Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So you want to go to a Training Course for the first time?

Feedback Score
    The night before class or in case of multi day classes.

• Get a good nights rest
    • No alcohol
    • Eat sensibly
    • Hydrate

No reason to go out and party just because you are out of town.
    This advice was given to us by our instructor on day one of my first class. It made a lot of sense.
    HD

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    #12 is great, and I would add "BE a friend." Of all the classes I have attended (which haven't been THAT many), I remember my first the most. The guy beside me was a few days back from Iraq, and as he talked, I just listened. I think it was cathartic to him, and I learned a metric crapload from him as well. I have made friends from a lot of classes.

Great thread. Thanks.
    Last edited by chuckman; 12-21-10 at 18:19.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Bring some eye drops if you're prone to dry eye. Not Visine. Something like Refresh/Refresh Contacts or Systane Ultra should be very helpful.

Also bring some chapstick, ibuprofen/tylenol, and some 3M medical tape in case your hands get rubbed raw/blistered.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I actually have a question:

My first class will be in Feb. and I was one who jumped on the bandwagon and purchased a 14.5 Mid. with a PWS Comp pinned on it. I have heard that some instructors are against comps, and fellow shooters will be pissed to be next to you. Is it best practice to not use a rifle fitted with one?

Merry Christmas and great post F2S.
    Last edited by sadmin; 12-21-10 at 20:48.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    COMPs are for COMPetition.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great informative post. Thanks for posting F2S!!

Some compensators won't get you any friends on either side. If you have one of those, try to get on the end.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I shot next to guy with a Surefire brake and it wasn't that bad. It was outdoors though. Indoors would have been a different story. Stay away from the walls if you are indoors.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I resisted the urge to jump on the Battlecomp/PWS Brake/Surefire Brake bandwagon until I've become semi-competent with my weapon with the standard A2 FH. It'll probably be years before I feel "competent enough".

There was a guy shooting with the Surefire brake on a 10.5 SBR at a class I was at recently. The concussion was pretty obnoxious.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've been enjoying these training "discussions" and believe I actually have something to add and I'm hoping it's pertinent and not a complete statement of the obvious.

I haven't had much for firearms classes except for attending St. Paul PDs Street Safe back in 2005 but I have attended others such as Pursuit Driving every three years per POST requirements as well as twice yearly firearms qualifications also per POST requirements and one thing I can say from the law enforcement side is dress for the occasion.

For these types of classes I always wear my full uniform minus badges, pens, radio, etc. to avoid damage but all the leather gear is present as is my body armor. I don't sit in a car the same or shoot the same when I'm not wearing this equipment so I feel it a disservice to myself to practice without it given how infrequently we get to practice during these sessions. This is obviously a theme that some have hit on previously so I'm not stating anything revolutionary I'm just sayin'.

I've been a minority at these classes because of this but when one instructor, at a class 40 miles away from my village, asked me if I was on-duty I stated, "No, but I don't go to the dance without my dress and heels." I believe I can say that in every instance the instructors made some comment questioning my choice of clothing and in some cases I believe that choice indicated to them that I was serious about being in the class.

Since 2007 when I became Chief I've requested that all the patrolmen from our Mayberry department (4 including myself) wear their uniforms to qualifications and Use of Force training. The first year our instructors, deputies from our sheriff's department, asked me about it because usually other officers/deputies wear sweats and tennis shoes. I told them that they should practice in that which they'd most likely be wearing when implementing what is taught plus if they wreck their clothes it might as well be company issued for ease of replacement. They voiced their appreciation of us doing this after I answered their question too.
    Last edited by Scotter260; 12-22-10 at 00:23.

Feedback Score
    Great thread here and thanks for imparting!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast