Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta M9 opinions

Feedback Score

Beretta M9 opinions

A friend of mine has a Beretta 92FS that I've fired a few times. I liked the way it shot and it fit my hand nicely, so I put a Beretta M9 (civilian edition) on layaway at the local Sportsman's Warehouse.

This will be primarily a range plinker, with possibly a backup HD role (I use a Remington 870 for that purpose).

Mine won't be subjected to any hard use or adverse conditions, but I've heard a lot of negative publicity on the M9 in military use, especially in desert conditions. Is it really that much of a POS in Iraq/Afghanistan?

Feedback Score
    I have a buddy that was issued an M9 over in Iraq. He told me his M9 was a "piece of shit".

I asked him why. He didn't know why, he had just heard from people that it was. I asked him how many rounds he had through it, he said probably 500 or so. I asked him if he ever had a failure, he said no.

I think 75% of the negative M9 opinions are from the same guys who think no matter what they're issued, it's not good enough
    . Kind of like a Marine I know who tried telling me how awesome the XM8 was, even though he told me his M16 never failed during a gunfight. He also went on to tell me that I didn't know shit because I'm not military, and that the XM8 was going to be issued to them before 2007.

The M16 sucks, the AK is what we should have. The M4 sucks, but the XM8 is the best choice. The M9 sucks, we should be carrying HK USP's. The SR25 sucks, we should have PSG-1's. I don't know what Mk262 is, but US MIL ammo sucks and we should have hollow points (what the hell are grains?). I could go on and on.

Case in point, the 92FS is an excellent handgun provided you have good mags. I wouldn't hesitate to trust a Beretta 92 with my (non MIL/LE) life.
    The luxury of freedom was not free.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I can't comment on military M9 that are old, worn out, mistreated, abused with low bid magazines. I can comment on the four Berettas that I've owned througout the years. All are the G variant, two Vertecs, one SD and a Centurion. I put at least two thousand rounds through the SD, a few hundred through one Vertec (which I later sold to a friend). The other Vertec and the Centurion each has over three thousand rounds through them. I've had zero malfunction and all these guns were more accurate than I can shoot them. Kept clean and lubed, using factory magazines (or Meggar mags), these guns will run forever. They're not small guns but as a full size service weapon, they're as reliable and sturdy as Sigs, Glocks or S&W.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I saw you posted your question on more than one forum (Hey I've done the same) but I think I'll answer here since I think it's a little more comfortable forum to collect info from.

I've owned and shot several Beretta 92's for a number of years now right along with other manufacturer's guns. I never had any problem with one that I owned. I think most of the problems I see commented on across the net revolve around locking blocks cracking and magazine issues. I think the magazines were check mate contract magazines that were military issue and if I'm not mistaken replacing the springs with Wolff or ISMI seems to take care of the problems there.

Now problems I have seen with them in Law Enforcement related experience have been the same recurring thing over and over since the early 90's right up to the last qual course I ran this year. Of all the handguns on the line the ones that do seem to exhibit problems out of Glock, HK, Sig, 1911's, etc. are the Beretta 92's. However...This has routinely been because of a lack of any lubrication whatsoever on the guns. In each and every case I've been near when the slides were pulled off and the guns checked they were dry as a bone. The addition of some Rem oil or Slip 2000 on the rails and the pistols ran like champs.

I'd like to footnote my experiences above by also saying that it was also always the same individual co workers using the same Berettas year after year that had the lubrication problems. Isn't it funny how that plays out?

I don't know if my next comment matters in your decision at any point in the future but the Beretta M9/92 is the slickest platform I've used with a suppressor. I really love my gun with it's can on it. I may not shoot it all that much anymore opposed to my Sig's and Glocks but it'd be the last one to go if I had to sell some items. Beretta 92 + AAC Quick detach can = Awesome.

One other thing I did to my gun was to switch out the factory mainspring for a factory "D" spring. Which lightens the DA pull while keeping it reliable. A good upgrade in my opinion.

So...invest in good quality magazines (Beretta or Mec Gar) or good springs (Wolff or ISMI) and add a little lube and you'll be very happy with your pistol I believe.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When are guys get these M9s they've beat to hell in back from being issued before. If you don't take care of something of course its going to be a POS. If you like get it. Just clean it and do the maint. as need.
    Dead men tell no tales!

Feedback Score
    I have 3 Berettas: a 92FS Enduring Freedom model, a 92G Vertec, a 92FS Compact L Type M. I think they are fine pistols, and very accurate. I've never had a malfunction with any of my Berettas. I've never used them in harsh conditions. I told one of our engineers at work the other day when he asked me about a 92FS, that as far as accuracy, that would be the pistol I would shoot if I wanted to show off. I shoot them very well; they are very accurate.

If you like the way it fits in your hand and how it shoots, I would say get it. Those are two of the most important factors to consider in a purchase.
    John 8:32 (KJV) And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any firearms with me. I said, "Well, what do you need?" -- Stephen Wright

Feedback Score
    This is the particular model I'm getting. The gun's nice but they didn't invest a lot on the packaging

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    This is the particular model I'm getting. The gun's nice but they didn't invest a lot on the packaging

Ain't it the truth!
    John 8:32 (KJV) And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any firearms with me. I said, "Well, what do you need?" -- Stephen Wright

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Chicks don't dig a fancy plastic box so BerettaUSA just gives the M9 a cardboard and paper box.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Out of curiosity, how are M9's received by the military from Beretta? Cardboard box/barrier bag type packaging?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast