Thread: 'American Tactical' 62 gr. ammo

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

'American Tactical' 62 gr. ammo

Anyone ever tried this stuff? 62 grain, brass cased, Boxer primed, reloadable. I couldn't get the search function to work for me, otherwise I would have done that. It's in 30 round boxes and apparently made in Turkey.

I'm looking for something to use in a class, and this is significantly less expensive than most others. Otherwise, I'll just go with PMC or Federal Tactical.

Thanks-
    Pat

Feedback Score
    140 (100%)
    Of the four types of SS109/M855 rounds I've fired (Prvi Partisan, Winchester, Federal and American Tactical) that was the least accurate.

Of the 120 rounds I had, it did go bang every time though.

Feedback Score
    American Tactical 5.56 x 45mm 62 grain

This M855 “clone” is charged with ball powder, has crimped and sealed primers, asphalt sealant at the case-mouth and utilizes a 62 grain SS109-type projectile. This bullet is a full-metal jacket, boat-tailed, cannelured projectile with a steel penetrator insert.

The muzzle velocity of this load was 3077 fps with a standard deviation of 21 fps. America Tactical claims that this ammunition “is lot tested to assure less than one minute of angle” accuracy at 100 meters.

A 10-shot group of this load fired from an AR-15 with a free-floated, 20” Colt HBAR had an extreme spread of 4.49” and a mean radius of 1.33”.

For comparison, here are the results of accuracy testing of several other "mil-spec" loads.

Last edited by Molon; 12-21-10 at 22:49.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    Of the four types of SS109/M855 rounds I've fired (Prvi Partisan, Winchester, Federal and American Tactical) that was the least accurate.

Of the 120 rounds I had, it did go bang every time though.
    Prvi is my favorite range fodder for now. American Tactical did give me acouple of FTE problems but only 3-4 over the course of about 500rds. No problems with the ones listed above or with IMI.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the responses. Molon, thanks for taking the time to post the pics and report, very nice.
    Pat

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    I've shot it w/o issue. I'd buy more if available at a good price.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    The ATI ammunition is the same stuff as the MKE headstamp made in Turkey on the same exact machinery, according to my discussion with ATI sales team at SHOT 2010.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.