Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: So you want to go to a Training Course for the first time?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacoops View Post
    I live in NE Indiana and am wanting to take some firearms courses, one in particular is Kyle Defoors carbine course in OH. However in the class description it says the class is for students who have attended shooting courses before or students who have a good understanding of carbine basics. I have never attended a class before so I'm hoping someone could elaborate on what is meant by carbine basics. Or if you have attended on of Kyles courses how advanced is it? Thanks
    I'd give Alias a call. I'm sure they would be more than helpful with your questions.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    This still has to be one of the best original posts ever. I have read this thread at least a half-dozen times now. Again, since I am back to having enough time to start taking some courses. Thanks again Mr. Jack.

Feedback Score
    Just signed up for my first class and am pretty stoked. It's lavs 1911 operators course, on spare parts what would you recommend I bring? I was obviously going to bring my primary which is a trp operator, but was thinking I might bring my backup although it's a rock island armory and I don't have a whole world of faith in it. But spare parts, what should I bring?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Just signed up for my first class and am pretty stoked. It's lavs 1911 operators course, on spare parts what would you recommend I bring? I was obviously going to bring my primary which is a trp operator, but was thinking I might bring my backup although it's a rock island armory and I don't have a whole world of faith in it. But spare parts, what should I bring?

Definitely bring the backup, it won't hurt. How many rounds on your primary? I'd bring a new recoil spring. Maybe an extractor as well, but I really have no idea what it takes to replace that so it may not be feasible on the road. Other than that, mags and o-rings for your grips. That's probably about it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure. I don't track rounds for it less than 1500 though.

Feedback Score
    I read on another forum that if you build your own AR, PLEASE put it through a wringer before you bring it to class. This guy had taught hundreds of classes (I think he was with Front Sight) and said 90% of the time when somebody's gun fails in the middle of a lesson, it's a home-built job.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Replying to an old thread!

However...

This is a tremendous resource. I recently took my first AR focused course and this was plenty helpful. Sure I had a rolling toolbox worth of stuff with me, but I did have to use some things I wasn't expecting to.

Thank you to all who have contributed and compiled information together.

Feedback Score
    I’m looking at taking a carbine course this winter, it’ll be my first carbine class. Don’t know how to ask this without sounding like a douche so just going to ask. I have a chest rig setup that I’ve used, and it’s got lvl iv plates in it. Being a basic class should I still run that or go get something different for mags and dump pouches?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I’m looking at taking a carbine course this winter, it’ll be my first carbine class. Don’t know how to ask this without sounding like a douche so just going to ask. I have a chest rig setup that I’ve used, and it’s got lvl iv plates in it. Being a basic class should I still run that or go get something different for mags and dump pouches?

Thanks
    I’m a nobody that’s taken a few training classes as a first-timer. I’ve found that using what I already have and am familiar with gave me the most learning opportunities. There’s always somebody in class with a hot new setup and inevitably spends more time figuring that out than learning the course material. Of course, there are basic requirements of any particular class and the courses I’ve taken usually have a good description of recommended equipment like knee pads, minimum mags and reloads for their curriculum, etc.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I would run what you're used to. Not sure what kind of physical shape you're in or how long you're used to wearing your plate carrier, but if the weight/fatigue becomes an issue during class you could probably just remove the plates and still use your PC as a chest rig for spare mags, etc.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast