Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Green Mountain Barrels?

Feedback Score

Green Mountain Barrels?

I've been thinking about doing another M16A1 build since Green Mountain is now making chrome lined A1 profile barrels. However, I'm a bit unsure about how good they are since their first run of barrels ended up being a 1/2" shorter than they should be. Anyone have an idea if one of these barrels would be worth getting? At $90 I'm tempted to pick one up anyway, but I really don't want to buy a junk barrel.

Barrel in question.
    http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/product...aspx?id=GM-M15

Feedback Score
    Green Mountain barrels are generally reputed to be well made. The barrel you linked is, as you noted, half an inch short due to a manufacturing oversight/foulup, but would be a great start for a 605 build.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I know the 1/12 will do well with a 55 grain round how heavy can you go? That is a great deal on the bbl.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A significant number of Colt 6940 barrels are manufactured by Green Mountain. They build very good barrels.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    holly shit.. under $100 for all that?

ordering.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I know the 1/12 will do well with a 55 grain round how heavy can you go? That is a great deal on the bbl.
    I have seen some people report acceptable results with 62 gr. bullets in warm to hot weather. At colder air temperatures they will definitely be all over the place. Personally I stick with 55s in my 1/12 barrels; there's no reason not to; 55 gr. ammo is usually the most commonly available and cheapest.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Thanks. That is what I shoot too. I've had 1:9 and 1:7 guns but never a 1:12 before. The price is awesome and would be a great candidate for a fun retro build for the A1 upper I have.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    I ordered one. I figured for the price, it's worth taking a chance. The twist rate isn't a big deal since this barrel will either be an A1 build or I will make it into a small game rifle. For me, 55 grain bullets work fine in either application.

Feedback Score
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with Green Mountain... they are good folks and make a very good barrel.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDak View Post
    I ordered one. I figured for the price, it's worth taking a chance. The twist rate isn't a big deal since this barrel will either be an A1 build or I will make it into a small game rifle. For me, 55 grain bullets work fine in either application.
    ordered also... and also not really sure what the fijunk i'm gonna do with it. i don't think i've even held a 1/12 barrel in about 6 years, let alone fired one..

but that was way too good a deal to pass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast