Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom 1911 Base Guns.

Feedback Score
    One thing to consider is buying a caspian frame/slide

So the Gunsmith gets to leave all the initial marks of detail, with his work and no one elses.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger
    ...I do have one problem with the Mil-Spec - it does not have front cocking serration’s. I consider them to be a “Must have” on any 1911 I ever buy or have built.....
    Why do you consider these a "must have"? What procedure/manipulation requires them that can't also be perfromed using just the rear serrations?

Feedback Score
    Im not answering for dinger, but I also consider them an absolute must on a duty/training gun.

Different strokes for different folks, I'd rather grab, chamber check/drop the slide with alot of left hand on the gun, and my index/thumb touching the serrations.

It allows for more control on the weapon, more positive manipulation. Especially on a hot day, here you are sweating and your hands are slippery, I really enjoy the FCS.

From my own limited experience, performing the press check with the weakside thumb/index on the RCS doesn't allow for the amount of control on the weapon than I would like. And 'pinching' down on the RCS just with two fingers doesn't get it for me, using either the overhand or sling shot method, atleast.

On a carry gun, for an everyday normal joe such as myself, I dont like them. The gun rides in the holster IWB all day, and it rarely comes out through out the work week.

ETA: I forgot to mention, I enjoy their looks also, which I know puts me in the minority

Feedback Score
    I guess it depends on whether or not you are running a FL guide rode. If using a short plug you can do a pinch check but some folks don't like the idea of having parts of your paws out around the muzzle. But I've always just used the rear serrations, grasping them with my weak hand, rolling the gun sideways so I get a good visual of the chamber, and then while locking my weak hand I push forward with my strong hand on the grip.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I like Colts. A Springer is mechanically as good as a Colt, but lacks the aesthetic appeal (to me).

No problem with building SS guns. I think mostly it's cosmetic reasons that lead people to build carbon steel guns.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart
    Why do you consider these a "must have"? What procedure/manipulation requires them that can't also be perfromed using just the rear serrations?
    I use front cocking serrations when using my preferred press check technique. My current "#1" 1911 does not have them and I can get by just fine but I still miss not having them.

Like I said; if it were my choice every 1911 I own would have them.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    Roger that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger
    I'm considering getting another custom 1911 built later this fall. It's come down to making a final decision on what base gun to use. Whatever pistol I use the final product must have weapon mounted light capability. Right now I have settled on a SA Mil-Spec with Dawson rail combo as the starting point, but I'm open to other suggestions. I do have one problem with the Mil-Spec - it does not have front cocking serration’s. I consider them to be a “Must have” on any 1911 I ever buy or have built. They are either going to have to be added or a base gun found that has them already. A couple of guys that I trust have suggested using everything from a SA Mil-Spec Operator to various Colts.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions.
    The Mil Spec Operator doesn't have front cocking serrations. However, it does use the relatively simple serrations of the Loaded series, so any good gunsmith would probably be able to mimic them to near perfection on the front quite easily.

Also remember that the Mil Spec and Loaded Operators use a bushing versus the TRP's bull. That preference varies by user, but I prefer the bushing models. Finding the full length dust cover Loaded/Mil Spec Operators has gotten really tough lately.

In my opinion, the TRP is a take it or leave it gun. It's already loaded with decent features, but if they're features you don't prefer, it's probably best to look else where.

Last but not least, is your Pro not good enough?
    The luxury of freedom was not free.

Feedback Score
    If you're going all-out custom, what's your price range?
    MIght want to check into Nighthawk or Wilson.
    After almost 3k rounds my NH Talon is still tight as a drum.
    I believe that NH does work on customer supplied pistols also.
    NRA
    USPSA
    VCDL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12