Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scar Owners: Is this Normal or a Problem?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Scar Owners: Is this Normal or a Problem?

I have close to 300 rds. through my SCAR 16. I have cleaned it 3 times. Once before I shot it, after it's first range trip, and after my last range trip when I shot 100 rounds. I shot the same types of ammo that I shot my first trip. Federal XM193, WWB 5.56 Q3131A1, and PMC Bronze 55 gr. No malfunctions.

When I was cleaning this time, I noticed something that I hadn't the last two times that I was cleaning. Some of the bolt lugs had dings on them. Some had what look like small gashes. The dings and gashes are at the edge of the bolt lug closes to the chamber, and some gashes are 1/3 down and about 2/3 down the lug away from the chamber. The ones that are 2/3 the way down are minimal. But two of the dents on the ends are a bit deep, and have displaced a little metal. Is this normal, or is there an issue with my SCAR? Thanks.

I got rid of my phoitos, as they are just too blurry. A special thanks to Hootiewho for allowing me to use his photos for illustration of my issues.

Last edited by No Bananas; 12-27-10 at 10:50.
    Have Fun, Be Safe

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Set your camera on macro mode and try the pics again. I'll check my bolt as soon as I'm done watching "It's a Wonderful Life".

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ok, then. Ask Uncle Billy if he had any issues like this with his SCAR. My Camera does not have a Macro setting.
    Last edited by No Bananas; 12-23-10 at 21:16.
    Have Fun, Be Safe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    take a look at the stickied thread: scar vs ar detailed look.

Look at the bolt comparison pic does it look like this?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shittercrewchief View Post
    take a look at the stickied thread: scar vs ar detailed look.

Look at the bolt comparison pic does it look like this?
    Great idea! Yes, it does. The lugs have the same divot like gouges on them as in Hootiewho's pictures.

In particular, if you look at the pic below. On the scar bolt, look st the lug at the 2 o'clock position, you;ll notice that there appears to be gouging/wear on the upper left side of the lug, and the upper right side of the lug. This is what I'm talking about. I'm assuming it's A-OK. I haven't had any issues with accuracy or function, and the barrel seem srock-tight. So, I'll keep shootin and see how it goes.
    I hope that Hootiewho doesn't mind me using his pic for illustration
    Last edited by No Bananas; 12-23-10 at 21:51.
    Have Fun, Be Safe

Feedback Score
    That's normal. The first time I saw it I was worried too.

Quote Originally Posted by No Bananas View Post
    Great idea! Yes, it does. The lugs have the same divot like gouges on them as in Hootiewho's pictures.

In particular, if you look at the pic below. On the scar bolt, look st the lug at the 2 o'clock position, you;ll notice that there appears to be gouging/wear on the upper left side of the lug, and the upper right side of the lug. This is what I'm talking about. I'm assuming it's A-OK. I haven't had any issues with accuracy or function, and the barrel seem srock-tight. So, I'll keep shootin and see how it goes.
    I hope that Hootiewho doesn't mind me using his pic for illustration

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It's on mine too and I don't believe it is wear. It appears to be machined into the bolt face on purpose. You'll notice it's right where the bolt catch impacts the front of the bolt, so I would assume it is most likely for stress relief.

I asked Uncle Billy, but he misplaced his SCAR soon after he bought it.

Feedback Score
    That divot is there to improve contact between the bolt and bolt catch when it is locked to the rear.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_H View Post
    That divot is there to improve contact between the bolt and bolt catch when it is locked to the rear.

Stephen
    Actually I'm referring to the wear on the lug at 2 o'clock that has the wear on the left and right sides of the lug, near the top.
    Last edited by No Bananas; 12-24-10 at 12:32.
    Have Fun, Be Safe

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I asked Uncle Billy, but he misplaced his SCAR soon after he bought it.
    Well dang it, don't let Mr. Gower find it!!
    Have Fun, Be Safe

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast