Page 53 of 256 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Watches

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post
    Lets see them
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post
    I got my dream watch after achieving one of my first big life goals as a present to myself to commemorate the success. An original IWC Doppel Chronograph with bracelet.
    Never been a big fan of IWC. If I'm going to pay that kinda $$$$, they should be making their own movements in my view. But, many love theur IWCs, so get what make ya happy. Good luck with the lawyers.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have ± $500 to spend on a watch.

Anyone know of any quality timepieces in that price range?

So far, the JSAR is my first pick.

ETA: Something that looks rugged but somewhat dressy.
    Last edited by parishioner; 07-26-10 at 22:44.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jman4427 View Post

Not sure how big of a guy you are, but the JSAR is a LARGE watch. I'll PM you a website that has a lot of good watch info and several brands that are good quality at a fair price and meet your rugged but dressy criteria. Good luck in your search

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Whoops, this is the baller watch thread. I must go find the peon thread in the Tactical Gear section.
    Last edited by Bowser; 04-23-11 at 15:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post

Never been a big fan of IWC. If I'm going to pay that kinda $$$$, they should be making their own movements in my view. But, many love theur IWCs, so get what make ya happy. Good luck with the lawyers.
    Oh, that hurts me!

I will offer the following observation:

IMO IWC is superior to Rolex in that they offer great pieces running a much wider spectrum of tech/horology. On a scale of 1-10 for horological horsepower, they offer pieces from 5-10, versus Rolex which runs from , say, 5-7. I'd take a Shaffhausen bench-tuned 2892 over a stock Rolex 3-hand/date movement most days, I think. It's only the lower-end watches that don't feature in-house movements. Also, IWC now occupies the old SIG building overlooking the falls downsteam from Schaffhausen, so that's gotta be worth something!

I love this thread, by the way. It never dies, and never should. Hope you all had a happy Easter weekend.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jman4427 View Post

Maybe a Seiko Land Monster. Great watches for the $$$.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjmcd View Post
    Oh, that hurts me!

I will offer the following observation:

IMO IWC is superior to Rolex in that they offer great pieces running a much wider spectrum of tech/horology. On a scale of 1-10 for horological horsepower, they offer pieces from 5-10, versus Rolex which runs from , say, 5-7. I'd take a Shaffhausen bench-tuned 2892 over a stock Rolex 3-hand/date movement most days, I think. It's only the lower-end watches that don't feature in-house movements. Also, IWC now occupies the old SIG building overlooking the falls downsteam from Schaffhausen, so that's gotta be worth something!

I love this thread, by the way. It never dies, and never should. Hope you all had a happy Easter weekend.
    I can't argue with your points per se, and I know they are making much more of their movements in house these days. For me, most of the IWC designs do little/nothing for me, and other watches in the price range are higher on my list.

Rolex of course is known for making rugged tool watches with tough movements that are not real pretty to look at, and as you say, not high tech/horology per se.

For what ever reason, IWC, for the $$$, just don't do it for me, but that's what makes horse racing as they say!
    Last edited by WillBrink; 04-25-11 at 12:14.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Maybe a Seiko Land Monster. Great watches for the $$$.
    I bought a glock instead. Maybe another time.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've had this old Submariner since I was in college in the 70's - I keep meaning to send it back to Rolex for a refurb. The Daytona is newer, I bought it about 15 years ago and really haven't worn the Submariner since. Not technologically advanced maybe, but both have been rugged and utterly reliable and keep excellent time. They've met my every expectation for an EDC watch.

Feedback Score
    I can't argue with your points per se, and I know they are making much more of their movements in house these days. For me, most of the IWC designs do little/nothing for me, and other watches in the price range are higher on my list.

Rolex of course is known for making rugged tool watches with tough movements that are not real pretty to look at, and as you say, not high tech/horology per se.

For what ever reason, IWC, for the $$$, just don't do it for me, but that's what makes horse racing as they say!
    Truer word never spoken! Rolex bashing is a time-honored sport, as you know. ( not that I'd turn down an Explorer II )

Your JLC is a thing of... well... not beauty. But it's awesome all the same. I love that watch. In fact, a JLC MC Geographique is one of 2 or 3 grails for me. With 2 little kids, I will have to settle for a Master Control though.

Have you looked into Bremont, by the by? I wear an MBII now most days, and rotate it with my IWC ref3538 AT2000 Ti. The Bremont is the shit.

Page 53 of 256 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast