Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triangle handguards

Feedback Score

Triangle handguards

I've found a couple of places online that have the triangle handguards and will probably buy a set or two just to have them for when I'm ready to buy a 20" upper. They look great, somehow alluring beyond the simple desire to be different; the retro look doesn't just look good because it looks retro. It peaks my interest with a pair of questions: does anyone make them new now, and why was the change made other than just to have a new style?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    does anyone make them new now, and why was the change made other than just to have a new style?
    No one making new anymore, there are NOS for sale. I believe the new round version has better heat disapation.

Feedback Score
    The round handguard halves are the same there is no need to stock right and left sides. The old style are strangely appealing though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalMother556 View Post
    The round handguard halves are the same there is no need to stock right and left sides. The old style are strangely appealing though.

yes they are, just something about them, everyone likes them.

i sure like em on my 603 clone.

they feel great.

peabody
    i started this life with nothing.....kept most of it.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Keep your fingers away from the holes up top. Gas tubes are WICKED HOT.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalMother556 View Post
    +1

This was a big problem, many more left handguards were broken due to the fact than everyone laid their rifles down on the left side with the ejection port up. The A2 handguards are also more robust, the A1's are somewhat delicate. I like the feel of the A1's you can pretty much pick how thick you want your handguard to be.

Feedback Score
    I'll have a set of triangular handguards in about 10 days. I doubt i'll use them. I will try them out for a few days, but will likely go back to the plastic handguards, or i'll buy something new.

Feedback Score
    What, if any advantage does the A1 handguard offer over the A2 handguard?

Further more, is an A1 style rear sight more stable than an A2 style rear sight?

I tried to use the site's search function to find these questions or possibly some answers to them, but for some reason, it wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 12-08-10 at 20:58. Reason: Grammar/Spelling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
    What, if any advantage does the A1 handguard offer over the A2 handguard?

Further more, is an A1 style rear sight more stable than an A2 style rear sight?

I tried to use the site's search function to find these questions or possibly some answers to them, but for some reason, it wouldn't work.
    I'm wondering the same thing Panzer. The Colt MT6601C that i recently bought came with both A1 and A2 hand guards.

Whoever owned the rifle before me had decided to install the fiberglass hand guards that are of a triangular shape. But with the deal, i am also getting the Ribbed and round plastic hand guards.

So i too and wondering if i should stick with the Triangular set, or take them off and install the Plastic hand guards.

I'm guessing that the plastic guards are lighter then their fiberglass counterpart, but that may be incorrect.

I would probably sell the fiberglass hand guard if i end up not using it.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    My 2 cents would be to keep both sets. The A2 handguards are a better design and will last longer under hard use. You will not get much money selling them either. I would not pay more that $10-12 for a a used pair I think they are less than $20 new. The A1's look cool but I would not have them on a fighting gun.

I've been considering buying a midlength bbl for a Kino build to use with an A1 slick side upper I just bought. I saw a set of A1 handguards for sale that had been modified to fit a midlength and I thought it would be fun to have for a few retro photos. I would use A2or MOE handguards 99% of the time.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast