Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Thumb Safety Vs Ambidextrous?

Feedback Score

Single Thumb Safety Vs Ambidextrous?

I recently just got a 1911 with an ambidextrous safety and was thinking about changing it to a single as I am right handed. My previous 1911 had a single and I liked it just fine. It just seemed while holding the gun the right sided safety could get in the way with a higher grip?

What do you guys prefer and why?

Thx

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Most 1911 guru's say that adding an ambi safety creates a week point in the gun. I find that they help when transitioning to support hand. They also have been known to hinder operation by getting switched on by the index finger knuckle when shooting with a high grip like I do. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Both of my 1911's have an Ambi Thumb Safety, as well as my High Powers.

I have no intention of changing that as I do a lot of support hand shooting. Left sided barricades are shot with the left hand. Right handed barricades with the right hand. This exposes less of my body to the threat. I find manipulation of the Thumb Safety to be faster and more sure using my Thumb, no matter which hand is doing the shooting. I also spend a bit of time drawing my primary gun with my support hand, to simulate being wounded in the gun arm/hand before I can get the gun out of the holster. Having an ambi safety makes this easier as well.

For me, it's not about "easy" but about realistic threats I may face. Being able to manipulate the gun fast and safe is my goal. having an Ambi Thumb Safety helps with this by staying safe yet allowing me to be faster. That increase in speed may just be what is needed to save a life, even my own.

I use a "high thumb" grip, where I ride the Thumb Safety, and my support thumb pushes against the slide. I have not had a problem with an Ambi Safety, and my gun goes "BANG" when I desire it to, YMMV.

Biker

Feedback Score
    Try both and use what you like. I've never found a need for them even when doing weak hand shooting and handling of my 1911s.

Feedback Score
    I started out with a single side thumb safety and went to an ambi safety in the middle of some one-hand (strong and weak hand drawing, shooting, reloading, and malfunction clearance) training.

The ambi safety makes taking the safety off with my left hand much easier and faster, and doesn't require compromising my grip by putting my thumb on the same side as the rest of my fingers. Putting the safety back on is no easier, because it is easier for me to push up with my index finger than with my thumb when I shoot left handed.

There is no additional risk of knocking the safety on during shooting. When shooting with 2 hands, I ride the safety with my thumb. Without riding the safety, I would be more likely to knock the safety on with my right hand thumb than with anything else. When shooting with one hand, my thumb sits much lower, and there is no need to ride the safety. In fact, I'd rather not ride it with one hand in order to have a stronger grip on the gun.

The only disadvantage to an ambi safety is the increased likelihood of bumping the safety off safe while carrying the gun. To eliminate this risk, I had Matt Del Fatti make a holster which, instead of having a sweat shield, has a reinforced extension that fits under the safety, holding it in the on safe position. Due to the different configurations of safety levers available, if you want him to make such a holster for you, he will not only need to know your gun make/model but also the specific safety lever you are using.

Feedback Score
    I've got a hi power which is obviously not a 1911, however I do prefer the ambi safety. I keep a grip as high up as I can without getting kissed by the slide and no problem. Is the 1911 safety that much lower?

Have you considered bobbing the safety if you are concerned about accidentially setting it? I personally wouldn't remove it but that's just personal preference.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It seems like the options have been well summarized. An ambi safety of course adds mechanical "complexity" to the gun and another possible point of failure. From a strictly mechanical point of view, you'd be better off without one. Obviously, there are a lot of considerations beyond just mechanical simplicity though.

For instance, if you plan to use the gun in duty situations or just for self-defense, you likely want to train with both hands, shooting with your weak hand, and operating the thumb safety accordingly. And of course, if you are LH as I am, an ambi safety is a borderline necessity. I know a few LH guys who argue you can handle a RH gun without an ambi safety just as well, but they are in the minority and I've never found those arguments convincing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mute View Post
    I've never found a need for them even when doing weak hand shooting and handling of my 1911s.
    This.

V/r
    Uglyguns

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    It seems like the options have been well summarized. An ambi safety of course adds mechanical "complexity" to the gun and another possible point of failure. From a strictly mechanical point of view, you'd be better off without one. Obviously, there are a lot of considerations beyond just mechanical simplicity though.

For instance, if you plan to use the gun in duty situations or just for self-defense, you likely want to train with both hands, shooting with your weak hand, and operating the thumb safety accordingly. And of course, if you are LH as I am, an ambi safety is a borderline necessity. I know a few LH guys who argue you can handle a RH gun without an ambi safety just as well, but they are in the minority and I've never found those arguments convincing.
    I'm a lefty also and it's also a border line necessity for me also..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I dont care for ambi safeties on 1911s or ARs. Removl of the ambi-safety is typically the first thing I do when getting a new 1911

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast