Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Responders-what do you EDC?

Feedback Score

First Responders-what do you EDC?

This isn't about First Aid or Trauma bags. It's about what, if anything do you carry on your person every day. I'm a POC FF/Medical First Responder in a rural county. I've got First Aid kits in all our vehicles and a pretty complete trauma bag that goes in whatever vehicle I'm driving. None of those are going to be with me at the store, in church or out socializing. Again, that is not what this thread is about.
    I carry a pair of nitrile gloves and a barrier mask plus a few Band Aids in a glove pouch on my belt. It's plain and discrete and can go with anything from my jeans to a nice suit. I also have at least 2 lights, a Photon LED on my neck knife chain and another light (Surefire, Fenix or even a mini mag) clipped to a pocket or in a light holder.
    I'm curious what the rest of you might have with you on a day to day basis. There is a ton more stuff that might come in handy but most of us are not going to lug around a bigger pouch when we are off duty. So what do you all EDC?

Feedback Score
    I will leave out the weapons as im sure that you are more interested in the medical gear.

I carry nothing on my person except for the occasional pair of nitrile gloves.

Feedback Score
    nothing on my person other than a pair of nitrile gloves. and aside from my trauma bag, my EDC bag has bandaids, etc in it. simple stuff.

Feedback Score
    @Ninjamedic-yes, this is not a discussion of "what has he got in his pocketses". Weapons are a whole different topic.
    It sounds like we are on the same page with a pair of gloves and perhaps a light source. I am always on the look out for something I might be missing that is so simple an idea one goes "why didn't I think of having that?" I like to have a Band Aid or two along. They mostly get used on me but they are nice to have to offer to someone who has sprung a minor leak. Anyone else?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I wore Vertx pants/shorts most of this year for work and play. I found the inner pockets of the cargo pockets ideal to hold a SWAT-T, primed gauze, ADC cpr shield, 3 or 4 bandaids, wipes and a pair of gloves. Sounds like a lot but you don't notice it in the inner pockets and you have the ability to do a lot with a little. I just checked and I have 4 bandaids, 2 alcohol wipes, a PAWS wipe and a face shield in the SWAT-T bag with the TQ. About the size of a deck of cards. The primed and gloves go in the other pocket and are unnoticeable in regards to weight.

Don't carry anything with jeans/dress pants.

Spence

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    On my person: Knife, light, pair of gloves. Everything else I'm apt to need can be found on the patient, on me, or improvised in the environment until EMS/FD/PD arrives.

In my vehicle/BOB: FAK/BOK, and larger aid bags.
    Last edited by ST911; 12-12-10 at 20:25.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by appliance brad View Post
    @Ninjamedic-yes, this is not a discussion of "what has he got in his pocketses". Weapons are a whole different topic.
    It sounds like we are on the same page with a pair of gloves and perhaps a light source. I am always on the look out for something I might be missing that is so simple an idea one goes "why didn't I think of having that?" I like to have a Band Aid or two along. They mostly get used on me but they are nice to have to offer to someone who has sprung a minor leak. Anyone else?
    Disclaimer: I am not any sort of medical personnel but I have a good friend from here, who is former medical. His suggestion was to have a BLUE LED like a SOLED from Countycomm or some place, so you can see blood more easily on an injured person, in the dark.

The Photon/SOLEDs are more than small enough to EDC. And the SOLED ones come with a little clip that will mount on a cap brim for hands free use.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Surefire pen, Light, and once in a while gloves, but its rare. My bag sits in my truck between the seats. My wife knows where it is, my kids will when they are old enough, my friends have all seen it etc. They could start that way while I started an assessment or compressions or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLYDYNAMIC View Post
    That is frozen Vodka.................... they were out of the "on the rocks".....................

Feedback Score
    The real reason for my posing the question is to show that most people get way too hung up on what to lug around with them. I see posts all the time about hauling BOK's, hemostatics, TQ's, decompression needles and tampons.

If you have gloves, you can likely improvise a pressure dressing or even a TQ. However you most likely won't need to carry much more. Even CPR barrier masks probably are not needed with the current emphasis on compressions and not on breaths. I think we become much to hung up on gear and not so much on skills. If the medics here see fit to go light on equipment, the typical person with a 3 hour first aid class behind them probably needs a lot less in stuff.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I used to carry quite a bit of stuff in my pockets. Now its pretty much just gloves, emt shears, tape, Oakleys, and a Izula knife.
    West Texas

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast