Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glucosomine Chondroiton...does it really work?

Feedback Score

Glucosomine Chondroiton...does it really work?

I am getting ready to hit the fifth installment of decades and was wondering if anyone is using Glucosomine Chondroiton with any significant results?

It has only been in the last few years that I am feeling some tenderness in my joints and am even at the point where I have some mild concern for "how long before my joints really start giving me trouble."

I realize I was hard on my joints in my youth doing XGames style BMX stuff and then transitioning into endurance style motorcycle racing, while at the same time, trying to keep a well built physique, through bodybuilding; all of which has me here with this question.

I continue to workout with weights, and feel the best during my first two months of lifting after a three month layoff for rest (3 mos off / 9 on), but the last couple of years has me getting sore in the joints and the soreness not really going away like it used to. My Dr. does not believe I have arthritis, and xrays show I have a decent cartilage. I have started a GC run and am into the second month of it. I did the loading amount that was recommended and have been faithful in this regimine. The deal is this; I am not feeling any different, yet. Is anyone using GC and getting any positive results from it? The crap is expensive as heck, and if it is not really helping anyone else, I'll just take Advil and use the GC money for ammo.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There isn't a shred of peer-reviewed evidence to indicate that glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate has any beneficial effect whatsoever on cartilage. The cartilage of your joints is either gone or it's not...and if it is, it's never coming back. Sorry.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I believe it will help you keep it. I started taking it 15 years ago when my knees started giving me a bit of crap and they have felt a %1000 better since then. No more knee problems.

The other thing that is a huge help is Omega 3 capsules. The also help the joints feel better too.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 12-23-10 at 18:57.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    There isn't a shred of peer-reviewed evidence to indicate that glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate has any beneficial effect whatsoever on cartilage. The cartilage of your joints is either gone or it's not...and if it is, it's never coming back. Sorry.
    Yea, I've read some things where people took placebos and Glucosomine and pretty much reported the same results. I wonder if it has anything to do with how an individual absorbs it or utilizes it as opposed to someone else. I don't disagree with you in that once you put some serious wear on your joints, it is a lost cause. Otherwise, we wouldn't need artificial joint replacements. But, I figured I would give it a try, just in case.
    Last edited by 300WM; 12-23-10 at 20:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    I believe it will help you keep it. I started taking it 15 years ago when my knees started giving me a bit of crap and they have felt a %1000 better since then. No more knee problems.

The other thing that is a huge help is Omega 3 capsules. The also help the joints feel better too.
    I'm definitely down with the Omega 3's. I would probably have to inject WD40 into my knees and elbows if it wasn't for O3's.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I don't disagree with you in that once you put some serious wear on your joints, it is a lost cause. Otherwise, we wouldn't need artificial joint replacements. But, I figured I would give it a try, just in case.
    It won't help you - it's no more helpful for joints than omega-3 fatty acids, but it won't hurt you either, so if you can afford it and you can think it helps you, you should do it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Last time I looked at literature was some 5 or more years ago, and chondroitine regimens were similar to moderately dosed NSAID regimens in terms of pain reduction. That had led to some docs recommending using chondroitine for DJD in patients who can't take nonsteroidal non-narcotic pain killers. There was no evidence on cartilage preservation, let alone regeneration.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I take it and Omega 3s daily and yes I have noticed that my joints don't hurt as much especially my knees that were heavily damaged playing football and at UPS. If I forget for a few days I get a reminder by stiffness and pain.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Last time I looked at literature was some 5 or more years ago, and chondroitine regimens were similar to moderately dosed NSAID regimens in terms of pain reduction. That had led to some docs recommending using chondroitine for DJD in patients who can't take nonsteroidal non-narcotic pain killers. There was no evidence on cartilage preservation, let alone regeneration.
    I looked at this carefully about 3 years ago too because I'd been taking glucosamine/CS for years and my knees weren't any better. The literature in two large randomized controlled trials showed that chondroitin, omega-3, and even Synvisc joint injection was no better than placebo. The placebo effect can be very powerful for some people but it did nothing for me.

Anyway, my new knees are about 10 months old. I did two defensive handgun courses and a carbine course last summer as well as several of our bi-weekly Tac Team training exercises. Once that knee joint gets to a certain point, I'd choose stainless steel and UHMW polyethylene over chondroitin any time.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The basal joint degradation in both thumbs has pained me far less this winter since I started taking G/C/MSM.

There is also a real world study at KSU vet school on fish oil supplements in arthritic dogs. The dogs on the fish oil supplements had singificantly improved ROM and ease of movement.

No placebo effect in dogs.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast