Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Responders-what do you EDC?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoulderthinggoesup View Post
    If you use up the reserve capacity of the blood and lungs in CPR, it is pretty much too late anyways.
    Exactly, downtime before intervention is a huge factor in successfully bringing back a cardiac arrest patient. Even the best CPR is not efficient enough to move blood the way the heart can. You are just buying the brain time by doing CPR.

Feedback Score
    EDC
    1. Cell phone.
    2. Benchmade Mini Griptillian.
    3. Stream light ProTac 2L (after a KD class, I have one for duty and 1 for casual EDC).

Feedback Score
    I carry lots of stuff, and have a designated trauma kit in my plate carrier, but one thing I carry everyday everywhere is my quick clot. It rides in my vest in the pocket in the front were the hard plate goes in at. This is standard at my department.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You have to consider your resources for intervention. Off duty your good for things like compressions, C-spine and direct pressure. The most benifical thing first responders do is take control in a non-paniced manner; this calms people down and stabilizes the incident.

That being said I carry a small pouch in my back pack (always in my car) that has ab pads, cling wrap, tape, nasal airways, occlusive dressings and chest darts. It's basically a "I'm shot" kit plus some odds and ends. I always have gloves.

Also keep in mind your acting with no medical control off duty. You have stuff and skills but you have no right to practices advanced interventions.

Be ready, be calm, be creative.

Feedback Score
    In my EDC bag I carry an Israeli battle dressing and 2 pairs of gloves. I also have a pair of sunglasses that I'd use for PPE. That's it as far as medical supplies.

In my vehicles I have more comprehensive kits. I've also got a full BLS trauma kit that I take to the range, diving, or any other place that has a higher likelihood of injury.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Paramedic here...I carry a flashlight on my person. In my car I have a bigger flashlight and trauma sheers.

Feedback Score
    Best things for EDC have already been metionioned. A pair of gloves, and a good pocket knife.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Feedback Score
    Lets change it up. You have 2 small kids and you are watching your wife run a race. Public venue, you are a ways from your vehicle, you can CC if you so choose. What medical supplies would actually be of some help?

Gloves, quick clot, band aids (kids always need these), what else???? Not EDC per se, but a kit that is a little more robust just in case...... ???

Feedback Score
    Now I don't really carry a EDC kit, but if I were at a race as metioned above, I'd say a pair of gloves, band aids, and neosporin, and gauze. Maybe a bite stick for a make shift splint. Small enough you could pocket carry it in a bag or whatever.

I'm not a fan of quick clot as I haven't really had any experience with it. I know that they took it out of our local protocols a few years back because of the required surgical intervention. The nearest level 1 trauma center from my area of opertaion is 45 mintues. After we'd get someone critical there, the surgeons were always upset with our use of quick clot.
    "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RWCRaiden View Post
    Now I don't really carry a EDC kit, but if I were at a race as metioned above, I'd say a pair of gloves, band aids, and neosporin, and gauze. Maybe a bite stick for a make shift splint. Small enough you could pocket carry it in a bag or whatever.

I'm not a fan of quick clot as I haven't really had any experience with it. I know that they took it out of our local protocols a few years back because of the required surgical intervention. The nearest level 1 trauma center from my area of opertaion is 45 mintues. After we'd get someone critical there, the surgeons were always upset with our use of quick clot.
    Any feedback on the Celox (sp?) impregnated gauze?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast