Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Brands

Feedback Score

Suppressor Brands

I am looking to purchase a can around April of next year and I have been researching the different brands and have narrowed it down to one, maybe two brands; Gemtech and or AAC. Does anyone here have any experience with either or both can manufacturers? Is there any one better than the other? I am looking more towards the Gemtech HVT which is the quick disconnect for the 7.62 and I really like how quickly this set up is to place and remove the can. I have read and seen several You Tube videos that show Gemtechs to be inferior to AAC mainly due to the fact that Gemtech does not weld the baffles and AAC does. Is welded baffles important when selecting a can? Any knowledge that can be passed along will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Shaniac; 12-21-10 at 00:24.
    Shaniac — Charleston, SC

Luke 22:36

"Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety"

"Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians"

"64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This would get more responses in the NFA subforum.
    See Scottryan's and others posts in this thread:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=68788&page=2

Is "in-superior" similar to "inferior"?
    Last edited by RAM Engineer; 12-21-10 at 00:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    This would get more responses in the NFA subforum.
    See Scottryan's and others posts in this thread:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=68788&page=2

Is "in-superior" similar to "inferior"?
    It is late here when I posted my thread...thanks for catching that before the rest of the forum did...it is fixed now.
    OH, and thanks for your help.
    Shaniac — Charleston, SC

Luke 22:36

"Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety"

"Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians"

"64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday"

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Where suppressors are concerned, my "order of merit" tracks more or less along these lines:

1. SureFire (Mini)
    2. KAC (QDSS NT4)
    3. AAC (M4-2000)

Though I would consider the SureFire to be the best-in-class product here, the other two are essentially peer competitors in my opinion. The AAC is an easy and popular choice, and while the KAC is somewhat less well-known, I included it here because of my affinity for the SR-15E3 platform.

Given an objective assessment of quality, design, zero shift and overall performance, there would have to be some compelling reason for me not to select the SureFire at this point. It costs more, but there is a reason for that.

AC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Where suppressors are concerned, my "order of merit" tracks more or less along these lines:

1. SureFire (Mini)
    2. KAC (QDSS NT4)
    3. AAC (M4-2000)

Though I would consider the SureFire to be the best-in-class product here, the other two are essentially peer competitors in my opinion. The AAC is an easy and popular choice, and while the KAC is somewhat less well-known, I included it here because of my affinity for the SR-15E3 platform.

Given an objective assessment of quality, design, zero shift and overall performance, there would have to be some compelling reason for me not to select the SureFire at this point. It costs more, but there is a reason for that.

AC

I don't see how you place move value on a compact silencer for general use over a full size silencer?
    Last edited by scottryan; 12-21-10 at 07:49.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaniac View Post
    I am looking to purchase a can around April of next year and I have been researching the different brands and have narrowed it down to one, maybe two brands; Gemtech and or AAC. Does anyone here have any experience with either or both can manufacturers? Is there any one better than the other? I am looking more towards the Gemtech HVT which is the quick disconnect for the 7.62 and I really like how quickly this set up is to place and remove the can. I have read and seen several You Tube videos that show Gemtechs to be inferior to AAC mainly due to the fact that Gemtech does not weld the baffles and AAC does. Is welded baffles important when selecting a can? Any knowledge that can be passed along will be greatly appreciated.

Welded baffles are manditory for any centerfire rifle silencer.

There was a big scandal about gemtec illuding to using welding baffles. This was exposed as BS about 5 years ago.

Gemtech is a cheap "consumer brand" silencer made for people that have money and no skills to buy a silencer and so they can say they own a silencer.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    I don't see how you place more value on a compact silencer for general use over a full size silencer?
    Good point.

The simple answer is that there is an inevitable trade-off to deal with between form factor and effectiveness, and for my purposes, I'm more interested in a sound moderation device that doesn't fundamentally alter the handling characteristics of the weapon. Given that inherent bias, and the impressive performance of the Mini, that makes it an easy call for me to make.

The AAC strikes me as the better "mainstream" choice, but even though I think the M4-2000 is an excellent product, it still adds more weight and length than my ideal. Not a big concern on a 16" GP carbine or SPR, perhaps, but definitely more of a factor on a 10.5" CQB gun -- and it is this latter configuration that I would generally be seeking to suppress.

Given that we will all tend to weigh the various factors involved a bit differently, it naturally follows that we might all get slightly different answers. For me, small, fast and light with a positive fast-attach system and premium quality internals make the Mini hard to beat. That doesn't mean that it is objectively the best; it means that it is subjectively my first choice.

AC

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Gemtech is a cheap "consumer brand" silencer ...
    Notwithstanding my usual efforts to take a somewhat more diplomatic line on such things, I would have to agree.

AC

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaniac View Post

I currently don't have a lot of experience with 7.62 cans, but have a lot of personal experience with both Gemtech and AAC.

The guys at Gemtech are simply the best. Honest folks that provide great service. What I also like about them is that they avoid all the errornet drama that some other suppressor manufacturer's seem to live on.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 12-21-10 at 08:46.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Admittedly, all of the e-drama kind of blunted my enthusiasm for AAC as well, though at the end of the day, what I really care about is a premium quality component, since suppressors are on the expensive end of what we what might otherwise consider "consumable" items.

AC

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast