Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Single Thumb Safety Vs Ambidextrous?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    If your qualification course requires left hand shooting, an ambi-may be a significant benefit. After injuring my right hand a few years ago and having to shoot left hand only, I quickly came to appreciate the assistance of an ambi-safety.
    Looks like we are not the only ones

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    I've been carrying a 1911 for over 15 years, on a daily basis and have never had the safety off when I unholster. Perhaps it's a matter of holster design on the left side of the gun rather than external stuff flicking it off.

Also, and this is a bit of a stretch, but is it possible that your detent spring on your safety is a little light? I've handled some 1911's where flicking the safety off was about as easy as can be whereas others took more effort. Perhaps that would be something to check into.
    Are you saying my love handles don't have my best interests in mind? You are absolutely right about the detent spring, though. The movement of the 1911 in my avatar is very much what you could call "deliberate."
    I do not ride to work in a helicopter or pretend to have insider information from my fifth cousin's friend about Delta Force, although I once served with a SEAL unit at Fort Monroe. It was a wedding party and I was 10. And no, I have not stopped talking about it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tfltackdriver View Post
    Are you saying my love handles don't have my best interests in mind? You are absolutely right about the detent spring, though. The movement of the 1911 in my avatar is very much what you could call "deliberate."
    Ha.... not commenting on love handles as I have more than my share at the moment.

Often times, the simplest solution is overlooked in lieu of more gear/different gear.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Doesn't really matter to me...I do have an ambi safety but its bobbed severly. I left just enough of a ledge for weak hand function. Like the gun itself I'd rather have it and not need it ...

Attachment 7023

Michael
    Last edited by HAMMERDROP; 12-11-11 at 15:50.
    The things we own end up owning us ...

If experience is the best teacher then pain is the best experience ! ...MRG

LUKE 22:35

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I think with the release of the new Wilson Bullet Proof ambi I may have one installed on my next 1911.
    "S/F"

"Every man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H.L Mencken

Feedback Score

Cool

I have two 1911s that came with ambi safeties but I don't really need them. I have never had one converted to an ambi.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    I have some fairly different views in regards to ambidextrous marksmanship. On the ambi pistol side, I argue for left-hand primary presentation of weapon in my "Carrying for Self Defense" video series. So, I would argue for either retaining the ambi safety or switching to a left-handed safety.

www.ambgun.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123