Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Fans Of The Taurus PT1911?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfltackdriver View Post
    I don't agree in any way shape or form that you have to spend more than $1,000 to have a good, reliable 1911. I wouldn't buy another Taurus, though. I feel I got very lucky.
    1911's that are under $2k I FULL of MIM parts. These break. It may happen in the first 100rds or might happen at the 10K mark. Hard to say. The fact still remains that hard used 1911 SHOULD have as few MIM parts as possible.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    1911's that are under $2k I FULL of MIM parts. These break. It may happen in the first 100rds or might happen at the 10K mark. Hard to say. The fact still remains that hard used 1911 SHOULD have as few MIM parts as possible.

C4
    I have Rock Rivers, Baers, and even Dan Wessons that I spent well under $2k for and they have no MIM. I may be mistaken, but I believe Colt stopped using or greatly reduced the amount of MIM that they use.

Feedback Score
    Not impressed with the one I examined/shot.

So, no, not a fan.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

C4
    There are many quality 1911's without MIM parts under the 2k mark. I think the best bargian is a les baer TRS for about 1800$ or a Les Baer Custom Carry for 1600$

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

C4
    Do Colts and Springfields have lots of MIM parts? Specifically the Colt Combat Commander (Wiley Clap Edition) and the Springfield Loaded?
    Tu ne cede malis
    http://mises.org

"Cheer up Jim. Thank God we don’t get as much government as we pay for!"
    -Charles Kettering

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Do Colts and Springfields have lots of MIM parts? Specifically the Colt Combat Commander (Wiley Clap Edition) and the Springfield Loaded?

Springfield's do. The hammer, sear, and disconnector.

Easily replaceable with many quality parts like Wilson, Vickers, Ed Brown, etc....

Although, I never changed out the MIM parts on my Springfield MC Operator and I shot the hell out of that and used it in several high count classes and never had any issues.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Went to the range today with 300 rds. of Win. wb. Took my PT 1911, mim parts and all, along with the mags from my son's PT. Four Taurus PT 1911 mags in all and the guns were bought from two different dealers. 1280 rds on my PT before putting all 300 rds through, today. 100 rds at 50yds, 100 rds at 25yds, and two short rapid fire sessions (four full mags, twice) at seven yds. The rest I just pissed around with at 7yds with a couple of people and one of the range masters. Range master thought the gun felt solid. I was pleased when he shot out the whole top of the bullseye with eight shots, about an inch.5 group. Not as pleased as he was though since he does not shoot a .45 much, or so he says. Anyway, not one single hiccup, even when the guy's wife beside me shot four rds (they were shooting a Ruger SR9 I believe). I have not had the followers out of the mags on either gun since new. 1580 rds. is not much, but it is 1580 without a single failure of any kind, even when other people have shot it. Son's PT only has about 80 rds. on it, but it has not shown any "new gun" characteristics, and no failures.

If you don't want mim parts, then there are several nice 1911's you are going to have to take off your list, unless you replace the mim parts. Some people don't agree and that is ok, but I do not fix things that aren't broke.
    Last edited by 300WM; 12-12-10 at 01:26.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The whole MIM thing doesn't really bother me as long as you know what the pistol contains and if it has a fair price point. I am not sure why, probably marketing, that there are guns on the market that have a ton of MIM yet demand high prices. On the other hand, quite a few respected "modern" pistols contain MIM parts and have good track records.

My experience has been better with MIM than machined steel components but I will say that there were obvious flaws in the failed parts. The issue, just like AR parts, is the questionable quality of the parts from some of these manufacturers. Taurus is not know as having high quality parts in their guns and nobody on a professional level recommends them. This is not because they are gun snobs but because they have experience with guns breaking.

Harrell if you are happy with your Taurus then I wish you the best but until I personally see better quality from the guns then I will stick with what I have. I won't go as far as saying that you got a good deal but I will say that you probably got what you paid for.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfltackdriver View Post
    Pros:
    I got one when they first came out. It had the best out-of-the-box trigger on any of the 1911 pistols I've owned. It shot as well as I am capable. Over 5,000 rounds or so, it proved to be extremely reliable. I had no parts failures. It would only jam up when it was very dirty.

Cons:
    Mine came out of the factory with a defective barrel. Their QC is notoriously bad and so is their customer service. I waited two months to get the gun back after I sent it to them for a new barrel. The finish was the worst on any pistol I've ever owned. I also no longer own it, which means that in the long run, it still didn't make the cut.

I don't agree in any way shape or form that you have to spend more than $1,000 to have a good, reliable 1911. I wouldn't buy another Taurus, though. I feel I got very lucky.
    I disagree with you. I think you really must spend that much or more. I have a friend that is a 1911 gunsmith and even with him working for free it would cost more than 1000$ to even put one together with good parts.

The 1911 is very unlike the AK47. The 1911 takes a ton of hand fitting work to make it a reliable and accurate weapon. The AK47 is on the other side of that spectrum

I went to a GSSF match that was pretty big in Atlanta, GA. Only one guy had a malfunction... He went to the glock armorer and had a bad part. It was replaced and he was 100% all day. Hundereds of people with many different caliber Glocks were here that day.

I went to a CDP class IDPA match in the same city and almost every 1911 had at least one malfunction, and every 1911 guy had mags that cost alot of cash. My friends 1911 was the only one that did not have problems. That is not hard to comprehend because his dad and grandfather were 1911 gunsmiths. He better know what he is doing... LOL....

I love 1911s, they are amazing! DO NOT CHEAP OUT! YOU WILL BE SORRY! Start with a springfield loaded and you will be happy. Even new it might need work or just personal touches. 100% of the 1911 is customizable and everyone prefers different things.
    Last edited by fhpchris; 12-12-10 at 02:57.
    USMC vet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh hell, I love Taurus 1911s. I use them as door stops and boat anchors - they are great!
    Last edited by ShipWreck; 12-12-10 at 07:57.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast