Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Excuses" for not carrying

Feedback Score

"Excuses" for not carrying

Gents,
    In the process of getting approval to "teach" CCL for the state. Not a whole lot of teaching based on the way the course is mandated, but I do want to impart upon the participants the importance of carrying (if in location/ time allowed to do so).
    I have heard through the years from people that they "carry" and have their CCL/CCW but know that they do not carry on a consistent basis. In the last 12 years I as well have been inconsistent at times, but have straightened out my thinking. In an effort to convince those that have the license to actually carry I can easily come up with the "this is why you should" reasons. I can also come up with a few excuses that people use, but would like some input from the forum CCW/CCL members. Discounting the legit reasons why you may not (e.g. work on a federal installation, prohibited place, consuming alcohol etc) please throw out some HONEST feedback as to:

Why did you leave your house without your CCW firearm in the past?
    My poor past excuses (being honest) have ranged from just didnt take the time to put my belt on, thinking "Im only running out to x for a minute", to having to change clothes to cover the gun. Again, all lame excuses and potentially risking life and health. The purpose is to ID these to the students and provide examples to them.
    Thanks for the help

Feedback Score
    Honestly, I only leave the house unarmed to go to work (I commute to DC). If I'm going to a neighbor's house for a few drinks on the weekend, I can get by without. Most of the people I hang out with on the weekends are LEO's, so I'm g2g. Aside from that, I leave the house armed. If I'm going someplace where I can't carry, I ensure the weapon is secured in my vehicle. I really can't think of a good "excuse" not to carry if it's legal to do so...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll fess up:

I'm just taking the dog out to pee. It's just down the stairs.

I don't feel like putting on pants and a belt

I don't feel like putting up w/my inlaws (they know I carry and are kind of anti.....except for my brother in law)

I'm just going to get the mail.

......me thinks it may be time to buy a pocket pistol
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ---
    If not me, then who?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't make excuses for not carrying...it's a pain, and one that I don't feel the need to routinely endure in the particular area where I live. I look at it from the opposite standpoint - "do I need to carry for this particular situation"? The answer is usually "no".

Feedback Score
    When I get in my truck I put on my seatbelt out of habit, not because I plan on driving recklessly or because I am driving in a hazardous area, but because I cannot predict when I may be in an accident. I carry a concealed weapon off duty any time I leave the house for any reason. I carry with the similar mindset I have about seatbelts. I put it on hoping I will not have to use it but knowing I have it just in case something unavoidable happens to me or my family. I cannot predict where or when that may happen.

Feedback Score
    I always carry, always.....except the other day I was in a rush and ran out of the house, hopped in the car, got half way down the block and said SHIT! I left my ****ing gun in the house! I did a 180 turn and went back to retrieve it. I never felt so "exposed".
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Giraffe View Post
    I'm just going to get the mail.

......me thinks it may be time to buy a pocket pistol

I had to shoot a pit bull/mutt mix in my driveway one morning. Needless to say, I don't even go out to the mailbox now without at least sticking a gun in my pocket first.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I generally always have a gun in the car. Whether I carry with me from there depends on the situation and where I'm going. In OH we still have some ludacris laws that restrict carry at restaraunts that serve alcohol, techinically not even allowed to have them in your car on said premise.

Feedback Score

Always

I always carry, even in places you're not supposed to because it's concealed carry and the only way anyone will know I'm carrying is if I need to use my weapon and then I'll take the heat after but at least I took responsiblity for myself and my family.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    I always carry, always.....except the other day I was in a rush and ran out of the house, hopped in the car, got half way down the block and said SHIT! I left my ****ing gun in the house! I did a 180 turn and went back to retrieve it. I never felt so "exposed".

My friend I know your a good guy, but you and many of the others who possess this attitude here simply need to get a grip. I somehow survive every moment of the day without a firearm attached to my person in an area well known to be a bit rough around the edges.

Yet here not only can you actually go to the store unarmed, you can also actually arrive home and arrive there safely. Plus I would never want to feel so dependent on a firearm to feel safe in public.

Unless I lived in neighboring Philly or Camden, that is.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast