Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the AR. Reliability upgrades?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Simply stake the castle nut and gas key and call it good. Sure, you can upgrade the bolt and carrier, but you aren't planning on going into battle. Any upgrades on this DPMS (which is, in all sincerity, is at the bottom end of most all ARs) is simply blowing money for relatively no gain. If you're going to shoot it enough to break the bolt, you need a better rifle. Save the money you would have spent on upgrades for ammo or saving towards a new gun. Reworded, if you're not going to run it hard, "upgrades" aren't going to matter. If you are going to run it hard, that means you've got a big budget and therefore buying a new AR wouldn't be a monetary issue (and would be cheaper in the long run).

HOWEVER...

I did read your post, so don't think I'm regurgitating crap.

My first and foremost urging would be to sell it - NOT because it isn't good enough blah blah, but because if you do plan on upgrading in the future, you'll have to shell out the $1,000 - $1,200, whereas if you simply sell the gun now, you can get a tier 1 AR for ~$300 more. That specific model will net you about $600 - $700. If you can't save up $300-400 in the period of a few months, you probably don't have enough money to shoot the DPMS (or any AR) in the first place.

Understand - I'm NOT knocking the DPMS nor am I ignoring your post. I'm pointing out that you have a chance to make the best of the situation you're in with it. Once you've used your rifle or modified it, you've increased your future losses. This goes for ANY rifle (not just DPMS), so be sure you're willing to pay for those losses in the future.

If you do opt to sell it, either list it for a low price with no reserve, or list it in the EE. You'll get at least $500, probably closer to $650 out of the deal. Make sure to charge for shipping and you'll be $300-400 from getting an AR with the options YOU want.

The important thing to realize early on is that 5.56/.223 costs LOTS of money over time (unless you reload, which you might). If you plan on shooting more than 100 rounds per month (thats just 3 magazines), realize you'll be spending over $400 per year on ammo. The rifle is truly the cheapest investment in your arsenal. The ammo, training, and accessories will all add up to be more than the rifle itself. If you can afford to shoot it regularly, you need to upgrade your rifle (otherwise, upgrades like the BCG, LPK, Buffer, Buffer Spring, etc all become mandatory, and that's a $300 investment right there).
    Last edited by Skyyr; 12-21-10 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thermocafe View Post
    I'll play a little Devil's Advocate, if I be permitted:

-DocGKR

Please keep in mind that we have a Nation full of the latest-greatest, doohickey gizmos, and yet a vindictive homosexual committed an act of treason and in response we submit and repeal what he didn't like [DADT].

Please keep in mind that we have a Nation full of the latest-greatest, doohickey gizmos, and yet y'all cannot even say "Christmas" in many areas without attracting a vigorous response.

In the meantime, in the 1980's, Afghans with hundred-year-old Lee Enfields had the stones to stand up to the Reds - a world superpower at the time - and win.

Not intending to lecture, but seeing what is happening in the States makes me wish we would dedicate a little more time to "cultivating the warrior mindset" and not get too distracted with things that don't appear to be making a difference.

You got a DPMS? It seems that once you make the changes recommended in Rob_S' excellent post, it should be training and most importantly, rational thought, until you can get the better equipment.

If you have the stones to use that DPMS to save your life or defend your Rights, how do you suppose you'd compare to someone with a DD or other "tier one" rifle who meekly submits to an intrusion on his life, liberty or property?

Just some Devil's advocate...
    Said noble warriors wouldn't have gotten to where they were at without intel provided by doohickey gizmos, doohickey gizmos like the Stinger missile, and money provided by our weak (in your eyes) nation. Hell, they even got the Enfield rifles from us and after winning their noble, merrily proceeded right back into the Stone Age.

Silly analogy and not correct.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Said noble warriors wouldn't have gotten to where they were at without intel provided by doohickey gizmos, doohickey gizmos like the Stinger missile, and money provided by our weak (in your eyes) nation. Hell, they even got the Enfield rifles from us and after winning their noble, merrily proceeded right back into the Stone Age.

Agreed. All with the help of Senator Charlie Wilson to boot. He single handedly got political support, money and arms, refocused the CIA and other governmental agencies to help the Afgans win that war.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 12-21-10 at 15:43.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    Agreed. All with the help of Senator Charlie Wilson to boot. He single handedly got political support, money and arms, refocused the CIA and other governmental agencies to help the Afgans win that war.
    He played a big part that's for sure. One little correction though. Charlie Wilson was a US Representative not a Senator.

To the OP, most of the other posts have been spot on. Since it was a Christmas gift from your Father don't think about selling it. He'll be gone one day, hopefully a long time from now, and you'll pick that rifle up to take it to the range or wherever and be glad you have it! Make whatever upgrades you can to keep it running and then shoot the hell out of it until you can't keep it running period. Even then it'll still be worth the memories.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post

While I agree with what you're saying in principle, the Stinger did not bring down as many helicopters as simple old 14.5/12.7mm heavy machine guns. The quote that comes to mind is that helicopters are thousands uncooperative parts trying their damnest to come apart. Mind you it did more psychologically though, as the Soviets changed their tactics in light of it and the Afghans became more confident.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    OP,
    Along with the other suggestions posted here, I'd have the chamber hit with Ned Christiansen's excellent chamber reamer, if you know a gunsmith/AR owner in your AO that owns one.

Many DPMS, etc have tight chambers, which can lead to reliability issues down the road.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12