Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell Them While you still can

Feedback Score

Tell Them While you still can

First of all, I'm not starting this thread as a "pity party" or a shameless attempt to get everyone's sympathy posts. I appreciate such sentiments, but save it.

I started this thread as a cautionary tale that you never know when your number is up.

This past Monday night, I went to a friend's house to collect a UPS package I had sent to his address because I know he's there all the time, and I knew his address is a lot easier to find than mine.

First, I couldn't get him on the phone all day. I started getting kind of pissed that he had broken his promise to stay home all day.

When I got to his home, I saw the UPS "attempted delivery" sticker on his door. All his vehicles were there. His screen door was locked but his main door was slightly ajar. I knocked on the door, and yelled inside.

Nothing.

To make a long story short, I decided no one leaves his door ajar this time of year, so I called 911.

Sure enough, my friend of 20+ years had unexpectedly died, probably the very morning my UPS package was slated to arrive. The sheriff's deputies said he most likely had gotten out of bed, put his pants on, and keeled over.

That's how I'd like to go: quick. But it sure was unexpected, and I'm still in shock.

You never know when your number is up.

Tell your loved ones how you feel. Don't wait until it's too late.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Damn man maybe it was a good thing you sent it there! Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Feedback Score
    Very sad. Sorry for your loss.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You do not get over loss, you get used to it, and learn to live with it.

We are in this for keeps guys, if you aren't appreciating the people in your lives you are doing yourself a disservice.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Words to live by.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I am so sorry for your loss. We all have lost too many close friends and family members lately.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oh man. That stinks and you have my sympathies. Also good advice. Don't wait
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Damn, Doc. That is some of the worst kind news, face to face as it were. My condolences, and hope you and his friends and family are comforted by the fact that his passing was not prolonged.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Truth. You never know when it maybe your time. Just today my sister had a close friend and colleague wake up this morning, go into her bathroom, and keel over. Her husband and daughter heard her cry out and then a thud, they rushed in and she was gone. She had a heart attack, she was only in her mid forties.
    Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 12-27-13 at 00:07.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That sucks but like you said, he went quickly at least. My wife's friend just had something similar happen but it wasn't as quick. Her friend called to cancel on plans they had because she just got word from her doctor that she only had about 4-5 days to live due to an aggressive disease after going to see a doctor because she didn't feel well. Sure enough, 4 days later she was gone. She was 32 years old with a husband and 2 kids. Not sure if I would want 4-5 days to wait or if I would be tankful for that kind of time to set things right. All I know is I'm thankful every day I wake up and don't take any day for granted. Near death experiences will have that effect on you. I also seem to be happier and have a better outlook than most so maybe that plays a part too. Either way, RIP to your friend and thoughts are with those who knew him including you.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast