Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Excuses" for not carrying

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    My friend I know your a good guy, but you and many of the others who possess this attitude here simply need to get a grip. I somehow survive every moment of the day without a firearm attached to my person in an area well known to be a bit rough around the edges.

Yet here not only can you actually go to the store unarmed, you can also actually arrive home and arrive there safely. Plus I would never want to feel so dependent on a firearm to feel safe in public.

Unless I lived in neighboring Philly or Camden, that is.
    I hear you. I didn't mean to come off as a paranoid. I'm pretty good in martial arts but I'm spoiled by the convenience of having a firearm on my person to put a BG or 2 or 3 down, without breaking a sweat. If and when that day comes, I want total and complete dominance of the situation.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 12-10-10 at 17:01.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    techinically not even allowed to have them in your car on said premise.
    That is incorrect.

Whoever told you that doesn't know what he is talking about.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    but you and many of the others who possess this attitude here simply need to get a grip.
    No, we do not need to get a grip.

We don't even need your advice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    deleted
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 12-10-10 at 18:51.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

paranoid? no.. i know those violent home invasions are statistically rare, but they do happen. i know armed confrontation on the street is rare, but it still happens. if it ever happens to me, i WILL be prepared. i will not have decided to leave my pistol under my bench seat when i walked up to the ATM. i will not have decided to lock up my carbine and/or pistol when thugs kick in my front door. i will not have decided that a quick trip to the store for milk in broad daylight doesn't require a firearm, and get car-jacked and shot for complying.

i never have to "decide" if a gun is "necessary" or appropriate. just like i never have to decide if i should wear a seatbelt. and just like i never have to decide if i should put my boots on in the morning.

it's a constant.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don't carry often, except on the weekends, but that's only because it's not allowed to carry, or even bring my weapon on base. Well, I could register it with PMO, but since I don't live on-base I'm not going to do that.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The question of "excuse" is based on a wrong premise. Decision to carry is an individual choice, and so is decision how often to carry. As you can see from replies above, some take probabilistic approach and don't carry at all times - and, while this can be critiqued on some level, there is no real hard evidence that such practice is wrong or leads to bad outcomes. Some take "I don't know when SHTF is going to happen", and carry all day every day - and, while this might make sense to many, there is no data to prove this is a better practice.

With that in mind, I wouldn't do this:

Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianTactical View Post
    I do want to impart upon the participants the importance of carrying (if in location/ time allowed to do so).
    If they are already in the class, they have made their decision, and you honestly have neither evidence nor moral backing to tell them how they should exercise their right to carry. You can give them your advice, but what's your advice is based on? If you have verified instances where CCW holders got caught in bad situations unarmed and truly bad things happened to them, that would be your best bet. Other than that, your advice would be based on what makes sense to you - and, as I already noted, what makes sense to you may not make sense to others, which means you may potentially alienate some of your students.

I would personally try to "impart upon the participants the importance of" professional instruction and achievment of considerable proficiency should they choose to carry, full time or otherwise, especially if state mandates "not whole lot of teaching" to get CCW permit.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My friend I know your a good guy, but you and many of the others who possess this attitude here simply need to get a grip. I somehow survive every moment of the day without a firearm attached to my person in an area well known to be a bit rough around the edges.

Yet here not only can you actually go to the store unarmed, you can also actually arrive home and arrive there safely. Plus I would never want to feel so dependent on a firearm to feel safe in public.

Unless I lived in neighboring Philly or Camden, that is.
    hahaha, this is a joke, right?
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score

Really...

Ok, either it's a joke or you really need to rethink your attitude towards life in general. If you live your life oblivious to things around you(condition white) you are like the 95% of the sheeple in this country. Have I ever needed my gun? Nope and I hope I never do but neither did the people in Luby's Cafateria or the doctor who is the lone survivor of a break in that killed his whole family. You don't have to be paranoid and stay at home...you stay aware of your surroundings and are prepared to take care of yourself and your family. It's not always gonna be with a gun thats why I study Krav Maga. You are responsible for your survival...don't count on the kindness of strangers.

Stay safe...Lucke

VMI-MO Guest
    Not carrying a gun does not make you a "sheeple". Carrying a gun does not automatically make you a "sheep dog". Most people who claim to be "sheep dogs" arent.

Not leaving home without it, that is up to you. For me, if I dont have my ghetto blaster (5% of the time), owell. I am not going to spazz out and feel insecure.

To the original topic, if you want people to do something, relate not doing to incompetence or being lazy. Those are good motivators.

PJ

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast