Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Hornady lock n load system

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thoughts on Hornady lock n load system

Hey guys, need some thoughts on the hornady lock n load system.

I have been wanting to get into reloading for a while and ran across this system in my research. It sounds like the lock n load bushings would make things easier to duplicate once set up and locked in. It also comes with everything needed to get started up, as I have nothing.

This would be for range ammo mostly (223/556, 9, 40 45) and possibly some precision hunting loads in .270 and eventually 300acc.

Is this a good investment? I have enough rewards points to get the system and some dies without having to out of pocket any funds. Any advice is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I have a Lock and Load. Awesome system and your are correct that the bushing do make things a lot easier.

I was in your shoes a while back and everyone told me to go Dillon. In my experience Hornady customer service is every bit as good at Dillon. All Hornady ammo is developed on their own reloading equipment. Do your research but you need to run a Dillon filter as most of those that say go blue have never used any other reloading equipment and have a huge bias.

I dont reload as much as I used to as the price of ammo has come down but I very much love my LnL.

Feedback Score
    I went with the LNL several years ago and am very happy. CS is outstanding. On paper and in use it is a far superior design to the Dillon. The benefit of the bushing system will become evident very quickly.

I too asked around online and at stores. Most people recommended Dillon but when asked why the most common reason was ....that’s what everyone else uses..or great CS. The best resource is the Ultimate Reloader website. He has videos on every brand. Though he tries to remain unbiased, it was pretty obvious he liked the LNL best. The LNL is simply the best design out there. The powder measure is also great.

I use it for high volume pistol but it should be even more user friendly for multi cal rifle
    Last edited by OldState; 07-10-19 at 13:18.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The LNL single stage press is a light duty unit. I wore one of those out. I run the LNL convertion on my Big Boss II, and I love it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I personally if I had to start from scratch I would buy a Forster CO-AX press and piece together everything else I needed I think you would be money ahead in the long run. Now if your not really sure reloading is your thing and are just sort of dangling a toe in the reloading pond maybe a kit like that is a good way to go. I bought a similar RCBS kit years ago I think I'm still using the chamfer/deburing tool from that kit but little else.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    To follow up... I see that you're indeed talking about the kit.

I run the hell out of my single stage for decapping and sizing everything, and every other misc. operation that requires a press. My LNL single stage has a cast alloy body that I wore out to the point where the press shaft has a considerable amount of play in it.

If you're not going to load high volume, that press could be ok. But I run my single stage hard and needed a cast iron press with a larger diameter ram/shaft to handle the load and volume.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    To follow up... I see that you're indeed talking about the kit.

I run the hell out of my single stage for decapping and sizing everything, and every other misc. operation that requires a press. My LNL single stage has a cast alloy body that I wore out to the point where the press shaft has a considerable amount of play in it.

If you're not going to load high volume, that press could be ok. But I run my single stage hard and needed a cast iron press with a larger diameter ram/shaft to handle the load and volume.
    Have you chatted with Hornady about replacement parts?

Feedback Score
    Almost all of my reloading products were made by Hornady. I actually don't use the LNL bushings because I don't find them necessary. Hornady's die rings tighten in a manner that's far superior to most of the other rings that are on the market. They can be tightened to the die so that they won't move. The die can then be returned to the same point again and again. It's not a big deal, but I also prefer Hornady's die boxes. There's much more room in them than other companies offer. They also stack very well.

Most of all, I'd recommend the Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Comparator. It will greatly help you determine the exact amount of sizing that needs to be done to your brass. Like a press and dies, this is a must have in my opinion.
    https://www.hornady.com/reloading/pr...il-base-kit#!/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Have you chatted with Hornady about replacement parts?
    I messaged them on their site. They gave me the phone number to call, but I never did. I still have the press, but just use it as a dedicated bullet puller.

I'm sure Hornady would have replaced the press, but I really needed to bump up to a heavier duty press. Not a knock on Hornady... that press is just not made for my volume of wear.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Most of all, I'd recommend the Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Comparator. It will greatly help you determine the exact amount of sizing that needs to be done to your brass. Like a press and dies, this is a must have in my opinion.
    Depending on the caliber, a case gauge is much more user friendly (in my opinion), especially for gas guns.

For Bolt guns, I've always just adjusted the body die to where the brass will close into the chamber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast