Thread: Scout Leader Uses Quikclot on Multiple Occasions

Feedback Score

Scout Leader Uses Quikclot on Multiple Occasions

I have some experience with the product Quikclot to control severe bleeding and I believe that the gauze or sponge versions of their products are essential to any good first aid kit. The following comes from a Boy Scout leader who has had several instances where he used this invaluable treatment.

I am an assistant scoutmaster for BSA Troop 146 in West Hartford. While I haven’t (thank goodness) had the occasion to use the QC Sport products, I’ve used the gauze products twice on scouts just in the last year. I’m one of three adults associated with the troop that is CPR Certified, First Aid Certified, etc.

In May of 2010, we had 12 scouts on the Metacommet Trail in Middlebury for a 6 mile Saturday morning hike. I was carrying a Trauma Pak With QuikClot from Adventure Medical Kits in my day pack as well as a couple 2x2s and 4x4s. Approximately 2/3 of the way thru the hike, one of our 12 year old “newbie” scouts slipped and went down. He had a pretty good gash in his cheek and his nose was bleeding profusely. We cut and rolled a 2x2, inserted it into his nose, then folded down another 2x2 for the wound on his cheek. We had to replace the gauze in his nose once, but the bleeding from both wounds was stopped within 3 – 4 minutes.

In October of 2010, I had 22 scouts on a weekend campout in Peoples State Forest. One of the guys tripped and ended up face-first on the rock-lined fire ring. He broke his nose and suffered a very mild concussion. I set his nose and cut down a 2x2, rolled it and placed it in his nostrils. I had to replace it once, but it stopped the bleeding within 6 minutes or so. His Dad came and picked him up a few hours later.

Those are my 2 good uses since starting here in March. I gave my Dad some samples because he’s on blood thinners and fancies himself a woodworker in his retirement. Its only a matter of time until I have a good “Used Your Product” story from him.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Thumbs up

My oldest is a Webelos I - his little twin brothers will be Tigers next year. I already have some quickclot products in my BoB's. I'll rotate them into ACTIVE First Aid kits, once my oldest starts hitting the trail... SOON!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would recommend use of any of these hemostatic agents only in cases of traumatic bleeding that doesn't respond to direct pressure or is unlikely to do so. Hard to imagine either of the scenarios described as being worth the use of Quikclot. ER patients will rarely thank first responders that use the stuff on them as the ER personnel are trying to get that crap out of the wound.

Life threatening arterial or mixed A-V extremity bleeding is one thing. Using it in a trivial laceration and risking delays in wound healing, retained foreign body reaction, and increased risk of infection in a patient who is not clotting-impaired is another, and IMHO not justified.
    Last edited by Hmac; 12-02-10 at 11:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AZwildcat View Post
    I have some experience with the product Quikclot to control severe bleeding and I believe that the gauze or sponge versions of their products are essential to any good first aid kit. The following comes from a Boy Scout leader who has had several instances where he used this invaluable treatment.

I am an assistant scoutmaster for BSA Troop 146 in West Hartford. While I haven’t (thank goodness) had the occasion to use the QC Sport products, I’ve used the gauze products twice on scouts just in the last year. I’m one of three adults associated with the troop that is CPR Certified, First Aid Certified, etc.

In May of 2010, we had 12 scouts on the Metacommet Trail in Middlebury for a 6 mile Saturday morning hike. I was carrying a Trauma Pak With QuikClot from Adventure Medical Kits in my day pack as well as a couple 2x2s and 4x4s. Approximately 2/3 of the way thru the hike, one of our 12 year old “newbie” scouts slipped and went down. He had a pretty good gash in his cheek and his nose was bleeding profusely. We cut and rolled a 2x2, inserted it into his nose, then folded down another 2x2 for the wound on his cheek. We had to replace the gauze in his nose once, but the bleeding from both wounds was stopped within 3 – 4 minutes.

In October of 2010, I had 22 scouts on a weekend campout in Peoples State Forest. One of the guys tripped and ended up face-first on the rock-lined fire ring. He broke his nose and suffered a very mild concussion. I set his nose and cut down a 2x2, rolled it and placed it in his nostrils. I had to replace it once, but it stopped the bleeding within 6 minutes or so. His Dad came and picked him up a few hours later.

Those are my 2 good uses since starting here in March. I gave my Dad some samples because he’s on blood thinners and fancies himself a woodworker in his retirement. Its only a matter of time until I have a good “Used Your Product” story from him.
    Where in his CPR or CFR classes did this person think he learned to use Quick-Clot products in such an absurd manner? Where did he learn to set a broken nose?

These are not good testimonials to anything other than the danger of untrained, inexperienced people using advanced medical products improperly.

Feedback Score
    Concur with the last two posts, please dont routinely use a hemostatic agent for anything less than true life treatening hemhorage from a non compressable site. Nose bleeds get a towel, femoral artery lacs get quickclot combat gauze. Hopefully you did not try and suture the childs face . . .

Feedback Score
    I am DEFINITELY going to have to agree... We use quick clot in Iraq for bleeds that will kill a patient, not because a soldier fell and his nose began to bleed... This is a huge waste of resources... tissue or heck even a darn tampon in the nose will more than do.
    Last edited by LUCKY MEDIC25; 12-03-10 at 08:03.