Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spotting scopes.

Feedback Score

Spotting scopes.

What are some reccomendations for a good spotting scope?
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    I'm interested to.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    LOL - Dinger and I were talking about this very same thing last weekend at the range and both of us are clueless when it comes to spotting scopes.

So we need help as well

Feedback Score
    The right spotting scope for you depends on your application.

-If you just want to see .22 holes in paper at 100 yards, pretty much anything will do.

-If you want to look for game in the hills, you don't need great glass, but something light and compact is helpful

-If you're trying to see .22 holes in paper beyond ~200 yards you need high quality glass.

I started with an el-cheapo Simmons then ditched that for a Bushnell Spacemaster. The Spacemaster's resolution made the Simmon look like a child's toy.

The Spacemaster was very good for the price, but beyond 300 yards, it just didn't have the resolution needed. A buddy brought a Kowa 81 mm scope to my range and it was like night and day compared to my Spacemaster. I sold my Spacemaster the next week and am saving up for a Kowa.

Feedback Score
    Griz what would be a good scope for 22 holes at 400 yards? Thats the longest I would need to see clearly. My budget would be around $300.00

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom
    Griz what would be a good scope for 22 holes at 400 yards? Thats the longest I would need to see clearly. My budget would be around $300.00

First off, I'm no expert, I've just made the mistake of buying a cheap spotting scope and then regretting it (twice). That said, I don't think you're going to find anything that will do what you want for $300. The Bushnell Spacemaster I had is one of the best scopes you can get for under $300 and it was not up to the task.

My range is 450 yards, and in the morning or afternoon when the mirage is not bad, my buddy's 81mm Kowa can resolve .22 holes. If the sun is beating down, I doubt even the Hubble telescope would be able to penetrate the heat waves (this range is in SC).

Feedback Score
    I need one for .308 holes out to 400-600 yards...
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Griz
    First off, I'm no expert, I've just made the mistake of buying a cheap spotting scope and then regretting it (twice). That said, I don't think you're going to find anything that will do what you want for $300. The Bushnell Spacemaster I had is one of the best scopes you can get for under $300 and it was not up to the task.

My range is 450 yards, and in the morning or afternoon when the mirage is not bad, my buddy's 81mm Kowa can resolve .22 holes. If the sun is beating down, I doubt even the Hubble telescope would be able to penetrate the heat waves (this range is in SC).
    Thats what I was afraid of. I guess I need to increase the budget amount.

Feedback Score
    Kowa's are pretty well respected within competition circles, but by the time you get a good eyepiece and tripod, you are talking some $$$. Maybe best bet is to look on various competiton boards for used stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    What are some reccomendations for a good spotting scope?
    How about a price range? I don't want to hijack your question, but I'm also in the market for a good spotting scope with sound function ou to 400-500 yards. I just don't want to HAVE to spend $1500-$2000 for a Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast