical engineers say modern polymers, the kind used for guns, will eventually compromise their structural integrity with time but its not something to be concerned within a person's lifetime or several lifetimes. In terms of human years their shelf life is almost indefinate in comparison. Theoretically of course.

-People who own "steel" or "aluminum" pistols shouldn't feel all that smug. Not all pistols will continue production, many will be discontinued as decades wear on. Most of those pistols will not likely be supported or parts will not be available/difficult to find or smiths available for major repairs. Certain handguns like the 1911 or S&W/Ruger revolvers will likely endure throughout our lifetime while most others will face obsolenscence rather quickly, and those guns will seem too dear to shoot except maybe special occasions. Will SIG Sauer have parts for a stamp steel P226 or S&W have parts for the 5906 50 years from now? I kinda doubt it. But you know the same could be said for almost any modern design including the Glock 17 since that segment of the market is overly obsessed with the "latest" and "The New".
    Last edited by Ian111; 11-29-10 at 14:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Polymer is by far the most commonly used articular surface in artificial joints, usually high molecular weight polyethylene. I know that the debris from wear of the polyethylene can occasionally cause problems with the joint, but not infections.

The OP either misunderstood his doctor friend, or his doctor friend isn't very knowledgeable about joint replacement.
    That's also my experience.
    I've been using hmw for years and the pros outweigh the cons every time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop Alexandra View Post
    That's also my experience.
    I've been using hmw for years and the pros outweigh the cons every time.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-07-22 at 21:07.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    12 years!?
    C'mon MAN!!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    With joint replacements and guns I'm sure there are some plastics that don't work. Actually, "real" sure after many years in plastics for a living. No doubt sometimes the wrong one is chosen. Variety of reasons: cheaper, untested but thought to be better, cheaper. Yes I said cheaper twice.

And anyway how do you test a plastic formulation for how it will age...? Either with a time machine or in a lab, simulating age with hot/cold cycles, maybe in a moist or dry environment or an otherwise somewhat toxic-to-plastic one. Most outfits opt for the latter.

Me I have seen all manner of plastic things age out-- made from different types of plastic (weird side note, the adjustment dial on a lawn sprinkler that I remember from my earliest childhood, has stood the test of time and weather. I have set it aside in case I ever want to make a joint replacement out of it.)

So the very best plastic for holding up to the years-- is not really known. But as I said in an article about magazines once, I am a user of plastic (oops, "polymer") magazines because it saves wear and tear on my metal ones. I want the metal ones fresh when I'm 200 years old and the plastic ones are long done for.

If The Pyramids had somehow been built of modern industry's very most advanced and long-lasting plastic, they would not be known today as The Pyramids. They would be called "Those Humps in the Sand".

Not saying plastic has no part in the gun biz, but I do like the idea that something like a 1911 properly cared for will still be viable in two hundred, four hundred, or more, years.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I figured it out. This thread is so old, there ought to be some long term durability info now!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I figured it out. This thread is so old, there ought to be some long term durability info now!
    I was thinking the same. My oldest Glock is now 10 yrs. old, my oldest AR I currently have is 12. Polymer parts on both are just fine.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I was thinking the same. My oldest Glock is now 10 yrs. old, my oldest AR I currently have is 12. Polymer parts on both are just fine.
    My G22 is 22 years old and still fine.

Feedback Score
    I'm no expert, but my favorite glocks are 2nd gen. I have been carrying and shooting my 2nd gen glocks for approximately 30 years. This includes one 2nd gen glock 17 that was my training/competition gun (identical to my carry gun except aftermarket barrel) that has close to if not more than 300,000 rounds downrange. I never had an issue with the frame. I do sometimes wonder about metal fatigue regarding the slide, but they all run great. I have learned a few things about strange maintenance issues in running them so long and hard.

In regards to AR's, I bought my SP1 in 1978 and sent many rounds downrange back in the day. I carried that gun for years and it spent quite a bit of time in the desert sun. It is now in retirement. Perhaps, once or twice a year, I take it out for a mag or two---just for memories sake. It brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye.

Cheers, Steve
    Last edited by ssc; 12-08-22 at 16:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wesprt View Post
    There are Glocks from the eighties still running with over 200K through them... So I'm gonna go with "They are gonna last a while" for $500, Alex.

Just buy a spare if the idea of your gun possibly having problems decades from now bothers you.
    I think it comes more into play with future heirlooms and historical pieces.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast