Thread: Barrel cleaning

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Barrel cleaning

I bought a BCM 16" mid-length upper and blem lower back in September and then ran into a health issue that has kept me from doing anything with it. I pushed the pins the other day to put it together in anticipation of actually getting to shoot it. I bought cleaning supplies around the same time I bought the rifle, including a Dewey coated rod, Dewey bore guide, appropriate size patches, etc.

I decided tonight to run a few patches down the barrel to get it ready for the range, but I ran into a problem. I can't get the freaking patch to enter the barrel via the bore guide. It's as if the combination of patch and stab jag (that came with the Dewey rod) are too big. I checked the part number for the rod and confirmed it was the correct size, and the Brownell's patches are supposed to be correct based on the catalog.

I have cleaned shotguns and my old .30-.30 forever and never experienced this before. I have issues sometimes when trying to "force" things, so I backed off and thought I might check in here and see if there are any suggestions or if someone can give me an idea of how tight the jag/patch combo should be and how much force is required to get them down the barrel.

I'm probably going to get bashed for this, but I don't want to screw up anything on the rifle. Please be kind with suggestions and keep to yourself any that are anatomically impossible.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    your patches are too grande. get .22 patches, or trim them down

Feedback Score
    No offense but were the patches wet?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yep, patches were wet. I'll try smaller patches or trimming these down. Thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    you should be able to run dry patches through too.. i run dry patches through till they come out dry, after i clean, the rare times i clean the bore, for instance.

i got an over-sized patch stuck in a carbine once. after thrashing around my shop in rage, a bent cleaning rod, broken cabinet, a mess of thrown/knocked over shit all over the place, and my son backed into the wall with an expression of terror and a head full of words he'd never heard before, i now make DAMN sure i've got a .22 patch on my jag.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afff_667 View Post
    Yep, patches were wet. I'll try smaller patches or trimming these down. Thanks!!!
    I use the same setup as you (except maybe a different bore guide).

Have you run just the rod through without jag or patch to eliminate those possibilities?

One thing more you might try is to punch the patch off-center. I do not run a dry patch through a dry bore, I always soak them down first.

Hope you get it working.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    you should be able to run dry patches through too.. i run dry patches through till they come out dry, after i clean, the rare times i clean the bore, for instance.

i got an over-sized patch stuck in a carbine once. after thrashing around my shop in rage, a bent cleaning rod, broken cabinet, a mess of thrown/knocked over shit all over the place, and my son backed into the wall with an expression of terror and a head full of words he'd never heard before, i now make DAMN sure i've got a .22 patch on my jag.
    Been down this trail once or twice.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Some of the commercial patches are sized for loop type cleaning jags, so they will be way too large. I usually cut up old cotton t-shirts or something similar for patches.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JStor View Post
    Some of the commercial patches are sized for loop type cleaning jags, so they will be way too large. I usually cut up old cotton t-shirts or something similar for patches.
    i tried the do-it-yourself patch once or twice... ack, what a lot of work for an extremely disposable thing.

the Hoppes .22lr patches are perfect for jags on ARs.. and they're like 200 for $2

Feedback Score
    You actually want a slightly tight fit, so that the pass cleans the actual surface instead of just grazing it. But yeah, the correct size patches make all the difference, especially in the smaller calibers.