Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and Fitness!

Feedback Score
    I know of a lot of famous athletes that drank a little or a lot. A lot of them ended up being famous because they did drink. I do not know many of them that stayed in the game and stayed great very long while using alcohol. I do not know many truly great athletes that used much or any alcohol while in their sports profession.

To me, it is hardly worth arguing about. Some say it is ok or good to have a little, some say not. I believe at best, it is an excuse to drink. If you are going to drink, then drink. If you want to be the best you can be, don't. Taurus is a hated weapon on this forum. I would rather have a Taurus and no alcohol in me than a Glock and a beer or two. My two cents on the subject are spent.
    Last edited by 300WM; 12-13-10 at 21:07.

Feedback Score
    Hi Guys,

You all have some good points, I actually have an MS in exercise science.

The answers will vary across the board. will a few beers hurt you??? probably not, will getting shit faced once in awhile hurt you??? nope...If you take some time to read about some of the great athletes out there, you might notice that many of them enjoy their beer and wine IE: Lance Armstrong, Steve Scott (more sub 4 minute miles than anybody), Steve Prefontaine was a big drinker too and booze killed him (driving drunk).

As for me, I was always able to handle it, I competed in Ironman Triathlons for a number of years and managed to qualify for Kona 4 times with a pr of 9:26 in hawaii. During those years, I would say I was a fairly heavy drinker, I probably drank 2-5 beers 3-4 nights a week. One year, I didnt drink at all and I went slower....go figure.

Like anything, some people can handle it, some cant. I had a girlfriend that would eat candy like it was going out of style, she finished Ironman Canada in just under 11 hours which is pretty good.

Alcohol can affect your breathing and strength. My theory is all things in moderation are ok (except smoking and hard drugs....and steroids).

Feedback Score
    Heck I really enjoy a full bodied ale after a long bike ride. It goes down really well after a century. I’m not breaking any records, but it’s not bad for a guy that’s 48 with crappy blood.

I figure it’s great glycogen replacement. I have a theory on food. If it tastes better than normal after a work out your body really needs it.

Feedback Score
    Well heck. It's like almost everything else in life. How much? How often? Life is hazardous to our health and will kill us all in the end. If someone is training for "peak performance" for a specific event (I laugh at all the people who strive for "peak performance" as an everyday health status).

If I totally gave up everything that the "experts" claim will degrade my fitness (coffee, beer, red meat, etc) I would probably live longer but would hate every second of it.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Well heck. It's like almost everything else in life. How much? How often? Life is hazardous to our health and will kill us all in the end. If someone is training for "peak performance" for a specific event (I laugh at all the people who strive for "peak performance" as an everyday health status).

If I totally gave up everything that the "experts" claim will degrade my fitness (coffee, beer, red meat, etc) I would probably live longer but would hate every second of it.

I think this is a really good outlook to have. I was really hardcore for a while, now I have settled down and enjoy some of the finer things in life while still maintaining the same overall fintess level.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This will probably have everyone going bonkers but 6-7 years ago I swear that I read in one of the bodybuilding magazines where the diet of one of the top body builders at that time included a heavy dark beer in his post workout recovery supplementation. His reasoning was that the liquid carbs entered his system faster and help to facilitate recovery after his work outs. At least that is how I remembered the article.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    This will probably have everyone going bonkers but 6-7 years ago I swear that I read in one of the bodybuilding magazines where the diet of one of the top body builders at that time included a heavy dark beer in his post workout recovery supplementation. His reasoning was that the liquid carbs entered his system faster and help to facilitate recovery after his work outs. At least that is how I remembered the article.
    I have heard the same thing about the Tour De France riders after each day's stage. The calorie consumption or burn for those guys every day is astronimical, and I doubt a few drinks would have much if any effect on them.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score
    I'm a non-alcoholic regular drinker, when I am not deployed. I find beer to be a good recovery drink.

The problem with the phrase "maximize performance" is that when you are 47, have multiple multiples of physical problems, sometimes carbs and alcohol-based relaxation helps in relaxation and dulls some low-grade aches and pains.

Stating that alcohol damages just about every organ is panty-wetting of the first order, imo. Yes, it does, and so does living. No one can really measure the so-called damage that one beer a night does to the human body.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Stating that alcohol damages just about every organ is panty-wetting of the first order, imo. Yes, it does, and so does living. No one can really measure the so-called damage that one beer a night does to the human body.
    I agree with this post.

Something is eventually going to kill you and probably you will be sick first.

My grandmother never touched a drop of alcohol in her life and yet died of cirrhossis of the liver. I'm not making it up.

She was a Mormon and they do not drink.

On the other hand I had an uncle that smoked tobacco and drank whiskey and lived to be a blind wheelchair bound little old man.

So, you can live to 90 something like Jack La Lane and eat nothing but leaves and twigs.

Or you can enjoy life and accept the fact that you will eventually die.

Just don't overdo anything. Enjoy life and don't wring your hands in worry over whether this beer or that McDonald's hamburger is going to kill you.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 01-06-11 at 11:28.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I'm a non-alcoholic regular drinker, when I am not deployed. I find beer to be a good recovery drink.

The problem with the phrase "maximize performance" is that when you are 47, have multiple multiples of physical problems, sometimes carbs and alcohol-based relaxation helps in relaxation and dulls some low-grade aches and pains.

My hat is off to you, as this is also my view. Life is FAR too short to live an extremely spartan lifestyle and deprive yourself of some of the joys. We might as well stop F*&%ing because we might get an STD. As long as you are not drinking to the level where it effects your every day performance in fitness or work I really don't think one could be considered an alcohol abuser.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast