Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So you want to go to a Training Course for the first time?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    It's great to see so many people offering advice.
    Rob s makes very good points.
    Fundamental classes (as one's first class should be unless you have been trained by your job in those aspects) should be comparatively low density, with ample time to learn the basics and jam mags. If you are wondering what level IV plate you should buy and what carrier to put it in for the class, you probably don't need it, and the class is probably oriented to a different audience/skill set than you want for just getting into formal training. There are exceptions, of course, but generally speaking, it is in the students best interest to start at the beginning.

Others have talked about setup, an often overlooked aspect. It helps if you bring a heavy-duty stapler and a box of staples. Any good instructor will have some for the line, but staplers have a tendancy to migrate, hide, and commit suicide. Having your own ensures that you are not dependant on someone else remembering to hand the stapler to the left instead of to the right. Just like everything else, distinctly mark it or it might join the others in their escape.

A roll of duct tape (as should already be in any male's vehicle) often comes in handy. Don't get the cheap stuff, it won't work in the cold or wet.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Great stuff and should be a sticky!!! Take notes, preload mags and help setup and takedown the range.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Great thread! This should be stickied.

With everything already said, I personally bring:

1) Zip Ties- Invariably, sling mounting options break, zip ties are a quick effective option to mounting a sling.

2) Duct Tape- This goes without saying, tons of things you can do with this. Last minute quick fixes to loose hanging gear...

3) Granola/ Energy bars- I like to eat one or two throughout the day to keep my head in the game.

4) Lube the BCG at least once during the course between breaks. Granted people want to see what kind of abuse they can put their weapon system though before the weapon fails. I like to ensure the BCG is lubed enough to run through the class w/o malfunctions so I can learn as much as possible w/o getting my weapon up and running

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    For the Basic Carbine class I took a couple of months ago my equipment list was very minimal.

Weapon
    Ammo Dry Storage Case -large enough to hold 17 loaded mags. Case has a pull out tray that contained my cleaning gear and spare BCG and lube bottle.
    4Mag Chest rig
    Pocket knife

Anthing else that may have been required but I didn't really need on the line was in the truck along with a small cooler that contained 6 bottles of Gatorade.

I basically had everyting I needed in my ammo case. Nothing floating around on the tables in the break area. All nice, neat, contained and easy to access. I think that made things much more functional. So much less hassle to deal with and much more time to concentrate on the important stuff.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 12-22-10 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    Great thread, and alot of really good information for students new to the game. As an instructor, I put out the essential information for required equipment and what is expected. However myself and most other instructor I know never put out anything this in depth. So thanks to everyone here for putting this thread together. I believe this is invaluable information.

For the OP since this is your thread I'll ask you if you mind if I borrow this as a basis for a hand out for new students attending my course. Once again great thread and hell yea it needs to be a sticky.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DDgunslinger View Post
    For the OP since this is your thread I'll ask you if you mind if I borrow this as a basis for a hand out for new students attending my course. Once again great thread and hell yea it needs to be a sticky.
    By all means, just give M4 a nod by including a reference or a link to the thread.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Whatever number of mags you have, invest in a device to fill those magazines quickly. I put all my loose rounds on stripper clips and use either a GI "speed loader" (we get one in each bandoleer of M855), or a Brit Model (like this). It makes the process simpler while I am watching TV in the hotel room.
    I used a StripLULA in a recent CSAT class and it was well worth getting. Really saved a bunch of time loading mags when you already have the stripper clips filled.

Another thing I noted was, although I tested out my gear (2 ready tac mag holders and a mini dump pouch) before the class, the weather dictated much different clothing needs a the range on TD1/2. If you know it will be cold or rainy in your class you should probably pick clothing that will work with your gear to minimize the fumbling around. Hot weather probably isn't as much of an issue here.
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    By all means, just give M4 a nod by including a reference or a link to the thread.
    Will do brother, and for everybody else in our field I'm gonna thank you again for the well written thread.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    F2S,
    Outstanding post. Tons of excellent info.

Gonna pass this on to some friends that are thinking about signing up for their first training class.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Which type of training course would any of you gentlemen recommend for someone who's only formal training is from yearly weapons qualification?(Marine Corps, Table 1, 2 and 3)

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast