Thread: RCS vs COMPTAC

Feedback Score

RCS vs COMPTAC

I wanted to get some opinions from anyone who has used either of the holsters i'm referring too.

I'm looking at either the RCS phantom light compatible
    or the Comp-tac belt light compatible holster

I currently use a Comp-tac MTAC and love it, but I really want a good
    light bearing holster.

one thing that is holding up just buying the RCS is the lead time on their
    products.

Price isn't a factor since they are about equal when you add all the options, the modular ability of the phantom is a plus and they look really good.

I'm starting to lean towards RCS more because what I've seen their CS is more than top notch

Feedback Score
    RCS customer service is top notch.

I bought a phantom for my G19/X300 about a year and a half ago. Three months ago I was looking the holster over and found a rather substantial crack in the mouth of the holster. One e-mail to RCS got the matter taken care of and I had a new one within about 2-3 weeks.

The other good thing about this is that RCS sent me the new style which is thicker kydex and much tougher, same story with the new belt loops. RCS gear was always good but now it's good to go. My only gripe is that I didn't ask for the replacement to be made to accommodate a G17/X300 like I did for my Spada but that is my fault.

As far as Comptac goes I love their gear and holster but I don't yet have any of their light compatible rigs. I've really been thinking of getting a CTAC for a glock and X300 but I haven't done it yet.

Ek

Feedback Score
    i too have been interested in getting a RCS holster but havent done it yet.

i have had a CTAC and 2 MTACs and loved them. my first MTAC clips started stretching out a bit and they replaced them for free and had great CS.

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by Jerik1m4; 12-14-10 at 21:34.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Tough call. Own them both, and love them both for different reasons.

Comp-Tac staff are some of the nicest people on the planet and their production schedule is fast. I ordered NINE Glock 30 holsters for all of our detectives on November 8th and had ALL of them in hand by November 18th, to include two left handed holsters and 9 magazine pouches. Their paddle holsters are comfortable, quality and retention are excellent, customer service is superb and production time is very fast.

Now, for lightweight, well-constructed, reasonably concealable light-compatible holsters -- RCS owns this area. Comp-Tac's light compatible holster is easy to use, okay to conceal, and sturdy -- but the RCS Phantom conceals even better. Both are sleek, streamlined holsters with acceptable retention if turned upside down.

Simply, I have used Comp-Tac products for years, and they were the first kydex holsters to replace my custom leather holsters from my English friend, Andy Arratoonian at Horseshoe Leather. IMHO, BladeTech was one of the early producers, but I always found their holsters to be a little bulky -- so Comp-Tac won the nod, and a lot of our cops use Comp-Tac. When I started packing a light with Glocks, Comp-Tac didn't make a compatible model -- and I found RCS right about the time I started looking.

Tom Fineis is a great guy, we have a bunch of mutual friends, and RCS products set a standard for others to emulate.

So, if you want concealable -- RCS owns it. If concealment is not the major concern, like so many plainclothes cops in raid jackets, Comp-Tac products are sturdy, well-priced and quickly produced.

YMMV.
    Last edited by PRGGodfather; 12-15-10 at 02:26.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I dumped Comptac for RCS. The leather mounted belt loops are incredibly unstable after the leather softens.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No experience with RCS, but CompTac is like dealing with good family. Great folks and solid gear!
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'll play.

I am a HUGE fan of Comp-Tac products. If they make it ... I've tried it. The only exception is their new light carrier holsters. I know that's what you are asking about so why did I bother posting, right?

A friend just asked the same question ... RCS or Comp-Tac. He ordered both and figured he would sell whichever he liked least. Of course, the Comp-Tac arrived in a week and the Raven is still months out. Long story short, he's already sent the CT back for a refund. He said it stuck way too far off the belt and would be damn near impossible to conceal. I can't recall what else he didn't like about it.

I do have a Raven Light Carrier. Granted, I have only owned it about a week and have only worn it around the house for a little while. It retains well and can easily be concealed under a light cover garment. It is only slightly larger than a "regular" no light holster.

Between the two I would say for sure ... RCS.

I am anxious to try a light carrier from Personal Security Holsters. I prob will soon as they are shipping within a week of order and are reasonably priced. Their design is said to retain a pistol without a light attached with adequate retention based on how they block the mold. I know the RCS and Comp-Tac light carriers won't do that. I'm curious to verify this claim by PSH myself.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I used a few Comp-Tac holsters, and never liked them. At the time, I was looking to bring them into the store I was working at, and was testing them out, as I heard good things about them.

After wearing them for a while, I wrote up some suggested feedback (this was about 3 years ago now) and emailed it back to my point of contact. Never heard a single word back from them, not even an acknowledgement of receipt.

-I found their belt clip to not be secure, what so ever.
    -The material to be too thin/flexible. IWB retention was very sensitive to belt tightness. With the Infidel, the gun would fall out with a loose belt if I bent over, but if I tightened the belt down, I could get the holster to pop off my belt and follow the gun out of my pants.
    -The spacers were ragedly cut, and made it almost impossible to quickly adjust the struts on the CTAC. Made it too hard to adjust for a customer on the spot.
    -The tiny little allen key hardwear was a pain to adjust, and I don't know why they choose it over regular philips head screws.
    -Also, the thread pattern on those screws are so tight that it makes it even harder to get it back together when you're fighting with un-even rubber spacers.
    -The t-nuts they put in their leather struts were pressure points that dug into my thigh, and no adjustment made it any better.

I sold them off, and I'm glad to be done with them. I've been using a mixture of Safariland, Desantis, and my own kydex creations since then. I've got a Raven on order, and will see how I like it. Between their flexibility in attachment, lifetime waranty, customer service, and custom options (sweat guard cuts, cant, color, etc) I'd be much more tempted to order from RCS.

CCC (custom carry concepts) makes on of the best mag pouches I've seen though, and still prefer their pouches to anything else I'm aware of.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I just put a RCS phantom on order, I think after hearing some responses it will be the way to go for my purpose. Thanks again! Now starts the longest 12 weeks of my life