Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SR-25 carbine

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak44 View Post
    Bel what's it like to be rich? lol

Ha. I started trap with an 870 I still have, then got a Browning Bt-99, and then then a Beretta 682X trap. Never had a Perazzi. Lots of guys used them, though. That and Ljutic, Krieger, Kolar, Seitz, ect.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    I obviously love EMC's and I equally respect SB...my above replies were in no way meant to degrade the stellar products both those entities happen to be, but rather just point out that $9k for a civilian rifle and optic is....

No way....that sounds like a $3k rifle honestly, I would be all over a EMR or EMC for $5k
    It's basically an EMC clone, however with a pre-ban lower, it has none of the ambi features of the newer KAC lowers. Living in a ban state, it's the closest I'm going to get to an EMC (unless I buy one and put an A2 stock + Battlecomp on it).

For $5,000, I was almost thinking of getting a GAP-10 with an 18" barrel + a NF 2.5-10x. (and I'll still have $1,000 left over)

Feedback Score
    I went down this road myself and learned something very basic; these rifles no matter what they cost are pretty heavy for what is supposed to be a Carbine. This particular one is over 8 pounds before you put anything on it. Mine ended up tipping the scale at 11.5 pounds after putting a Leupold MRT on it.

Then there is the ballistic issue; shooting a 308 out of a 16 inch barrel leaves you with the performance of a 300 Savage.

After it was all said and done I went back to an M1A with a 22 inch barrel. It is just over ten pounds with the same scope but at least I am getting 308 ballistics.
    Last edited by 3kids1gun; 04-10-11 at 18:09.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Its a carbine not a rifle.

I think it fits well in the capacity the 308 was designed to be used...out to 800 meters.

With a longer barrel you can stretch out the range a bit but at those ranges you are stretching to there are many better calibers. Our Army finally figured this out as have the brits. A 308 semi auto for closer in work, maintain the same manual of arms as the standard issue carbine, and still have a gun capable of short to medium range hits. The 308 carbines are not replacements for serious long range guns...both the brits and the USA have gone to magnum bolt actions for that role. The two make a good pair.

If you wanted a longer barrel there is the KAC EMR, OBR, MWS, ect. The EMC is a compact match rifle designed to be used close in and out to reasonable distances. I have no issues but myself shooting gongs at 750.

Feedback Score
    Good luck at 800 meters. It would be an unusual shot for a "Carbine". And you would have even more poor terminal effect at that range with a 16 inch barrel provided you hit anything.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3kids1gun View Post
    Good luck at 800 meters. It would be an unusual shot for a "Carbine". And you would have even more poor terminal effect at that range with a 16 inch barrel provided you hit anything.

lol ok. What 16" 308's capable of sub MOA 10 shot groups have you shot to that distance?

Wanna go stand out there?

Feedback Score
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    lol ok. What 16" 308's capable of sub MOA 10 shot groups have you shot to that distance?

Wanna go stand out there?
    Only the people that actually researched...aka shot guns, rather than bullshit on the silly internet ...and compared a 16" true match grade precision barrel to a comparable 18" or 20" one can tell you how ignorant by in large the vast majority of the AR world is to the 16"/Recce/Recon precision option.

It doesn't matter if it's a 16" .308 or 5.56, people have no clue and that is perfectly fine, let em tote their 14lb + SDMR, DMR, or even one of my beloved SPR's.

I see no reason to ever own a precision AR in a length over 16" given I'm using a Rock or Krieger type blank.

I can promise that a .308 16" gun can earn medal past 1k with shooter and load present.....and I equally can promise a 16" 5.56 gun can earn it's medal past 700yds given shooter and load are present.

If you need more than 1K from a .308 than your really playing from behind in a big way....get a longer barreled true bolt or another SA in .260rem or 6.5 creedmoor.

For some it's time to let go of their preconceived notions about this topic and leave your 20" dinosaur at home.

Feedback Score
    There are 2 reasons, but of course these are not your concern here: shooter comfort, and bullet performance. When people argue for longer length, these 2 criteria are often unspoken and perhaps sometimes subconscious, although a concern nonetheless...and have nothing to do with accuracy. ETA: my comment is NOT directed at Belmont, just a general reflection.
    Last edited by carbinero; 04-11-11 at 14:25.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3kids1gun View Post
    Wow! what rock did u come out of

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast