Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with DMR type build.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Since you are on a budget here is my recommendation:

Get a mid grade barrel (mostly price wise) like a WOA. Buy a BCM complete upper receiver ($100 or so), BCM BCG and CH.

As for the rail you definitely want to go FF, and I would scour the web for a quality used FF tube. I actually have a used KAC FF RAS on my Mk12 build I got ahold of when I was building that upper. I would call either ADCO or Gun Gallery in Jax, FL, and see if they have a quality used tube that will work. Gun Gallery in FL built my upper, and when I asked about the KAC FF RAS, Neil, the owner, said they had a used but like new rail for about half the price of brand new. Even with top notch parts I ended up well below 1k for the upper, and since I bought the rail from Gun Gallery they did the assembly on the upper for free. I just had to ship them the parts sans the rail which they had.

I would not get irons until you can afford them since the glass is the primary optic, and most important.

Speaking of the glass I would really try to bump up that top end magnification to 5 or 6. Over the last 8 months Ive really been concentrating on improving my long range shooting, and Ive shot long range with a 4X ACOG, 1-4X Short Dot, and 3-12X50 Schmidt and Bender PMII USMC scope. My Short Dot is on my 308 semi auto right now, and I do shoot it out to 750 on a weekly basis. However its WAY easier to shoot past 500 with a scope with higher magnification.

I think even 4X is capable of basically torso area hits at 600 it just doesn't have the power to do much more than put the reticle on the target, and have a general aiming point.

Feedback Score
    For the optic I would recomend the Burris TAC30 1-4x23. Unlike the leupold it is true 1x at the lowest power setting and has a BDC reticle for 55 gr. 5.56 at 3250 FPS out to 600 yards. I am very pleased with mine. They are $300 as well.

Last edited by legumeofterror; 01-10-11 at 14:40.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12