Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: #00 spread at room distance

Feedback Score
    A shotgun is not a rifle and never will be, no matter what modifications are made. It will still have too much recoil, too little accuracy and too little capacity. It is NOT shot the same as a rifle either, despite the fact that both are shoulder fired. This is a common error made by people who then complain that their shotgun cannot perform as well as an M4 as their M4 can.

What a shotgun can do well is hit moving targets quickly at short range and do so with a lot of force...unless you tighten the choke to the point you are shooting a slug, put rifle sights, pistol grip stocks, etc to the point that it can no longer be shot as a shotgun should be.

Personally, I disagree that a shotgun is a versatile weapon. I tend to think that it is a very specialized weapon that performs a few tasks well and fails miserably at others.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Various types of slugs, flachette, non-lethal, buckshot....seems pretty versatile to me. Granted, it is only useful in short ranges, but it can perform many functions within this range.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Why do you want to turn a shotgun into a poor excuse for a rifle with tight shooting Vang-mods, TAP or Flite-Control?
    I don't know that that is absolutely the case. If it is a duty weapon, the shotgun may be the only long gun available. In some localities, an AR or rifle may not be legal while a shotgun would be. For some, money considerations may dictate that a shotgun be used, at least until a carbine can be purchased.
    Additionally, errant pellets are a liability. In situations that require taking a shot at longer ranges tight patterns are a desirable feature.
    A rifle will dominate a shotgun outside of 20 yards.
    5.56 and .308 are at least as effective as fight stoppers inside 20 yards.
    I don't think anybody has said otherwise; in general a carbine is going to be preferrable to a carbine if the choice can be made. However if armor isn't an issue 556A2 said this in another thread: "From a pure wound trauma standpoint on a shot against unarmored soft tissue, a close range hit from a 12 ga shotgun using buckshot will create more damage than any 5.56 mm projectile; it is for this reason that Dr. Fackler has expressed his preference for 12 ga buckshot over 5.56 mm for close range defensive use."
    The main advantage a shotgun has over a rifle is a greater hit percentage (especially on moving targets in poor light) inside 20 yards.
    By chasing ever and ever tighter groups you negate the main advantage a shotgun has.
    I specifically chose the Olin 9 pellet Military load for its spread at 10-15 yards to maximize that hit potential yet still be a small enough pattern to ensure the minimum number of strays.
    By saying "The main advantage" etc, you are actually saying that that is your interpretation of what the main advantage is. Others may see that spread as anything but an advantage.
    For you, in your case that may very well be the main advantage and I completely understand your position and don't disagree with it. If the wider spread is what you want, then yes it would be the main advantage. For others the opposite is desirable and the amount of damage done by multiple projos striking in a very small area is the main advantage. Keeping that pattern as small as possible as it moves downrange in a litigious environment could be a requirement for the shooter and possibly even more advantageous.
    Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoTex View Post
    No, by chasing ever and ever tighter groups we're negating the main liabilities a shotgun has: pellets not hitting the target, and extending it's effective range.

My goal is to dump all the energy my scattergun has into the target, not waste 7/9s or 8/9s of it because I was too lazy to learn how to shoot properly.
    Are you really negating the liability of misses?
    Let's look at it this way.
    If I only hit the target with 5/9 pellets because I miss my target by 6" with a 10" spread that's 4 stray pellets.
    If you miss your target by 6" and your spread is 4", you just sent 7 or 8 pellets downrange unaccounted for.

As to extending the effective range. #00 looses steam very quickly no matter what sized pattern you send downrange. Once the round sheds enough energy it doesn't really matter if 3 pellets hit the target or 6 do.

As to learning to shoot properly.
    I've watched hundreds of shooters come through shotgun and carbine classes as well as 3-gun matches.
    NONE of them were capable of 100% hits on a moving target on demand with no warmup. Even with Vang, Flite-Control, TAP, or their favorite RDS equipped AR. Add in life or death stress and 100% hits just isn't very likely.

Feedback Score
    A quote I often see re: shotguns.
    "At typical room distance a shotgun has very little spread, so there's no hit percentage advantage over a rifle."

Benelli Nova 18.5"
    Winchester "Military Grade" 9 pellet #00 Buckshot
    12 yards (distance from my hallway to the front door, across the living room).

I'd sell the gun, change ammo, or both.......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    I'd sell the gun, change ammo, or both.......
    Why's that?
    Because it looks like a shotgun pattern instead of a slow fire rifle target?
    Please elaborate on exactly what role you think the shotgun plays and the optimum ammunition for that role.

Feedback Score
    As said earlier in the post, the Winchester/Olin "Military" Buckshot is one of the worst patterning shells on the market, and is just Winchester Super-X 00 buckshot with a green hull.

(From L to R: Win Super-X, Win Military, Fed Vital-Shok)

FWIW, the reason I use tight patterning buckshot is because I cannot afford a single .32 caliber pellet missing my target. I use Federal Vital-Shok without the FCW which gives be a 4" pattern at the same range.

Feedback Score
    Why's that?
    Because it looks like a shotgun pattern instead of a slow fire rifle target?
    Please elaborate on exactly what role you think the shotgun plays and the optimum ammunition for that role.
    No...it looks like a shitty shotgun pattern.

At 12 yards I still want the option to take a shot where that pattern could be a liability.

Feedback Score
    I can understand the thought regarding the super tight pattern if the shotgun is all that is available to an individual. Unforunately the tight chokes, at least as far as I am aware, preclude most less lethal uses. Flechettes are very specialized and are essentially the same tool as buck with better penetration.

I also think that that individual would be better off setting the gun up for slug useage and treating it like a rifle, albeit a poor one unless bears are the primary threat. However, any slug useage forces the shotgun outside of its area of specialty and is a stopgap measure. I understand accurate slugs abound these days but they still pale in comparison to a dedicated rifle. The sights necessary for good slug useage considerably slow the dedicated buck shooter.

Again, I see a strong suit for the shotgun and it is fast, reactionary shots inside a structure or at short range. I also agree with JodyH about the likelihood of a complete miss on a moving target as opposed to a stray pellet being the primary liability.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Are you really negating the liability of misses?
    Let's look at it this way.
    If I only hit the target with 5/9 pellets because I miss my target by 6" with a 10" spread that's 4 stray pellets.
    If you miss your target by 6" and your spread is 4", you just sent 7 or 8 pellets downrange unaccounted for.
    Nothing erases the liability of flat-out missing. The difference is that your rig involves almost always missing even when you hit. That's simply unacceptable to me.

As to extending the effective range. #00 looses steam very quickly no matter what sized pattern you send downrange. Once the round sheds enough energy it doesn't really matter if 3 pellets hit the target or 6 do.
    We're talking about the difference between 20 and 40 yards here, 50 max. 00 has plenty of juice left over at 50yds and any way you cut it, more hits are better than fewer hits.

For others the opposite is desirable and the amount of damage done by multiple projos striking in a very small area is the main advantage. Keeping that pattern as small as possible as it moves downrange in a litigious environment could be a requirement for the shooter and possibly even more advantageous.
    This is me and my attitude towards the shotgun in a nutshell.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast