Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Downsides to a Commander length 1911?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    Roger that. The commander is alright, but you might as well get the man's version.

I really cringe when I see the ads for the micro .45 acps from Para and the like. People buy those things thinking they're getting the full power of the .45 in a pocket sized pistol.... but the velocity loss on those things is huge.
    Careful...it might not be very long, but it's as big around as a "Coffee Can"!

Seriously though...

I don't care for the "Micro 1911's" either. But I classify those as under 4.5" barrels, and the reliability that I've seen out of "Non- Colt Combat Commanders" makes me shutter. Especially if someone's life is depending on it. But I've never owned a short 1911 other than Colt's, so I might be talking out my pie hole! Please no flames!

As stated earlier, I've had several Gov't Models, and 3 Commanders, and they have all functioned flawlessly with the right modifications, right magazines, and right ammo, and the right spring combination. I have over 100,000 rounds through the "Pipe" of 1911's, and this experience is what I base my comments, and opinions on.

But I say that about all out of the box full size 1911's as well! Including Colt! Modifications I believe are critical would include, relieved ejection ports, Commander Ejector, ramp and throat job (boy have I seen a lot of those FUBAR'd), a good trigger, good sights, and you're pretty much GTG. Checkering is nice, as well as beveled Mag. wells, but they're not "Critical" to 100% reliability!

My current Combat Commander is something that I would stake not only my life, but my families life (which is more imprtant to me) on. It has an upgraded trigger, Novak sights, a beveled mag well I did myself, a high power recoil spring, a high power firing pin spring, and that's pretty much it. I use Wilson 7 round mags., and have since 1979. 100% reliable!

IMHO...It's really a matter of personal preference, the proper gun set-up, and 100% reliability. I smile when I remember Jeff Cooper saying that "999 times out of 1,000 is good enough for any machine". But that was before some of the excellent work that SOME pistolsmiths have performed over the last 3 decades on the 1911. I've seen tons of "Full Size" 1911's including Colt that are far from reliabale, and it's not the barrel size that is the determining factor. And, I have seen and owned pistols that are 100% reliable with the proper tuning.

I remeber having a full size 1911 customized by Don Fisher at "Fisher Custom Forearms" here in Colorado that had ~9,000 rounds on it without 1 malfunction. Like many of us...I sold it. Arghhhhh! BTW, Don doesn't build guns anymore which is a shame. He built guns for the 1979 IPSC World Champ, Ross Seyfried as well. Ross would also shoot Pachmyers.

For me, the little bit of reduced length on a Commander is more comfortable for me in my Spark's Summer Special IWB holster. It doesn't dig into my butt as much as Full Size. Yes...it's minimal, but to me, noticeable.

I'm done. I don't have anything of value to add, unless someone has a specific question regarding my post. Thanks for reading!!!

Take care, and stay safe!

Tack

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Tack,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Commander related and otherwise. I appreciate your very valid observations. I made my choice for reasons very similar to what you have pointed out. I felt the Commander (4.25") would be a little more comfortable for CCW, (the Bobtail helped that too), velocity would still be reasonable and reliability could be good, if the pistol was built right. A Commander is not "micro" by any stretch.

Any ideas on the ejection issue I described earlier?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    Tack,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Commander related and otherwise. I appreciate your very valid observations. I made my choice for reasons very similar to what you have pointed out. I felt the Commander (4.25") would be a little more comfortable for CCW, (the Bobtail helped that too), velocity would still be reasonable and reliability could be good, if the pistol was built right. A Commander is not "micro" by any stretch.

Any ideas on the ejection issue I described earlier?
    Nome other than what I have already taken a stab at. I still can't understand how brass could make a mark in frnont of the ejection port. Behind it, yes.

Sorry, maybe someone with more experience will chime in on this one.

Maybe make a new post asking just this question to attrack more responses.

Tack

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123