Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glucosomine Chondroiton...does it really work?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJ556 View Post

Various drugs over the years have been derived from anecdotal evidence , example : aspirin was extracted from pine bark which was used in folk medicine.
    That was 1897.

Feedback Score
    One of the biggest money makers for the pharma industry, Lovastatin was isolated from natural sources in the 1980s.

My point is there is some value in natural supplements. But it requires careful study to find the ones that do have scientific validation. You are just not going to find large clinical studies if that is your sole basis for the efficacy of such products. I use turmeric supplements for soreness and pain and it does seem to work for me. It can however cause stomach upsets for some people.
    Last edited by FMJ556; 12-25-10 at 00:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I ditched the walker for a cane after about a week, but my operation was a muscle-sparing (sub-vastis) unicompartmental replacment on both. The recovery from that operation is typically shorter. I was back at work after 3 weeks, but it took 3 months before I had the quadriceps strength for water skiing.
    That is good to know. Good to know you can still water ski. It is one of our favorite pasttimes here in FL.

Maybe I expect too much, too soon. Contrary to all of the literature on the matter, I will do a 6mo. run and see how it is, then. If it does not help by then, it's back to asprin and ibuprofen.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123