Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20'' or 25'' Axe?

Feedback Score

20'' or 25'' Axe?

I am getting ready to buy an Wetterlings axe. The axe will be used for camping and some canoeing. Mostly for cutting and splitting fire wood. Not much chopping of live trees. It will be carried in my pickup truck. A basic general purpose camp axe.

Will 20'' be enough? Or should I go with the 25"?

Feedback Score
    Unless you are very short, the 25" will be safer and easier on your back. If you have room for it, that's what I'd get.

I have an addiction to Gransfors-Bruks axes. It's almost as bad as black rifle disease. I do have one Wetterlings axe and have nothing bad to say about it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am no Axe expert by any means, but I use an Estwing as my behind-the-seat axe.
    http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...il.html?s=E45A

As far a size, I would definitely go with the 25" for a general purpose axe.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    I have the 20" Wetterlings. Its great because it can be used for smaller tasks as well as larger and its cheaper than G.B.
    BTW, Gransfors-Bruks bought S.A.Wetterlings quite a while ago, so they are virtually the same axe.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by huklbrry View Post
    I have the 20" Wetterlings. Its great because it can be used for smaller tasks as well as larger and its cheaper than G.B.
    BTW, Gransfors-Bruks bought S.A.Wetterlings quite a while ago, so they are virtually the same axe.
    I understand GB bought Wetterling but they are both two separate operations. I think I will go with the 25".

Thanks for all the input.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Short axes scare the crap out of me. I've seen too many seasoned and expereinced users short stroke...the result being a close call or a crash course in sutures.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it's for backpacking I'd go with a tomahawk instead of an axe. Much less hassle to carry around and just as capable for camp tasks.

If it's something to go in the back of your truck or to keep out at the cabin, then I'd consider a chainsaw first, supplemented with the 25 inch axe of course

Go with the 25 it with save you in the long run

Feedback Score
    I have the 20" Wetterlings and it has served me well. I also own a larger felling axe but I prefer the 20 for most tasks. I personally won't go under the 20", anything less than that I don't feel as comfortable with. It all depends on your intended use, if you want to pack it in then weight/bulk may be an issue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A 20" Wetterlings that I have done a fair bit of tuning to is my favourite axe.

However, I like it because I often pack it long distances.

For a truck axe the 25" is a better choice.

Incidentally I spent an 8 hour day doing nothing but chopping with that little Wetterlings a few years ago. By the end of the day my back was so tired that I got lazy and didn't stay bent at the waist while felling the last tree (a 60' redcedar).

Buried the bit in my kneecap with the first notch only about 15% done. How embarrassing! And then to have to spend a few hours getting to a town with somebody to make sure it would heal correctly...very annoying.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast