Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the HK MP7 PDW 4.6 x 30 mm been evaluated or fielded yet?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Question Has the HK MP7 PDW 4.6 x 30 mm been evaluated or fielded yet?

I wonder if the terminal performance of the HK MP7 PDW 4.6 x 30 mm been evaluated, and I wonder if the cartridge has yielded any field reports yet. I don't doubt that it will punch through a SAPI plate, but I wonder what it does on the other side, or against an unarmored target. Just guessing, but it would seem to be in the same category as the 5.7 and the .22 Magnum, but perhaps the higher velocity will make a difference in terminal effectiveness [?].

The 4.6x30mm ammunition is loaded with pointed all-steel bullets with brass jacket. Bullet weight is 1.6gram (25 grains) and the muzzle velocity is 725 m/s (ca. 2400 fps). Manufacturer claims the 100% penetration of the CRISAT bodyarmor (1.6mm of Titanium plus 20 layers of Kevlar) at the distance of 200 meters.Other types of ammunition, including tracer, frangible, spoon-tip(rapid-tumbling for use against unarmored human targets), blank and trill(inert) also available for MP7A1; ammunition is currently manufactured in UK by BAE Systems / Radway Green plant.

http://world.guns.ru/smg/de/hk-mp7-pdw-e.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it would be less effective than the 5.7. Its a lighter, smaller diameter round going marginally faster.

I dont think I would feel undergunned with a select fire version but I wouldnt choose it over other options.

But I could be completely wrong.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    4.6x30mm has seen limited fielding in combat; performance is on par with similar small caliber PDW weapon systems. The MP7 is a compact, lightweight platform that is easily controlled when used full auto while trying to get enough hits on the bad guys to stop their hostile actions.

4.6x30mm does NOT go through SAPI or eSAPI plates; CRISAT is a joke...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 12-22-10 at 14:44.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Thank you!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have heard that it isn't bad for hosing down a guy who doesn't know you're there but if their blood is up it's hard to put them down.

Feedback Score
    My boss carried one for awhile in Astan. She is itty bitty, and it suited her, but she had to give it back once we left that AO. It's a cute gun on a petite woman.

Both Germans and Norwegians are currently using them in Astan. I am looking at a Norwegian one hanging on the wall next to a bunch of HK 416s as I type this.

Feedback Score

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    It's a cute gun on a petite woman.
    I'll assume you didn't say that to her face at the moment the picture was taken.

Dano5326 Guest
    The MP7 has successfully assisted many persons on their travels elsewhere.... and so have ice picks and screw drivers. Each tool has it's utility.

Feedback Score
    That's a LOT of offset between the optic and bore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Discobobby View Post
    I'll assume you didn't say that to her face at the moment the picture was taken.
    You'd be amazed. She's the best boss I've had in a couple decades. I can and have said the most amazing things to her face, which usually turn into the coolest conversations.

I'm not a big fan of the PDW, though. Especially in light of how small of a platform you can put 5.56 into.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast