Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Responders-what do you EDC?

Feedback Score
    Spoon, how's the Izula working for you? I've thought they would make a great EDC.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dont forget the Vicks for the UTIs, Decub Ulcers, Piss, Shit, and Decomposing matter.

I always have a Vicks inhaler, pen light, knife, and occasionally flattened out coband and nitrile gloves if I was on shift previously.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As a paid county paramedic, I don't really mettle too much in scenes while off-duty...too much liability, even given the "good samaritan" laws.

However, if I see something that is truly life threatening (provided I'm in my vehicle) this is what I have readily available:

knife
    trauma shears
    fire extinguisher
    CPR shield
    trauma dressings

And the most important item:
    CELL PHONE

I consider anything other than BASIC first aid to be over the top and not worth the potential legal hassle. There are a lot of truly grateful people in this world who would shake your hand for saving their lives in a time of need...but its the handful of assholes who would sue your *** in a heartbeat over a valiant, yet failed attempt at something more that I worry about. With that in mind, you'll never see a red light on my dashboard, a red line on my bumper, or a star of life decal on my rear window.

My advice to every FR, volunteer EMT and the like:

Don't be gung ho...do what is necessary and call the proper authorities.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    As a paramedic myself, I just carry pretty much what others carry in their pockets...Minus gloves, which are in my bag.

I have a "BLS" bag in my truck. My most important tool for me is having my cell phone available. Off duty I keep it basic. My bag is stocked up with the basic stuff such as airway adjuncts, a BVM, and seperate face mask (if needed) for supporting the "A" of the ABC's. Then the rest is various bandaging/guaze/pads dedicated to stopping or controlling major bleeding as in a trauma situation.

My main concern being off-duty, is supporting the airway and breathing, circulation (chest compressions obviously) and addressing major bleeding till help arrives.

Going any more advanced than that on my off time just brings in a whole new set of circumstances and concerns...and in todays world liability.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Being a Volunteer Firefighter and EMT, pretty much the only thing I carry everyday is a small streamlight pen flashlight, kershaw knife, and swiss army knife. Pretty much everything else is in my truck which is my first aid kit, rescue hammer, and gear bag of bunker gear and wildland fire gear.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I searched the forum and found this to have EDC tagged, so I'll post here:

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and getting this ITS EDC Trauma Kit.
    What sold me is the SWAT-T Tourniquet / Pressure Bandage combo.
    I see more serious folks carry a CAT tourniquet, but for EDC, its kinda off for me.

Is there a better kit for EDC? My "spidey-sense" is tingling, hence, I better ask here first.
    Thanks.

Again, this is for EDC.
    Last edited by Ledanek; 02-15-13 at 12:15.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    A pair of gloves and a knife. My smart phone has a flashlight app for checking pupils i there is not enough overhead light to do the hand shadow.

For you guys carrying a breathing barrier. I under no circumstances am going to tell you what to do but would suggest that you check up on new protocols for your locality.

Understanding that studies change on a weekly basis current training for us in CT shows that continuous rapid and effective compressions are far more effective than providing compressions pause manipulate airway then breathing unless you have a second person available and have a viable airway established.

The lungs will hold enough usable 02 for you to do compressions for quite some time until ALS arrives and can drop an et tube. If you are giving rescue breaths and do not manipulate the airway well enough you fill the stomach and get puked on making it significantly more difficult to drop the tube as well as increase the chance of the patient aspirating the vomit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you use up the reserve capacity of the blood and lungs in CPR, it is pretty much too late anyways.

I don't carry anything on me day to day, but have a pretty decent trauma/med kit in my car. Nothing beyond BLS and some and nice set of meds for personal/family use (epi etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn Mcarthy
    I actually don't know what a barrel shroud is- I believe it's the shoulder thing that goes up
    Quote Originally Posted by Serialmonagamist
    There's no need to shoot a bear over a bluff charge, for the same reason you don't shoot every douchebag you see in a Tapout shirt.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    EDC? Nothing...maybe a pair of gloves every now and then. Have the 'bag' in my range gear and in my van.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    CPR Micro-Shield, rubber gloves and a knife.
    Train 2 Win

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast